Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
We replaced all four of our "G" load tires last summer at a Goodyear store and cost almost $1200 out the door.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #16

Hey Tall Texan,
We had a blowout on our tire, same size, rating, load and all as your goodyears, but ours were Greenball tires 14ply. We had to replace 4 out of 5 tires (spare) on our 12,000 mile cross country trip. In WY we spent $140 for the tire, mounted, balanced, siped and all. We spent $280 for the exact same tire in CA. So $295 sounds in the ball park. Hope all is well now.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #17

I also recently experienced a blow out with the "G" rated Greenball tires. I also had one this past summer when towing thru Las Vegas in 110 degree heat. Both tires where 2 years old. I now have the Goodyears on order so as to give them a try. $275 ea.
A friend of mine recently told me that trailer tires go bad from sitting in the same position much of the time. Unlike car tires that are continually flexed, the trailer tires don't get that and this non activity accelerates their deterioration/failure. He said that ideally we should put the trailer up on blocks removing the load on the tires when it is not in use and I would get longer life from my tires. I've never heard of doing such a thing and don't really buy into it. Is there any sense to doing this?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A friend of mine recently told me that trailer tires go bad from sitting in the same position much of the time. Unlike car tires that are continually flexed, the trailer tires don't get that and this non activity accelerates their deterioration/failure. He said that ideally we should put the trailer up on blocks removing the load on the tires when it is not in use and I would get longer life from my tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that too but I don't jack mine up, I'm not sure if it's true. What I heard is that there is a molecular change in the tires compounds when they aren't flexed regularly. I've also heard that the steel belts will tend to deteriorate at the contact spot when sitting in storage with weight on them.

I think irregardless of what you do, whether it be lift the weight off, drive them frequently, put a cover over them, or to remove and store in them a dark place, your tires will still need replacement after 5 or 6 years. I replaced two on my now 5 year old HH last summer when I could feel a bump starting on the tread.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #19

I wish I could get 5 years. Right now I seem to only get 2 years before the tires begin to come apart. The first one I usually attribute to some cause, when the second one happens I know its time to replace them all.
I do store my trailer near Blythe during the summer months where the temps get up to 115 degrees and it is a very very dry environment. Maybe all these little factors ( heat, molecular change, steel belt deterioration from sitting, weight) add up to decreasing my tire life.