Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #15

I followed what 3 or 4 others had to say about the ones they had for 2 or 3 years before I got mine. I put a hour meter on it after I got it, also glad I got the elect start. Do you know yet who you plan to buy from?
Doug

2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohorse View Post
I just received my Boliy yesterday. Put oil and gas in it and it fired up on the 2nd pull. I pulled the side cover off to view where the sparkplug was located and notice that '' designed in Japan '' was stamped on the carb. The gen purred along and was quieter than I expected. So far, it appears to be a good buy. Time will tell though.
In 08, when I bought my Boliy, the seller told me if I had to have it worked on to take it to a Honda service shop, as they are very similar in build.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #17

Thanks. Last night I put my order in for a Boliy 3600sie with Tom over at bottomlinetrading. The 2012 model w/ elec. start (for my wife). I'm paying $1,090 plus free shipping. He offers two year on parts & 1 year on parts and labor. If I have a problem I can't fix, I pay shipping the Boliy back to Texas (Bottomline's store location) but they pay for shipping back to me once repaired. Can't wait. I'll keep you posted on how it performs.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I followed what 3 or 4 others had to say about the ones they had for 2 or 3 years before I got mine. I put a hour meter on it after I got it, also glad I got the elect start. Do you know yet who you plan to buy from?
Doug
Hey WD, One site showed a guy wrapping the meter wire several times around the spark plug wire & tying it off with a cable tie. He then mounted the meter to the access door on back w/ 2 screws. How did you install your "hour meter"? - CH
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #19

If yours has the elect start you don't want the hour meter that he has, you want the 12 volt kind. I think this is the one I have. I used the redwire from the 12v charger side.
Hour Meter — 2in. Round | Hour Meters + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment

Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #20

Thanks Doug. I'll try that & keep ya'll posted.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #21

We are looking to purchase a 5th wheel and wondered about the reasoning and benefit of a Boliy verses a Onan? The fiver we are looking at is prewired for a genset. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #22

You wouldn't want to use a Boliy in the spot set aside for a genset. You will want the Boliy to be setting in open air because of the exhaust.
Doug
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #23

Doug - where did you find the hour meter for gen ? Been looking for one; same reasons
Ray
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #24

Hello there ole buddy. Ray, I think this is the one I have.
Hour Meter — 2in. Round | Hour Meters + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment

You want one that's not very deep.
Doug
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #25

Morning Folks - Finally got around to cranking up the Boliy preparing for a camping trip. First off, the elec. start wouldn't work. So I opened the front access door to find the blk/wht neutral wire not connected. Snap it together & now the starter works. But only 2 times that it started the gen then completely dead. I use the pull cord & it ran great for a half hour. Then tried again with the elec start, still dead. I decided to not waste time & call Tommy over at Boliy in Texas for help. He said to open front outlet panel to see if battery recharge wire was not connected. It wasn't. I connected the wire (located high above under the lip of panel - hard to see) to a four prong microchip piece. Now after charging the battery for 1 hour, the elec start works over & over again starting the Boliy. The battery voltage HAS to be 13 volts or more for the starter to work. Taking the Boliy up later today to see how it run the A/C on my TT -- I'll keep ya'll posted
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
IC2

Based on what I've read here and another RV forum, I purchased a new 3600SiE.

It arrived a couple weeks ago and with free shipping, the 1100 bucks seems a pretty good price for 3600 peak reserve watts. I pulled it out of the box, put the oil in the engine, added a couple quarts of gas just to see if it would start - it did, almost instantaneously. Then along came Irene and her many teardrops and breezy exhalations. The generator output was backfed to the house as I hadn't had a chance to wire home circuitry correctly, so this might not be a good trial. It ran the refrigerator just fine and about half of the lights. The other half of the lights were on the other leg of the system The GE Profile microwave at 1200 watts made it gasp until the governor caught up but then not a problem. Two coffee pots too - just fine. It did have a skip, but after about 24 hours of operation, that went away - I will check the plug gap and carb idle screw (if it has one). Next test - will it start and run the 13.5 Btu air conditioner on my 5er along with some lights? My guess, no problem.

It is a bit noisier then expected - probably more then advertised, but for sure quieter then my neighbors contractor generator and a heluva lot quieter then my old 6.5KW Dayton/11Hp Briggs and Stratton I/C clunk

I'll change the oil in a few days, it is new but is now broken in and any manufacturing crud needs to be drained.

So far, so good
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #27

Back feeding your house from a generator is not something you should be doing you could be energizing the utilities lines putting people at risk of electrocution
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #28
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNYdave View Post
Back feeding your house from a generator is not something you should be doing you could be energizing the utilities lines putting people at risk of electrocution
I know your response means well but isn't really well thought out. Back feeding will NOT work without pulling the main breaker. A 3000 watt generator would be trying to feed the entire neighborhood and not many home generators(read that as none) have the cojones to do that. Secondly, and because of the fact that there still might be some back feed or other linemen working on other sections of line and energize it, they ground and isolate an entire area - and IF it was possible that a single run, say for a couple of homes was being back fed after a breaker/transformer, instantaneous death to that generator when that line was grounded by the power company.

One more observation about that Boliy - it is electrically very "noisy". Radios, including my truck on AM were almost useless in the vicinity. It makes me wonder if that "noise" could damage a computer or TV. A separate ground might 'cure' that - we'll see.