Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #1

To those who may have done this. While dumping my black water tank I closed the valve and left the flushing hose connected to the RV. The hose was ON. You guessed it !!!!! The black water tank became so full that the lip holding it in place broke off and split the top.This caused the contents to spill out and collapse the insulation and underbelley. Upon further observation it was seen that the tank is held in place by a 2" lip on both sides of the tank. This lip is,on one side, placed on top of the frame. The other side has a removable piece that is bolted the full length under the other lip holding the tank in place. The tank is held in place by these lips. No straps under the tank. In reading other situations of this nature someone asked why the water did not go up the vent pipe and not burst the tank. It is my belief that the water in the tank became so heavy that it caused the lip on the tank to fail. I have observed first hand where the lip broke off. Has anyone had this happen lately. Will cost $2000.00 to have new tank and underbelley installed. Am talking to insurance co at this time. Just a warning..pay attention when dumping...I did not !!
Don Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #2

To those who may have done this. While dumping my black water tank I closed the valve and left the flushing hose connected to the RV. The hose was ON. You guessed it !!!!! The black water tank became so full that the lip holding it in place broke off and split the top.This caused the contents to spill out and collapse the insulation and underbelley. Upon further observation it was seen that the tank is held in place by a 2" lip on both sides of the tank. This lip is,on one side, placed on top of the frame. The other side has a removable piece that is bolted the full length under the other lip holding the tank in place. The tank is held in place by these lips. No straps under the tank. In reading other situations of this nature someone asked why the water did not go up the vent pipe and not burst the tank. It is my belief that the water in the tank became so heavy that it caused the lip on the tank to fail. I have observed first hand where the lip broke off. Has anyone had this happen lately. Will cost $2000.00 to have new tank and underbelley installed. Am talking to insurance co at this time. Just a warning..pay attention when dumping...I did not !!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your crummy luck.....I was wondering if that would happen myself. Thanks for the heads-up!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello Don Mac,

First of all, welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member. We're looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures in your rig and are sorry to hear about your bursted black tank.

You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 AM   #5

Had a neighbor that worked at an RV dealership. Talking with him, I was surprised to hear how ofter this happens. Seems like a mod of installing a couple of straps when empty (between trips) isn't that bad of an idea. I don't have the flushing device but have thought about installing it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
I have the flushing device and am religious about its use when the valve is closed. After I have flushed, I close the valve and let the tank begin to fill. I watch my watch and turn off the water after exactly 1.5 minutes. I do nothing during this time but watch my watch. This gives me about a 1/4 full tank charged with fresh water (well - it started off fresh) for the next use.

Sorry about your accident. My tanks have straps going across them.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #7

I don't think fresh water is any heavier than black water so I would be happy that it happened rinsing instead of with a full tank.I would be looking at a better system to support the tank.A good bump going down the road with a partial tank could get messy.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bldrbob:
I don't think fresh water is any heavier than black water so I would be happy that it happened rinsing instead of with a full tank.I would be looking at a better system to support the tank.A good bump going down the road with a partial tank could get messy.
BOB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Before i tear the belly off my coach....what make is yours with no cross support? (although I seriously doubt mine has any either)

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 07-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #9

I have a National Tradewinds.The tanks sit on shelves and are completly supported.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry I was actually curious as to what make DonMac owned....I know I've read several instances where Everest fresh water tanks fell out and am guessing the black tank isn't supported any better.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #11

I own a 2003 Keystone Everest 363K. Tanks are not supported by straps at all.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #12

Happened with my Keystone Challenger last winter in Az.Was backflushing and got called away.Sounded like a shotgun going off and shook the whole trailer.Can't remember what the tank cost around $300.00 I think and put it in myself.Lesson learned.Jim
beliveauj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Wow, what a mess. I have had so many friends with 5vrs and MHs have problems while back flushing that I am glad we did not purchase that option. We just fill the take from inside, holding the pedal down then dumping the clean water after each dump. We have never had a black tank problem or odor. Even better we have never backflushed into the rig.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote