Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

Boondocking

I hear about boondocking. Just what kind of places do you go to do this? I mean other than an overnight at WalMart etc. Here in Florida I don't know anywhere you can just pull over and stay there. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I looked up boondocking but there isn't a thread I could find that actually talked about places you can do this/
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Most of the 'boondocking' as such is done in the western states where much of the land is government-owned. There are some websites dedicated to assisting with finding places, just have to google for them. And, of course, it's like fishing holes--if someone has a favorite spot, they don't usually want to advertise where it is located.
A lot of boondocking is more aptly described as 'dry-camping'--places without hookups, but not necessarily away from everything. National Forests and BLM lands are good places to stay, but make sure there aren't any rules dis-allowing the practice in the area you are thinking of.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The Wynns posted this in April (2015) about "Wild Camping" in Florida. \ken

Fabulous Free Camping In Florida
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Most of the 'boondocking' as such is done in the western states where much of the land is government-owned.
Probably nit-picking (sorry Joe), but the land is owned by the us - the citizens of these United States, not the government. However; it is management by the government. Subtle point but one of many areas that is slowly getting out of control.

I do agree with your point though - most of the good boondocking is in the west (as far as I am aware). However; it is dry, dusty, ugly brown, and just plain nasty out here - I don't advise anyone to make the trip out.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Probably nit-picking (sorry Joe), but the land is owned by the us - the citizens of these United States, not the government. However; it is management by the government. Subtle point but one of many areas that is slowly getting out of control.

I do agree with your point though - most of the good boondocking is in the west (as far as I am aware). However; it is dry, dusty, ugly brown, and just plain nasty out here - I don't advise anyone to make the trip out.
I agree. Stay in the East and in managed trailer parks. "boondocking" is a ridiculous idea. Do not go out West!!!!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Boondocking in the west is an "acquired taste." \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

FWIW try this site:

Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!

Boondocking may be free or it may be cheap. $4 beats $40 idea. The point is few or no services. I know several places in the Adirondack mountains that fall into that category. I was looking at Florida but the map zooms out to cover the country.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Boy am I going to show hubby this thread LOL I think he thinks he's going to find a lot of places. Unless, since he reads every trailer and motor home for the past 30 years and he knows something I don't
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

We just stayed at a Vermont State Park this weekend. Not really boondocking, but definitely dry camping as there were no hookups. The new solar panels on the roof did a good job.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

JFNM,

I agree with the first part--not owned, but managed. And not always to our benefit...

Not sure about the second part unless aimed at keeping all the nice spots to ourselves.

mbridinger,

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwinginit View Post
Boy am I going to show hubby this thread LOL I think he thinks he's going to find a lot of places. Unless, since he reads every trailer and motor home for the past 30 years and he knows something I don't
He might. The interactive map I posted has a lot but is far from complete. There are fraternal organizations that offer member only parking. I have also heard of parking at Churches other than on Sunday from several sources. It often depends on why you are where you are and where the where is.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
JFNM,

I agree with the first part--not owned, but managed. And not always to our benefit...

Not sure about the second part unless aimed at keeping all the nice spots to ourselves.

mbridinger,

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Joe
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/boond...es-238892.html
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

We were just n Galveston and noticed a Class A motor home parked on Seawall Dr. The next day he had moved closer to town, then the next day closer still. Our guess was that he was dry camping. There is a parking fee of $1 an hour during the day, but free after 6, so he would have had to pay $12 a day to park. But he had a great view for a front yard!
CarolfromTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

It's OK to boondock in the National Forest. I did that just outside of Yosemite. No place in the park. Went 2 miles outside the park and went up a forestry road.

Tags
boondocking