Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #1

We bought a brand new Roo 233s. We had the inscpection and everything seemed alright except the tents were stained and the dealer said that he would replace them in the fall. When we got the camper home we opened it up after a few days, and one of the back outside latches fell off, ( which obviously had been redrilled and recaulked) we noticed 2 of the tents were coming out of their tracks and then on another outside wall there was a tiny crack in the fiber glass and it looks like someone painted over it, along with recaulking the corner. You can tell something happened to it. These were all hidden from us. We took it up to the dealer and they told us that they had forgetten that this was the camper that they had in a show and the tents were slashed so they were replaced. ( not right of course) When they saw the other damage they said the factory must have done it. We demanded a new trailer from the dealer and Forest River and both said no. They will have to tear the two outside walls down and rebuild them. Both the dealer and Forest River are blaming each other for the damage. After picking up our camper from the dealer and telling the dealer we are going to the attorney general, BBB, TV, etc. he finally called us back ( before we even got home from picking the camper up) and offered to loan us one of his used campers and pay for our monthly payments until we get our camper back. We thought about it and said whats that to him? He'll loose a couple hundred dollars and were still stuck with this camper. Too bad there is no lemon laws for campers. Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #2

We bought a brand new Roo 233s. We had the inscpection and everything seemed alright except the tents were stained and the dealer said that he would replace them in the fall. When we got the camper home we opened it up after a few days, and one of the back outside latches fell off, ( which obviously had been redrilled and recaulked) we noticed 2 of the tents were coming out of their tracks and then on another outside wall there was a tiny crack in the fiber glass and it looks like someone painted over it, along with recaulking the corner. You can tell something happened to it. These were all hidden from us. We took it up to the dealer and they told us that they had forgetten that this was the camper that they had in a show and the tents were slashed so they were replaced. ( not right of course) When they saw the other damage they said the factory must have done it. We demanded a new trailer from the dealer and Forest River and both said no. They will have to tear the two outside walls down and rebuild them. Both the dealer and Forest River are blaming each other for the damage. After picking up our camper from the dealer and telling the dealer we are going to the attorney general, BBB, TV, etc. he finally called us back ( before we even got home from picking the camper up) and offered to loan us one of his used campers and pay for our monthly payments until we get our camper back. We thought about it and said whats that to him? He'll loose a couple hundred dollars and were still stuck with this camper. Too bad there is no lemon laws for campers. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #3

There is a nation-wide consumer advocate on the talk radio circuit. Tom Martino -- http://www.troubleshooter.com.

He is brutal to these type of companies - has his listeners call them to complain, tries to get the company to go onto the radio and justify, and will list them as "scum" on his nationwide "scumbag" list -- if they are a confirmed bad company.

On the positive side - sometimes he can convince the company to "make the customer happy" with all of this pressure.

Oh he is a RV owner also...

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Moving the posts to pop up section for more appropriate viewing and replying.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #5

It may have some shipping damage and the dealer nor the manufacturer want to take responsibility for it.Ultimatly the dealer is responsible to repair this.I would see a lawyer and have him/her send the dealership a letter threatening legal action and if if nothing is done I would take them to court.Seek legal advice for sure.Good luck.

1980 Coachman Cambridge 29
fishncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm sorry, when I moved the post to the pop up forum, I was thinking that is what you had. Am moving to travel trailer forum to get you better exposure.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #7

I am sorry to hear that what should have been a nice new toy and the start of many enjoyable adventures has turned out to be bad for you. Make sure that you take lots of pictures of the damage and document it all thoroughly on paper. That will help you later on if you need to take legal action against the dealership and manufacturer.

I understand your desire for a new unit, the dealer should have told you up front that it was a show unit. They tend to get very abused. I think you do need to give them the opportunity to repair the unit and make things right, just so that it is to your satisfaction when things are done. That is also another reason for taking lots of photos and documenting things on paper. The dealerships offer to lend you a camper to use and pay your payments while yours is being fixed is very generous. Just stay on top of things if you agree to that because if they forget to make a payment, it is still your credit problem. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things turn out.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #8

Message deleted by poster. I guess my comments about www.troubleshooter.com upset the powers that be!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 AM   #9

Well the saga continues. The camper was picked up by Forest River on Monday and is being taken back to the factory and being rebuilt. My husband thinks they are going to rip the whole thing apart, send it back down the assembly line and rebuild it. We will see. The bad thing is that I had a tv station call me a day after the tt was picked up to do a story on it. Oh, well. We filed a complaint to the Attorney General against Johnston's RV for deceptive practice. They obviously hid alot of things from us. Forest River has been a lot of help. We are thinking of going to Ind. to pick it up. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #10

I am in the same situation as you with my trailer.We bought ours of the lot.Every outer wall including slide has delamination . I waited all winter for Dealer to repair and he finally admitted the damage was beyond what he could repair.So then we fight with Dutchman to take it back to factory.They wanted to take it early June.I wrote them and told them a few times prior that we have pre paid all our summer trips and want it to be done in Sept. Rep scoffed at me and said there was no way they would take it in the fall.I have been very reasonable with all parties on this mess,anyway we settled on Aug 8th for a supposed 30 day repair.I doubt it will ever leave the factory the same trailer.I was on the roof the other day to clean it and discovered the roof sheathing is seperating from the joist in two spots.I give up.If and when it comes back I am trading it to same dealer for a 5er, as long as it is fixed to my satisfaction.Service Manager at dealer has been great to deal with,he was hired 1/2 way thru this dilema.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #11

Frankie:
I wish you luck. Maybe the trailer will repaired better than it was previously. Atleast that is what we are hoping with ours. You should ask your dealer to loan you a trailer while yours is in the shop. Were they aware of the damage before you bought it? We are having ours fixed right away since we didnt want them accusing us of doing any of the damage. We haven't even used it yet. How about you?
Old 05-28-2005, 03:20 AM   #12

The majority of damage on my trailer happened after we bought it.Delamination occured within 6 months of use ,now the roof sheathing seperating from the rafters must have happened in the past 3 months. This trailer had been back to dealer 3 times for not less than 14 warrenty issues.I dont blame the dealer anymore.They pretty much have done everything they set out to do.Now it is in Dutchman's hands to make thing right.I would like to be there when they strip it down.I think if some of these factory workers put a face on the trailer they messed up and are trying to fix they may spend the time to make it right.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your problems. In a lot of states, such as Texas, trailers fall under the same lemon law as cars and other motor vehicles. Usually the trailer has had to been in the shop for service for more than 30 days or returned for the same repair 4 times. Check with your state. It should be easy to research by doing a google search for "lemon laws|(your state). Keep records of every thing done by the service department, conversations with your dealer and Forest River and take pictures. Be persistent.