Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Bouncing down the road

I have a 2014 Power stroke F350 single wheel towing a 40' triple axle Cyclone toyhauler. The hitch is a B&W companion that is set up go into the bed where a goose neck set up can be used as well.

While traveling on interstate that is concrete the ride is rough and jerky most of the time. On asphalt the ride is considerably better.

I cannot change the road surface, but what could I do to make the ride better? Rear wheel air bags, different pin on the 5th wheel, etc???

Thanks,

Jerome Greene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #2

Prior to getting our F350 DW, we had a 3/4 ton that I added manual air bags to aftermarket. When I set the air pressure to the recommended pressure, I found that as I rode down the road the pressure would rise in the air bags like in the tires and then the chucking would start because the truck and FW weren't on an even keel like when they started. Moral of the story is be careful with after market air bags if you decide to go that route. I can't comment on the difference between concrete versus asphalt, because I've found both to sometimes be great to drive on and terrible to drive on.

Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

We have a MorRyde Pin box and it seems to work pretty well. We still come across some roads that are not good, but overall does a good job. The trail air pin box would probably be even better if you want to invest a few hundred more.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

First thing is slow down. How fast are you driving? Second you can add airbags. I prefer to just drive slower without airbags.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

Airbags take the hard jarring out they don't elminate the bumps just make them less harsh
I have a moryde pin box and an air ride fifthwheel, airbags on the truck . About the best you can do as far as ride goes.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Difficult to determine what exactly is going on in your situation with limited information. There are a few variables that can occur.
The washboard effect of concrete expansion joints can be difficult to tame.
Have you weighed your rig knowing exactly the pin weight in relation to your TV's payload capacity? What type of pin box? Sounds like you're using the turn over ball adapter with your B&W, rather than the puck mounts? Is the trailer riding level, TV level? What kind of cargo in the TH garage?
Are you hitting the jounce bumpers of the rear suspension? You'll need to determine if the motion(s) are lateral chucking, vertical jouncing, or a combination of both (usually the case). Much of it is the geometry of two masses at velocity.
Generally Air Bags are only helpful in controlling ride height, or controlling the motion distance between unloaded and the jounce bumpers (springs bottomed out). AB's will not increase capacity, or eliminate “chucking”. They will also not dampen an up and down bounce which is the function of shock-absorbent device, both laterally and vertically.
We'd hate to see you spend $1K on AB's and end up with jouncing at a different height. Although if you're bottoming out they could help with the hard jarring but the amount of travel will remain.
FaithBowls brings up a good point about speed as well. Every rig will have kind of a sweet-spot on a given road surface.

Best of luck.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #7

Make sure it's close to level. Mine was 7" high and was bouncing and jerking bad. I leveled to where it's only 2" high and added the EZ flex system. It is night and day difference. I get an occasional bounce on bumps but dampened by second bounce but could be old truck shocks.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreenedr View Post
I have a 2014 Power stroke F350 single wheel towing a 40' triple axle Cyclone toyhauler. The hitch is a B&W companion that is set up go into the bed where a goose neck set up can be used as well.

While traveling on interstate that is concrete the ride is rough and jerky most of the time. On asphalt the ride is considerably better.

I cannot change the road surface, but what could I do to make the ride better? Rear wheel air bags, different pin on the 5th wheel, etc???

Thanks,

Jerome Greene
5th Aiirborn pin box and Firestone air bags. Dampens most of the chucking and bucking. I had the same setup on my 4100 Cyclone. It bucked and chucked enough to jar your teeth before.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #9

I Changed to Bilstein HD shocks For F-350 4x4, and Supersprings, SumoSprings that replace the stock Jounce bumpers, on my 2012 F-350 King Ranch. It improved the "Empty" ride,haven't tried it pulling our 11,000 lb. Montana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481691247255.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	146665  
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Difficult to determine what exactly is going on in your situation with limited information. There are a few variables that can occur.
The washboard effect of concrete expansion joints can be difficult to tame.
Have you weighed your rig knowing exactly the pin weight in relation to your TV's payload capacity? What type of pin box? Sounds like you're using the turn over ball adapter with your B&W, rather than the puck mounts? Is the trailer riding level, TV level? What kind of cargo in the TH garage?
Are you hitting the jounce bumpers of the rear suspension? You'll need to determine if the motion(s) are lateral chucking, vertical jouncing, or a combination of both (usually the case). Much of it is the geometry of two masses at velocity.
Generally Air Bags are only helpful in controlling ride height, or controlling the motion distance between unloaded and the jounce bumpers (springs bottomed out). AB's will not increase capacity, or eliminate “chucking”. They will also not dampen an up and down bounce which is the function of shock-absorbent device, both laterally and vertically.
We'd hate to see you spend $1K on AB's and end up with jouncing at a different height. Although if you're bottoming out they could help with the hard jarring but the amount of travel will remain.
FaithBowls brings up a good point about speed as well. Every rig will have kind of a sweet-spot on a given road surface.

Best of luck.
Not enough info for problem solving answers.

Answer the questions asked by 'Mtn Trek'

1) Have you weighed your rig knowing exactly the pin weight in relation to your TV's payload capacity?
2) What type of pin box? Sounds like you're using the turn over ball adapter with your B&W, rather than the puck mounts?
3) Is the trailer riding level, TV level?
4) What kind of cargo in the TH garage?
5) Are you hitting the jounce bumpers of the rear suspension?
****Do you have shocks on trailer....how old are they?

6) What speed do you tow at?

7) Is your truck Longbed/Shortbed?
8) 4X4---4X2
9) Truck tires...air pressure used?
10) Trailer tires....air pressure used?

Thanks!

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreenedr View Post

Thanks,

Jerome Greene

Just out of curiosity do you have much weight in the back of it? I had a 2009 heartland cyclone that was 41 feet long, we brought it home from the dealership empty road horrible all the way home. I got home we put all of our stuff and it took it down the road road better but not great, put my motorcycle in the back of it for extra weight made all the difference in the world no longer jerked or bucked.