Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
Brake help needed

I have a forest river cardinal with 12" alcoa axles. I just replace all the brake assembly's and have hooked up the brake magnets. I understand that there not a concern with the polarity, but the new magnet dont all work. is there a wiring diagram out there?? I measured the voltage and all I get is 8 volts, I think it should be 12v. I am running this on a ford f250 super duty.
Anybody got any ideas??
scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

The wiring is pretty simple. There is one wire going from the plug (+) to a junction (near the axles) and from the junction one wire to each magnet. Then one wire from each magnet to a junction and one wire to the plug (-). I would check all connections and focus on the grounds first. How many volts have you measured at the truck side of the plug?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
12" Alcoa axles? Confused.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Chief, I am thinking he meant Al-Ko axles with 12" brakes.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ohhhh ok...makes sense now. Thanks.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the brakes to work you need not voltage but current, For current to flow you need a path.. Like this.

Battery (power source)--------controller-----Brake magnet----GROUND

IF the magnet coil is not grounded properly, no brakes.

Second, you could have a bad magnet coil.

Measure the current in the wires to the brakes using a clamp on DC ammeter such as a Crafstman 82369.

The second thing the brakes need is a fero-magnetic drum,, But I'm sure you have one of those (Means magnets stick to it).
Old 11-13-2014, 01:51 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to scottsandy
thanks for all your responses,
Yes it is Al-Ko axles
and I was just hoping for an easy fix. looks like I will trace the wires and see about the grounds. these are all new assemblies. I had to replace as the "easy lube" bearings were over greased and yes you guessed it lots of grease in the brake area on all but one wheel. was cheaper to replaced the whole brake assembly instead of each indiv. parts.
was just wondering if the pairs right and left side (wheels) had to be insync as far as the wiring. but I guess not as they are just electromagnets, no polarity required.
tnx
scott

wa8yxm here is ab1mc
scottsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #8

Check all the wiring very closely. I had a problem with one wheel that showed good voltage but wouldn't brake. I finally found a ground wire that had been pinched somehow, the outside insulation looked good, but at that place, the wire bent easily and you could tell that most of the wiring inside had separated. I cut, spliced and soldered it, no problems since.
It was getting voltage, but not enough current.
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #9

The proper size wire is 12 gauge. Smaller wire = less current and less brake. Quality connections would be soldered with shrink tubing insulation.

Tags
brake