Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

We have decided to downsize from our 40' diesel coach. Recent events have told us that our coach is now too big for us. While we haven't ruled out 5th wheels we are leaning toward a 28 - 30' trailer towed by a 1 ton pick up connected by a Hensly hitch. I have always gotten good advice in the motorhome forum and am now asking here:
what are the names of some good brands?
which of you own these and why?
I am sure there are other questions I should be asking but, for now, I need a start in the right direction.
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #2

We have decided to downsize from our 40' diesel coach. Recent events have told us that our coach is now too big for us. While we haven't ruled out 5th wheels we are leaning toward a 28 - 30' trailer towed by a 1 ton pick up connected by a Hensly hitch. I have always gotten good advice in the motorhome forum and am now asking here:
I am sure there are other questions I should be asking but, for now, I need a start in the right direction.
gary85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 AM   #3

Of course, without knowledge of your budget, it's hard to say but we just bought our 2nd Airstream. Started small (22') and now moved up to 27' Went with the Safari 27 FB SE.
IMHO, Airstream is tops.
You can get the 30' and larger units for not alot more than our new one but we didn't want to have to get a new truck.
Airstream has basically 3 versions of their trailers which mostly vary in interior style.
Safari - Nice interior. Not elaborate but very usable with well thought-out design.
International - Very modern interior design with bold colors and somewhat flashy feel
Classic - Just what the name implies - Real wood cabinetry, leather seating and all the bells and whistles. Also the heaviest of the 3.

2005 F-150 4x4 5.4L (Betsy3)
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
how you plan on using the trailer also plays a big role. Full time? Part time? Vacation rig?

Like MH's there are a lot of brands and types to pick from, depending on your needs. Most brands have rigs that will fit into each of the use categories.

I plan on going fulltime next year (as my signature states) so that is where my attention has been focused. I have a Newmar. While not all inclusive (and not trying to start a brand war), Newmar, Travel Supreme, Teton Homes, Doubletree all make good fulltime rigs (as do others).
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #5

What you are going to find is that the majority of quality coaches will be fifth wheels. The reasons are as varied as there are brands. However ease of towing is one biggie. I had a 30 foot TT once and believe me I will never have another TT again. The fiver is much better for towing. Budget will dictate what brands you start looking at. As far as quality construction Nash/Arctic Fox are hard to beat, but they do skimp on the interior a bit to keep the price point. Mobile Suites, Teton, Hitchhiker, Nuway, Alpenlite all make excellent coaches, but again all will be fifth wheels. Cedar Creek does offer in the Silverback line some nice large TT. Choices, choices, choices, now you have to decide what type of lifestyle you are looking for in retirement.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gary85:
I am sure there are other questions I should be asking but, for now, I need a start in the right direction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife and I owned a 2004 30' Airstream Classic Limited for the past several years, which we towed with an F250 PSD. Airstreams of that size and weight tow very nicely with that size truck, and although we had a Reese HP Dual Cam hitch which was quite adequate, a Hensley would have been even better.

All that said and done, however, our Airstream was a piece of crap quality-wise, Airstream's management treated us very unfairly regarding our many warranty issues, and as a result I will never own another Airstream as long as I live. I could go on, but you get the drift...

My wife and I are now planning to buy a new Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel. Although its weight (20,000# gross) will require us to get a new F450 Ford dually to tow it, we believe that it is the best quality/size/value available in the market to meet our needs. We also looked at and evaluated Teton, New Horizon, Excel, and HR Presidential Suite, plus several other top-end units along the way before making our decision.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #7

a good middle of the road TT is Silver fox by Actic fox or a high end Holiday Rambler . Both are well built and can be optioned so it fits your needs . Insulated glass windows and belly insulation is a good idea even if your only going to use it in the summer. Opt to the next size larger or a second ac unit if your going to climate wamer then 95*f. Window treatments for day/night insulated are a must have . 10 gallon DIS/electric hot water heater is a good idea if your going to wash cloths.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #8

Airstream is very short on storage space and also short on insulation.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #9

If you all ready have a 1 ton truck, you should definitely look to the fifth wheel route. You can have another five foot of RV and still be no longer total length. And the fiver pulls so much better down the road and gives you so much more storage area than a TT. You could pull a 32 to 35' fiver for the same overall length as 25 to 30' TT. I would sure recommend Carriage as a quality unit to check over - - they build a great fiver.
Bob