Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #1

Hi all...Do any of you know if there is a tonneau cover we can use for our 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 short box truck, and still haul our 5th wheel? We have a 25 ft Jayco, with pin extendion and Quick slide.....Thanks...Bev

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #2

Hi all...Do any of you know if there is a tonneau cover we can use for our 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 short box truck, and still haul our 5th wheel? We have a 25 ft Jayco, with pin extendion and Quick slide.....Thanks...Bev

Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
somebody will be sure to respond. they do make vinyl covers that open in the center for the 5th wheel hitch. I used to see it advertised in trailer life all the time, but don't recall seeing the ad in a while.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Roll N Lock brand will work if you don't need it covered while actually towing. The Roll N Lock rolls up to the forward end of the bed and requires only about 10 inches of space, leaving plenty of room for the hitch, even on a short bed. I used one on a GMC Sonoma short bed many years ago when we had a small fiver.

I've seen the zip-opening fabric type that John mentioned but can't find a source online. Don't know if they are still made or not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #5

Thank you Gary...I like it. A bit pricey, but ebay may have it cheaper. I like it better than any that roll back. And I don't believe some of the others go far enough back to allow for 5th wheel to hook up. Especally with a short box.....Bev
Old 07-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
The Roll N Lock brand will work if you don't need it covered while actually towing. The Roll N Lock rolls up to the forward end of the bed and requires only about 10 inches of space, leaving plenty of room for the hitch, even on a short bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine has this on his dodge short bed 2500 and loves it. I'm thinking of doing it once I get a new truck. I had a hard cover and sold it once I started pulling fifth wheels and goosenecks. I had a soft cover on another truck and hated it. The rollups seem the best of both worlds.

Hers - '03 GMC Yukon XL Denali, Prodigy brake controller
mbwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #7

Use the dogpile search engine, and search term "roll-up bed cover". You'll get pages of results beginning at an internet special of $599, all the way up to $2,999 for an electric-remote operated cover.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #8

I use a four piece folder on my 2500HD short bed. It's OEM from GM, is rigid, and folds from the front or rear, Also lockable. In the $ 800 range if I recall correctly.

2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Emmett James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #9

Thanks Emmett...We just had one like that put on our truck. It is called a Fold-a-cover LS11. In fact Keith is getting a seal put on today, that will reduce any chance of leakage. But it seems to be just what we are looking for to use with our 5th wheel..Keith and Bev
Old 07-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I installed the Fold-a-Cover to my F350 long bed about a year ago. It's as good as advertised. I can recommend this cover.