Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I know your response means well but isn't really well thought out. Back feeding will NOT work without pulling the main breaker. A 3000 watt generator would be trying to feed the entire neighborhood and not many home generators(read that as none) have the cojones to do that. Secondly, and because of the fact that there still might be some back feed or other linemen working on other sections of line and energize it, they ground and isolate an entire area - and IF it was possible that a single run, say for a couple of homes was being back fed after a breaker/transformer, instantaneous death to that generator when that line was grounded by the power company.

One more observation about that Boliy - it is electrically very "noisy". Radios, including my truck on AM were almost useless in the vicinity. It makes me wonder if that "noise" could damage a computer or TV. A separate ground might 'cure' that - we'll see.

Back feeding your house is a DANGEROUS and IRRESPONSIBLE operation,
pulling the breaker on your panel only disconnects the hot leads from the street not the common or grounds, but don't take my word for it call your Utility Co and ask them if the mind!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNYdave View Post
Back feeding your house is a DANGEROUS and IRRESPONSIBLE operation,
pulling the breaker on your panel only disconnects the hot leads from the street not the common or grounds, but don't take my word for it call your Utility Co and ask them if the mind!

Fine - noted

If you care to go back to read WHY this was done, maybe your expertise would have been not so supercilious and a waste of iRV bandwidth.

Again, thanks for the useless comment

Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Fine - noted

If you care to go back to read WHY this was done, maybe your expertise would have been not so supercilious and a waste of iRV bandwidth.

Again, thanks for the useless comment
I read why it was done! (you never got around to wireing a disconnect or transfer switch to your house.)
as for my comment it was far from useless hopefully it will keep someone from injuring or killing someone. if you're hell bent on using your generator to power your house during a power outage try getting some extension cords and not putting people at risk.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #32

I have a 25KW on my house with a transfer switch and it just switches the hots, not the ground or neutral. It's a two pole. Which most all are.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to Bobbyh
Hi All,
Does any one know if you can connect 2 of these Boily's together like you can 2 Honda's.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #34

I have not heard of a kit, but call (Google) The Boily Guy and ask him, he knows everything about them and sales everything.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #35

Back to first impressions

After using my generator for a few months I ran into a problem. The AC output would drop to zero volts after 20 seconds or so. I contacted Boliy Generator (West Coast Distributor) and was sent an Inverter Module, a simple replacement items for those handy with basic tools. Below is a procedure I wrote up in case anyone else may experience this problem.

So far I am still very satisfied with this generator.

How to replace the Inverter Module on a red case Boliy Pro3600Si Inverter Generator

TIP: For best results, keep generator vertical as casing is being removed or replaced. Since you will need to access screws on underside of casing, it is convenient to rest generator on a table or work bench for easy access. You may also want a 2x4 or block of wood to raise one side for removal of hardware.

TIP: The only casing panel which should never to be removed for routine maintenance is the front one(containing outlets, recoil start, etc.). Because play in the electrical wires is limited, stretching or damaging wiring, or breaking a connection, can occur when front of casing is disconnected from underside panel.

REMOVING LEFT END PANEL, FOR REPLACEMENT OF INVERTER MODULE

A) Remove 4 Philips head screws securing left-end panel. Slide off the panel and set aside
B) The bottom of the Inverter Module is mounted vertically to the base of the generator. For ease of access remove the forward left panel case mount directly over the top of the Inverter Module by unscrewing the two Phillips head screws.
C) Remove the YELLOW wire from the upper right corner of the Inverter Heat Sync with a 10mm socket. Set the screw aside for reuse.
D) Position a block of wood under the left side of the generator to allow access to the two Inverter mounting screws accessed from the bottom left side of the generator
E) Remove the two 8mm screws using a socket. Set the screws aside for reuse.
F) the Inverter board is now free to be remove from the generator. Carefully remove the three connectors. Note these are locking connectors and require some care in freeing the retaining clips so as not to damage the connectors.
G) If the two wire (red & black wire) connector is of different type connector then what's on you generator you must change the connector on the new module. Cut off the connector and wires from you old module about two inches from the connector. Cut off the connector in same location on the new module. Strip the wire back far enough so crimp connector may be applied or solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing to insulate them.
H) Reconnect the three cable connectors, place the new module in the generator, replace the panel mount hardware, connect the Yellow wire to the heat sync w/ 10mm screw, replace the two (8mm) screws mounting the Inverter Module, Test the generator if successful turn generator off and replace left side panel with 4 screws..
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #36

I'm just wondering, how much does it cost and how much does it weigh? The reason I'm asking is I have a Honda 3000. It's pricy and weighs 134 lbs. I just bought it and have not started my winter trip to the Florida Keys where I expect to use it mostly for charging my 6 v. batteries . I gave it a shake down cruise and it is at 54 dbs. It runs the ac and microwave very well. Wayne 43
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-43 View Post
I'm just wondering, how much does it cost and how much does it weigh? The reason I'm asking is I have a Honda 3000. It's pricy and weighs 134 lbs. I just bought it and have not started my winter trip to the Florida Keys where I expect to use it mostly for charging my 6 v. batteries . I gave it a shake down cruise and it is at 54 dbs. It runs the ac and microwave very well. Wayne 43
Hot links to a Boliy website are posted on the first page of this thread. Weight is around 80#, wet. When you read the specs you will discover they best a Honda 3000 in nearly every category- except service centers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #38

Stick with your Honda--one of the best available.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #39

Hi, It cost me $990 with free shipping from Bottomlinetrading in Texas. It weighs around 73 lbs dry. I am very happy with this little gen. It powered my 1994 26' Jayco T.T. 13.5 btu A/C with no trouble in 90+ degree heat. It had a rough break-in time due to heat and would overheat thereby trip the gen breaker to prevent heat overload. I also installed an "hour meter' to keep track when to change oil and follow maint. schedule. After that, it ran all day flawlessly. And saves gas too on "econo-mode". Hope this helps. -- CH
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #40

Hello Kech, what does an inverter module look like? Can you post a photo of this?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #41
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbu9 View Post
Hi, It cost me $990 with free shipping from Bottomlinetrading in Texas. It weighs around 73 lbs dry. I am very happy with this little gen. It powered my 1994 26' Jayco T.T. 13.5 btu A/C with no trouble in 90+ degree heat. It had a rough break-in time due to heat and would overheat thereby trip the gen breaker to prevent heat overload. I also installed an "hour meter' to keep track when to change oil and follow maint. schedule. After that, it ran all day flawlessly. And saves gas too on "econo-mode". Hope this helps. -- CH
Sounds like a pull rope start at that price and weight -
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Bobbyh
Hi Everybody,
I got my Boliy about 2 weeks ago. ( Cost 1080.00 Delivered) Just got the transition Switch installed on the Sticks and bricks. Put oil and gas in the Generator. The battery was dead, but it started with the first pull of the pull cord. The generator ran my selected units in the house perfectly for about a 30 minute test. (Refrigerator, Gas Heat, some lights, TV and surround system and computer. Nor sure what the total load is but there was no problems. I allowed the generator to run for 6 more hours so it would charge the battery. Unfortunately 2 days later the battery is dead again. I also found a small gas leak. I had to tighten the fitting on the gas tank. I took about 2 full turns.
My conclusion is the generator will work for me during power outages just fine, but I am not sure the electric start is worth money if I can't keep the battery charged.
Bob & Annie