Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Hey, thank you all for your replies. Haven't been on for a while but really appreciated everyone's thoughts. Currently we are pretty sold on the Grand Design Solitude. We have until March or April before we actually buy but that's currently the plan.
Sewcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #16

I don't know where you live but, the big RV shows are starting soon, (I think Hershey, PA and So. Cal). Went to So Cal last October and glad I did. Had my heart set on a Open Range 3X and although we loved the floor plan, we did not like the "feel" of it when inside. After over a year we saw lots of different brands and models and settled on a Heartland 365. We would have loved to afford the DRV and some others mentioned. We looked at as many used units as we could but, most were "too used" or missing features we really wanted. I recommend the same as most of the other posts here. Try to get inside and "feel" what it may be like to live in before deciding. Happy hunting.
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewcreative View Post
Hey, thank you all for your replies. Haven't been on for a while but really appreciated everyone's thoughts. Currently we are pretty sold on the Grand Design Solitude. We have until March or April before we actually buy but that's currently the plan.
Since you have time, you might want to check out the Luxe and Ambition models made by Augusta RV. The Ambition will be more in your price range if you are considering the GD Solitude. We just love our Ambition!
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #18

Make a list of your top priorities.

Everyone has their own ideas about what is important to them. Frankly if your going to be in an extremely cold climate and protection from the cold is your top priority there is no RV that is as good as a well built house. You will need two propane furnace in O degree and below weather for example unless you are going to use electrical heat as well.

How many RV's, for example have insulated floors in the slide outs? You can have the best R factor in ceilings, walls and floors but what is the R factor of the seals on all the slides and how do you know they are actual sealing, you will find out how inefficient they are when the weather gets below O.

When we went to Indiana the Solitude was a contender and one of the factories to visit, believe me it was not a contender when we finished our evaluation based on construction quality ( i.e. UsedOSB board as flooring and roof made a big deal of it being water proofed how about all the holes they had to cut in it after water proofing )That being said they had some of the best floor plans and designs in the industry.

So unless you actually go see how their built your at the mercy of self promotion brochures and dealer salesmen. Some of the best and innovative floor plans come from mid level and even low level trailer manufacturers.
La Caja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #19

Before you pull the trigger on the 5th wheel purchase, contact Kansas RV Center in Chanute, Ks.

They know what they're talking about especially if you'll be full timing in N Co.
We did it in N Wyoming, considered many units and moved in a different direction after visiting with Kansas RV.
kotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #20

I'll second the Kansas RV center. We bought a lightly used 2012 HitchHiker from them in June. We needed some small remodeling and due to the fact they built it to begin with they did a fantastic job at a reasonable price. Their service is excellent and we enjoy the fulltime living in this unit. Another option is New Horizons in Junction City Ks as they also get many used Excell units which look like quality builds. Good luck.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a New Montana for replacing my fulltime Motorhome. I would cross Montana of off the list. I bought a HC 375 FL.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #22

Look for a leftover 2015-2016 Lifestyle. Their parent company just went out of business so you can get a great deal on a top of the line trailer.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #23

I know this is not what you ask, but I'm going to throw it out anyway. Have you thought about building a small custom house, if you can get his parents to cut out and title a piece of land to you, rather than buying a high end rv? In 10 years you'll have a 10 year old rv worth a fraction of what you paid for it whereas a house would likely substancially increase in value. Like it or not, a RV is high maintenance on one end and quick to depreciate on the other.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Before we decided to go with a MH for full timing we had a short list of 5th wheel units we were considering. The first thing on my list of MUST HAVE was a 12" "I" Beam framing or better in a unit 38' and over. IMO this was mandatory to stand up to the riggers of full time towing.
Our short list was DRV Mobil Suites, Landmark by Heartland, and the Sanibel units.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #25

I chose a Keystone because they will no cancel your warranty if you get caught fulltiming in it. Pretty simple choice for me. So far no major problems with it either. A 2014 Mountaineer 358 RTL
DasBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
It is good you had few issues as Keystone is terrible on not honoring their warranty. It is a constant fight with them. My Montana spent all summer in the shop due to Keystone issues. Parts and service is horrible under warranty.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlade View Post
I chose a Keystone because they will no cancel your warranty if you get caught fulltiming in it. Pretty simple choice for me. So far no major problems with it either. A 2014 Mountaineer 358 RTL
The DRV is classified as a full time unit, and I have it insured as a full time unit. Same type insurance as we had on our home. Not worried about "getting caught" for full timing in it Also, Thor covers it full warranty for full timing in..Insurance company had it listed as a "full timer" unit.It was manufactured to full time in.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #28

Take a good look at Grand Design Solitude its a good 4 season built full timing 5th wheel lot of features and floor plans to choose from
doglover44 is offline   Reply With Quote