Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

Brand New Mobile Suites & Shore Power

We brought home our brand new Mobile Suites yesterday after a long day of finalizing the deal/paperwork, and then transferring all our "stuff" from our old 5th wheel to the new one at the dealership, phew! Anyway, on the way home we stopped to do a walk around and discovered that the outside water pump switch had been left on and our kitchen faucet had worked its way ON! Water in kitchen and running out the door! Got slide out, mopped up water as best we could on the side of the highway, closed it up and headed for home. Got home, got parked and opened back up with more towels soaking water up from dining room and a little new one recliner, then wet vac'd up also. Problem: can't hook up to shore power! We've confirmed our outlet is good. But when we plug the rig in, off goes the breaker. We've got the slides out and have kept the batteries charged with truck running on and off. We've reset GFI breaker concerned about the water being in the kitchen area near 2 GFI plugs, still not able to connect. Anyone have any ideas? Trying to resolve so the dealership does not have to come out tomorrow.....THANKS EVERYONE
RetireN2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #2

Well, first, congrats on the new trailer--you'll love it after this episode is only a memory.

Probably needs more time to dry out--suggest you keep it off-level for several hours to let water drain/move toward low side and out. Also, running the AC should remove some humidity to help dry it out. Whoops, this won't work if you can get elec to work--duh! Space fans inside (extension cords from house) will help move air to dry out.

And, let the dealer send someone out anyway--it was they who left the pump switch on? Normally, nothing should have gotten wet that would cause this type problem, at least not in my '05 model--everything in mine that would get wet from this type incident isn't electrical. How about one of the outlets near the faucet where the water would have run down the side over the outlet?

Be patient, this should be ok in time. If not, consider an insurance claim, should be covered.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Also,
Here are links to Suites Owners forums that have a lot of info, if you don't already know of them...

5thWheelForums.com :: Index

Suites Owners International Travel Club Forum

Joe
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Obviously, something electrical has gotten wet. I'm not sure what's under the flooded area in the basement in your model configuration, but the sink is pretty much over the utility bay in our Mobile Suites, so it could be about anything.

If I were in your shoes, I'd turn off ALL the secondary (i.e., non-50-amp) AC breakers in the MS power distribution center, plug into shore power and then start turning on the secondary breakers until you find the one that causes the main 50 amp ganged breaker to trip. At that point, you've potentially at least isolated one circuit with a short and have a place to start looking.

Note: In theory, none of the secondary breakers should cause the main breakers to trip - they, being lower amperage, should trip first. However, this eliminates all loads downstream of the power distribution center. You could have a situation where water has intruded into more than one secondary circuit, and this could cause (let's say for example) 2 secondary circuits on one side of the 50 amp supply to draw 28 amps. This wouldn't trip the secondary 30 amp breakers (if so equipped), but the combined 28 + 28 = 56 amps would trip the main 50 amp breakers when you turned on the second 28 amp draw circuit.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

Good thinking, Rusty.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
One device that could really help troubleshoot this situation in short order is an Amprobe, but very few RVers carry them. An Amprobe clamp meter could be used to measure the current draw of each secondary circuit coming out of the power distribution panel. I keep thinking that I need to buy one for the RV.....maybe I will one of these days.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

Thank you all for the suggestions. We figured out that someone left the outside water pump switch on, that isn't labeled. We've tightened the faucet, wet vacumed the carpet, placed a dehumidifier in the unit, and happy to report all is wonderful now a week or so later! We absolutely LOVE the unit and are leaving on our first voyage tomorrow for a week! Thanks also for the other links for information. Travel safe, Patti <><
RetireN2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you will need a trouble light (drop cord) and may need a cube tap.

Go into the trailer and find the master power distribution panel.. TURN OFF ALL BREAKERS.

now, plug the trailer and and the lamp into the same duplex recptical,, This way you can tell easily when the GFCI goes click.

Starting with the MAIN breaker, turn them on one at a time

When the light goes out turn the last breaker turned on.. back off, Reset and go back to the breaker box.. Skipping the last one (The one that tripped it) continue till either all are on or it trips off again.

When you get to the last breaker,, Tell us how the breakers that tripped it off are labeled.

Oh, and the carpet. One of the hand held carpet cleaners such as but by no means limited to the Bissel Spot Lfter or the Dirt Devel unit, either corded or cordless. can suck a lot of water out of carpet.

Or a Wet/Dry Vac.. IF you have one (I use a bissel myself) Can you say "Been there done that"... I can.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #9

I would do NOTHING and let the dealership come and fix whatever has occurred, it was their mistake and I would want a new rig and let them sell that one but that is me. The dealer is a dangerous dealer, probably should let others know who they are so we do not buy from them. A mistake like that is all I would need to really never deal with them again once they give me a new rig or if they refuse would call Mobile Suites let them know what occurred and have them deal with the dealer and I would want a free extended warranty FROM THE MANUFACTURER not some piece of junk warranty from some company that is here today and gone tomorrow. JUST my TWO CENTS
Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #10

Well, that is pretty specific about hammering the dealer.
Mistakes happen, sometimes our own fault.
And if you think there is a new rig to be had over this problem, then you better be looking for a lawyer.
Most water problems like is described will dry out ok with no lingering after-effects--he seems to think the problem is solved and is a happy camper.
Joe
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i just have to ask.....was the fresh tank FULL?
good thing you got it drying out and all
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #12

Hammering the dealer- YOU BET, that was the dealer's fault the water pump was left on!!! Water is NEVER a good thing to occur and NEW rig? YOU bet I would want them to give me a new rig and the rig they sold me and THEY damaged, can be theres. I have had to do this a few times in my lifetime, because it is their responsibility to deliver the RV in perfect condition to their knowledge. Yes rigs have problems but they do not need dealers as the one this man bought from to cause problems. IF your dentist pulled the wrong front tooth would you be as blase? I doubt it but it is the same thing, it is no longer in perfect shape as he thought he bought! Of course things are going to come up that are wrong with the rig, but one does not need the dealer to CAUSE the problem. You have a RIGHT to expect better from the dealer. Many(not all) RV dealers are scumballs who would sell their own mother a bad rig, and if the rig is a good one, when it comes time for service they forget who you are. I am lucky, I bought used and the dealer he bought from is a good guy doing a good job and keeps my 10 yr old rig in great shape. He is in the minority but they are out there!!
Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry about the mishap, but would love to see some pics of your new rig. My wife and I really debated the motorhome vs fiver before we made our purchase...the fith wheels really are nice and spacious inside.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

Sandie115, he said 'someone' left the pump switch on; If I had made that statement, I would be including myself in the list of suspicious characters...
Joe

And you have gotten a new rig several times over things like this? Ok, I'll take your word for this.

Tags
power