Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #15

So you're buying a big class A or big 5th wheel for occasional family camping? I hope you plan on going quite often to justify the big $$$$ cost.
As far a s Oregon camping with big rigs, well being from Oregon I see no problem camping anywhere. There will be some CG that you won't fit in, but there's plenty that you will. Sounds like you'll be happier in an Rv park anyway and those fit big rigs easily.
I also hope that everyone is comfortable sleeping in close proximity.
Another thing to think about is what are you going to do when you're out glamping. Are you going to stay in the CG all the time? If not then you'll need to tow a car/SUV behind the MH if you want to site see or run to the store for food or ?

This could sleep 7-8 people.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...77mbs-377mbs-r

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

Buy a MH for you and your husband, the kids can sleep in tents!

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had to read your original post again to let your 50th BD plan sink in. Here is what I see. You are not wanting to let go of the older children and are trying to redo the previous excursion that happened when the family was somewhat younger and smaller in number and size. Not going to happen, no matter what you do. Here's why. You are planning to spend a considerable amount of money to try and recapture a fun time from the past. Enjoy the memories and reflect on them. A couple of your kids are adults, let them be adults. One is married and starting a life of their own. Two are in college and about to start med school. When do you really think they are going to have time for a fun filled leisurely get away? Then comes the internship/residency and along the way a family of their own. Your best laid plans are a dream.

What are your plans if a baby comes along with the other seven in the coach. That is a lot of people in an area the size of a small family room. I could not imagine that many adults in my S/B house for an extended period.

Here is an idea. Do the RV thing, anyway that you decide to go, but just for those in your at-home family. Make new memories and enjoy. If and when the rest of your crowd decides they can and want to make a trip with the family, rent a MH for them. When the trip is over, give the keys back to the owner. Or, have a family gathering at some CG that has cabins for rent and use the MH/RV for the base station. Everybody has their space and bathroom and will not be overcrowded. Just a thought.

By-the-way, Happy 50th Birthday.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

happy 50th x2! Ahh, to be young again!!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #19

We probably walked past each other at the Portland RV show. You must have a close family that you can coral them all for an RV trip at those ages. We upgraded to a 5er to allow more sleeping space for our Granddaughters. Now that they are in their mid teens we find that our camping trips are just us as the girls are busy elsewhere. Towing a 5er in the Northwest is no problem and there are many places where a longer rig will fit relatively close to Portland. The instant up tents are a good option for extra bedroom space. Can't imagine living in the Northwest without a truck. Act fast and build those memories while you can, time flies. Good luck.

Here are some State Parks that I have found will handle a 40' fifth wheel: Silver Falls, Champooeg, Ft. Stevens, Cape Disapointment, Grayland Beach, Farewell Bend.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

My family just purchased a Jayco 26.5BHS fifth wheel. I has a queen bed in front two double bunk beds a table that makes into a double bed and a queen tri-fold sofa. So lots of room to sleep if people don't mind being in close quarters. As soon as someone needs to use the potty at night you might wake up a few of the light sleepers. Also if you need to make coffee with out waking people you would have to go outside and use a portable stove. Also the trailer is only 35' long. Another bonus is they say it's half ton toawable. Well that if you only have two people in the truck cab! It can get heavy quick. One last thing is storage space. I would say have a second vehicle and load it up with all the extras that you can't fit in the trailer. It's more to keep the trailer weight down then anything. This trailer doesn't not have a ton of storage but it's okay for a family of 4 for a week or so.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wanted to get to the show but had another commitment so didn't make it.
I've never had to try and fit so large a family in an RV and I'm in the "seats 6 for happy hour, 4 for dinner and two for sleeping" category. Even my 45' MH only sleeps 3.
Yup... same here 'cept sleeps 4.& like your coach..push a button or two and you are leveled.
My issue with TT's and 5'ers is that You have to park in order to grab a sammich or use the potty. AND a lot of them I've looked at... you will have to at least partially extend a slide or two... just to gain access to the galley and toilet. wouldn't be much fun along the side of a busy road me thinks....versus get up,walk back to the fridge/toilet while still under way..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #22

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
I had to read your original post again to let your 50th BD plan sink in. Here is what I see. You are not wanting to let go of the older children and are trying to redo the previous excursion that happened when the family was somewhat younger and smaller in number and size. Not going to happen, no matter what you do. Here's why. You are planning to spend a considerable amount of money to try and recapture a fun time from the past. Enjoy the memories and reflect on them. A couple of your kids are adults, let them be adults. One is married and starting a life of their own. Two are in college and about to start med school. When do you really think they are going to have time for a fun filled leisurely get away? Then comes the internship/residency and along the way a family of their own. Your best laid plans are a dream.

What are your plans if a baby comes along with the other seven in the coach. That is a lot of people in an area the size of a small family room. I could not imagine that many adults in my S/B house for an extended period.

Here is an idea. Do the RV thing, anyway that you decide to go, but just for those in your at-home family. Make new memories and enjoy. If and when the rest of your crowd decides they can and want to make a trip with the family, rent a MH for them. When the trip is over, give the keys back to the owner. Or, have a family gathering at some CG that has cabins for rent and use the MH/RV for the base station. Everybody has their space and bathroom and will not be overcrowded. Just a thought.

By-the-way, Happy 50th Birthday.
I agree
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

My 2 cents...

Buy what makes you happy. All RV'S have a learning curve - Class A, Fifth Wheel, or other. Just takes practice and no one was perfect the first time out.

I agree that a fifth wheel is harder to back than a motorhome, but it gets much easier with practice and experience.

I have a dually with a daily 15 minute commute and love it. Today's trucks are fully loaded with every option so you really aren't forfeiting a thing compared to a luxury SUV. A 4x4 is great in the snow and also allows you to sit higher than a car which I prefer on highways.

Don't let the size bother you. Obviously operating a 40' rig or longer is a skill and skills are learned through practice. No one magically learned to drive them. Yes, length can limit campground options, but there are plenty of options for a 40' fifth wheel should you decide to go that route.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the hunt!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #24

I find a 5th wheel very very easy to back up. Of course I have been backing up boats and bumper pull trailers. A 5th wheel is much easier than those.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #25

Thanks, I appreciate the many comments. And no, we aren't trying to recreate anything from the past, just make more family memories in the small chunks of time we have when we are altogether. We are a close family, but probably right about everyone not wanting to sleep in close quarters. Will have to reevaluate and possibly add a tent when the extra kids come home.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I find a 5th wheel very very easy to back up. Of course I have been backing up boats and bumper pull trailers. A 5th wheel is much easier than those.
I think it's all what you get used to. Had a bumper pull for over 20 years and changed to the Fifth Wheel about a year and a half ago. The fifth wheel is definitely different in how it reacts backing up, the swing of the tow vehicle, cutting corners, etc. Practice makes everything easier.

One piece unit (motor home) is generally easier to back than a two piece (truck and trailer) unit for many people.