Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Blue Ox Bedsaver

Any thoughts on this product? Seems like a no brainer. I have B&W 18K companion 5th wheel for turnoverball gooseneck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Seem's like a good ideal, I have heard of this happening.
seems like you have to go up high and then lower it in between
it and the hitch.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Here's more info
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/bed-s...ate-90345.html
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Here is a considerably less costly bed saver option: Butch's Services 5th Wheel Latch Kit

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

He doesn't answer for 4 months. Looks good.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

I've got the Blue Ox Bedsaver installed on my Pullrite Superglide 4400. It sits below the normal hitching height, so it doesn't get in the way with hitching or unhitching.

The only negative I can see is if you raise the tailgate on your truck before doing the "pull test" on the hitch, and the Bedsaver has to catch the trailer king pin, it may allow the pin box to slide back into the raised tailgate. But not an issue if you make raising the tailgate the last step before driving away or if you have a notched tailgate.

On the positive side, I don't have to reach into the bed and remember to slide a pin on the back of the hitch. It works automatically without thought.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

How do you a test pull ?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post
He doesn't answer for 4 months. Looks good.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I sent two emails. No response.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I sent two emails. No response.
Have you tried calling him (419-265-2506)?

I ordered online and received it within a week. Drilled four holes per his instructions (drill bit included in the install kit) and bolted it on. Took about 30 minutes to install.

Looks sturdy enough to do the job - but I don't have any plans on testing it out to be sure.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
How do you a test pull ?
First and formost, visually inspect the hitch to insure the jaws are closed. With the tow vehicle in drive, lock the trailer brakes using the brake controller and step on the accelerator a bit. The trailer brakes will hold the 5er in place while the truck tries to move. I can't tell you how many people coming running when I do this yelling my trailer brakes are locked up. It is a good way to insure the hitch is latched.

I always leave the landing jacks down and off the ground about an 1 1/2" so if the hitch does uncouple, it will land on the landing jacks and not my bed rails.

I used to have a Blue-Ox bedsaver. At the time I was still a homeowner and it got in the way of my weekly task of taking grass clippings to the dump (I always left the hitch in year round). I finally took it off. Hindsight being 20/20, and now being fulltime, I should have held onto it so I could put it back on.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
How do you a test pull ?
The way I was taught on how to do a pull test is: Hitch up the truck and trailer, connect the electrical cable and brake safety wire. Raise the legs up about 1 to 2 inches above the ground. Start truck and engage the brake controller to set and hold brakes on trailer. Put truck in drive and pull away very gently, the truck and camper should not separate and the brakes on the camper should hold you in place.

I have a Blue Ox Bed saver also I bought one after doing a pull test. The camper and truck separated because I had High hitch. The pin box caught the tail gate slightly, cost $75 dollars to fix the tail gate.

I was at an RV store the other day asking about service issue on my 5er and the service manger asked me if that was my tuck out in the lot, I said yes it was. He asked if I would like to pull for him to take 5er’s to shows since the companies pick-up was having the bed replaced because they dropped a 5er on the bed. I believe he was gigging a fellow employ (Manager) in the store that drop the 5er. I just laugh and said I already had a full time job “Retirement”.

Jim W.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you tried calling him (419-265-2506)?

I ordered online and received it within a week. Drilled four holes per his instructions (drill bit included in the install kit) and bolted it on. Took about 30 minutes to install.

Looks sturdy enough to do the job - but I don't have any plans on testing it out to be sure.
Only email on site (I think). Will try. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
2013 Silverado 3500 HD Crew Cab 8 foot bed, Cummings/Allison.
Jeffery, how did you get a Cummings in a Chevy?

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS