Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Boliy Generator, first impression

Just received my new Boliy generator, 3600 Si/E . After adding oil and gas and a giving it a good visual inspection I opened the fuel supply knob, pulled out the ckoke, turned on the start sw., inserted the key and turned it to start. The engine turned over three or four time rapidly (this model is electric start) and fired right up. I let the engine run for a few minuted at normal idle speed then engaged the "Economy Switch", the engine slowed by a 100 or so RPM and idled very quietly. I let it run under no load for about 10 min. then plugged in the 30 amp power plug from my 5th wheel. with only the converter/charger turned on it only placed a 35 watt load on the generator, which didn't even notice. I then turned off the economy sw. and turned on the air conditioner fan and then the full AC (a 13,500 BTU unit), the generator briefly slower and then rapidly returned back to a stable run speed. after several minutes I cycled on the microwave with basicly the same brief slowing and rapid return to a stable speed.
I am very impressed with this generator, it's fairly quiet, has a nice clean appearance and easy access panels. It will receive it's first in field test May 7th when we go to the Ponderosa National Forest Campground. I'll report on any issues that may come up after that trip

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Look forward to reading your field report. We are seriously considering this gennie.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

I have had mine for about 6 mo now and am very pleased with how it works. My HitchHiker has a 15000 BTU ac and it pulls it just fine. I did put a hour meter on mine when it was new, so I can change the oil at 50 hours. Standing right beside it I get 70 DB's, and if I walk 20 feet away I get 50 DB's. Yes it's very quite. I carry it on a rack on the back or the fifth wheel.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

I've owned one since 08 and feel well satisfied with my purchase. I'd like to have the electric-start model, but my pull-start model will probably outlive me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the same one in December, primarily for our time at Quartzsite. Overall, I'm quite pleased.

The 1st start was tough, I probably did not wait for the carb to fill. I used the electric start. After the 1st start it normally starts on the 2nd pull, the choke must be pulled even when warm.

It will run up to 10 hours lightly loaded. Starting the microwave or heatpump is far better with the eco switch off. We used it one night while broken down in the Tulsa Freightliner parking lot, a week dry camping at Q'site and 2 days getting Toy-tote added to our 5ver in Lake Havasu City. I normally ran it a couple hours in the morning to make breakfast & re-charge batteries and 3-4 hours in the evening to watch TV and charge batts again, have 4 GC 6 vdc batteries & 2,000 watt inverter. Each days runs used about 1/2 tank of fuel.

It will start my Rigid air compressor with no back pressure, will not start it against pressure.

It appears to have a float type carb so have been unable to use Honda type extended run fuel tank.

The sound level was about the same as my neighbors pair of 2kw Honda gens. With the windows closed in the 5ver & gen sitting right next to the trailer, sound was barely audible, the furnace completely covered the noise when it kicked in.

Bill Link
Branson, MO
Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #6

Can't wait for the report.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I have had mine for about 6 mo now and am very pleased with how it works. My HitchHiker has a 15000 BTU ac and it pulls it just fine. I did put a hour meter on mine when it was new, so I can change the oil at 50 hours. Standing right beside it I get 70 DB's, and if I walk 20 feet away I get 50 DB's. Yes it's very quite. I carry it on a rack on the back or the fifth wheel.
Doug

I was very impressed by it when you came to visit.
great little compact genny.

the lack of NOISE really got me, its pretty darn quiet
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #8

Returned from our first trip with the Boily generator. Our site was in the Tonto National Forest at the Ponderosa Campgrounds outside of Payson AZ The altitude there was 5,800' and I used the standard carb jet, the generator started and ran with no problem. Since the daytime temp didn't make it to 80 degrees there was no need to run the AC. However, we did use our Microwave and did run the TV to view a DVD, our total run time was about 3 hours. Everything worked as expected, I'm still very impressed with this generator.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #9

With all the storms and flooding we have had in the last few weeks here in Arkansas we have been without power a time or two. My wife and I both use C-PAP Machines to sleep so we moved out to the Hitch Hiker for one night and run the Boliy.
It's mounted on a rack in the trailer hitch.
I now have 29 hours on it and it's not missed a beat.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
..... My wife and I both use C-PAP Machines to sleep so we moved out to the Hitch Hiker for one night and run the Boliy.
It's mounted on a rack in the trailer hitch.
I now have 29 hours on it and it's not missed a beat.
Doug
Doug - I'm also am a C-PAP user, I have a Harbor Freight 750 w Inverter mounted next to my battery in our Cougar. I use it for the C-PAP at night. I also have a small Inverter ( 100w or less) in the cab of my truck that plugs into the lighter outlet, it powers the C-PAP just fine with very little loss of battery power. So no real need to run the gen if you have a small inverter, but I'll bet your glad you had the Boliy during that power outage.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #11

I just received my Boliy yesterday. Put oil and gas in it and it fired up on the 2nd pull. I pulled the side cover off to view where the sparkplug was located and notice that '' designed in Japan '' was stamped on the carb. The gen purred along and was quieter than I expected. So far, it appears to be a good buy. Time will tell though.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #12

Hello Nitro, what btu is your a/c? Like to know if the Boliy can handle a 15.5kbtu a/c. Also do you turn the a/c off when running your microwave?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #13

I am not Nitro, but I have the 15.5 a/c on our Hitchhiker and it pulls it fine. I turn off the A/C if I am going to use the microwave.
Doug
Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Cool Positive Boliy feedbacks

Thanks WD40. Your the 1st one with a 15.5 btu to say your Boliy can do the job. Guess after reading several "positive" replys/posts from other Boliy owners, the Boliy 3600si seems to be the way to go as far as low price & lightweight mobility. I'll post later with how I make out with mine.