Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimdream View Post
Get on the grand design forum people love them because of the customer service but they have tons of trouble with them everything falls apart,leaks or quits working they look good that's about all.I am trying to make a desision too?drv,tiffin motor home maybe Jayco north point can't decide
Dude, this is "so untrue" and I encourage anyone to go on the Grand Design Owners Forum site http://www.granddesignowners.com/ and ask those who own them, what they think of the product. Did they have problems with over greased Lippert axles, yes. Has someone had a roof problem, I wouldn't doubt it, but so has every other brand out there. My problem is when someone makes a blanket statement that "everything falls apart, leaks or quits". But, I guess it just goes to show others how much they should take your evaluation and depth of knowledge into their decision.

It doesn't bother me that a few owners have had issues, because it has heartened me that Grand Design stepped up and promptly took care of the customers, unlike some of the brands out there.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to purchase a Grand Design, nor do I care what brand anyone chooses to purchase, but when uniformed people spout stuff like this, than I feel I should speak up, as someone who actually owns the brand being trashed, versus someone who has probably never looked at one in person.

My wife and I have been researching 5th wheels since 2004, hoping to purchase one when we retired. We have looked at every brand (some not in business any more) out there up and down the length of FL, AL GA, and LA. There are some quality 140-130K brands out there, but than there are some 135K that I wouldn't give you 50K for. I'm not gong to mention brands here. it's not the purpose.

We where looking at Mobile Suits and a couple of others, but we weren't planing on living in it full time, so we decided against it. There were other brands that looked really nice, but when I got to looking close at the fit and finish I was really disappointed. I had rather have a quality built product than one that is has a bunch of fluff and poorly built.

I first heard and looked at the Grand Design earlier last year, when a friend of mine purchased a Solitude. When I looked at it, I was impressed with they quality of work. I signed up for a free membership on the GD Owners several months ago and started doing my research. I asked a lot of questions form those that owned them. After over 13 years of looking (8 seriously) we decided to order a 384GK-R Solitude which was built in December. IMHO, for the money, quality of production, quality control and customer service, I don't think we could have do better. I would like to have had to option of the MORyde suspension, but that wasn't an option. If I choose too, I can always add it later or I may just add disc brakes. I'm in no big hurry and honestly with the truck I have the drums work just fine.

On our POI and before I signed any papers, I went through the unit with a fine tooth comb. I looked inside at all the trim, doors, cabinets, seals, slides, behind and under storage areas where the plumbing and electrical area, on the roof with ever seal and caulking, and under the unit. I didn't find one item that need to be tightened, replaced, sealed or repaired. Everything worked.

We took our Solitude on a 1500 mile shakedown cruise to north AL, through the Smokey Mountains, through an ice and snow storm in Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC and back to Pensacola, FL. It even went through a tornado, which made a pretzel out of our 18 awning, just 3 days after we got it home.

This is just from one owner that could have purchased any 5th wheel on the market. For our purpose and for my money, the Grand Design Solitude is a superb, quality built 5th wheel that I have no problem taking anywhere, in any climate that I choose to camp in. In fact we will be living in it for 7 months starting in March. Happy RV'ing

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We purchased an Augusta Luxe for full-timing. We love it. Because they are a smaller shop, it takes a little longer for delivery. They are completely customizable. We has quite a bit of goodies thrown in like a security/surveillance system, a handrail for the stairs, real tiles throughout the kitchen and bath, extra cabinets in our den, an upgraded underwear and panel that runs everything you can think of, doubled the available solar, added additional outlets for a HAM radio setup that needed a modification to the panel. We had things stained that are normally painted. We also have a full size residential stove and oven and a matching fridge. I encourage you to check out the Augusta Luxe and see what you think. They are not only quality, but beautiful. There is a forum at www.augustaowners.com. You can learn the good, the bad and the ugly there.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At a recent RV show in NorCal we looked at Landmarks, Mobile Suites, Montanas, KZ Durango Golds, Grand Design Solitudes and Vanleigh Vilano. The Mobile Suites & Landmark were too spendy for our budget but the Vilano was hands down the winner when you walked in the door and started to look closer at the build quality, the hardwoods, padded walls, tons of storage, multiplex wiring and the owners last names are Tiffin. But there haven't been any available near us for the last few weeks. We've since gone back and looked at Grand Design and Landmark again. Will look at Vilano again in a couple weeks when they come in befor we make our final decision, but leaning towards Vilano!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
At a recent RV show in NorCal we looked at Landmarks, Mobile Suites, Montanas, KZ Durango Golds, Grand Design Solitudes and Vanleigh Vilano. The Mobile Suites & Landmark were too spendy for our budget but the Vilano was hands down the winner when you walked in the door and started to look closer at the build quality, the hardwoods, padded walls, tons of storage, multiplex wiring and the owners last names are Tiffin. But there haven't been any available near us for the last few weeks. We've since gone back and looked at Grand Design and Landmark again. Will look at Vilano again in a couple weeks when they come in befor we make our final decision, but leaning towards Vilano!
We love Tiffin products. We have close friends that have a Tiffin Phaeton. In fact in 2015 they purchased three in one year...lol. My buddy’s wife had camped all her life, but he had never camped before. He is one that likes the best and can afford it. They started with the Allegro, Allegro Bus and finally settled on a Phaeton. He just wanted more HP and torque. Now he is looking at the 2017...

I've been camping since I was 9 yrs. old. My wife had never camped before. When we retired in 2011, even though we've been looking at purchasing a RV since 2004, I was kind of hesitant on pulling the trigger, because I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into it until I knew she was going to like it.

Four years ago, a good friend of ours from church had a 1995 36' Itasca Suncruiser that they weren't using much anymore, since all the kids were grown and gone told me that if would just pay it off we could have it. He still owed 7,900 on it. We went to look at it and it was in great shape... new tires, maintained with all records, etc. It was the first year that Itasca came out with a slide (large 12 x 3' deep slide) on the Suncruiser. We really weren't even looking at a motor home, but I figured for the price we couldn't go wrong. The first weekend we took it out, my wife fell in love with it and the RV'ing experience.

Our purpose for purchasing a RV besides loving RV'ing was to travel the US. Even though the Itasca is in great shape (strong engine, transmission, breaks, tires) it now has 82K miles and I just didn't want to travel the US in it especially in the mountains. I have to problems on 300-400 mile trips. I looked very seriously purchasing a 2016 or 2017 Tiffin Phaeton, but I just couldn't get the dealer to meet my price.

We decided for our purpose and for the money a 2017 F 350 DRW, King Ranch Ultimate, Loaded, with a Grand Design 384GK-R 5th wheel, was the best way to go.

There weren't any Vialno's to look at when we were shopping either. Looking at the brochures on-line though, I could have sworn I was looking at the Grand Design Solitude. They are using much of the same flooring, slides, fixtures, sinks, shower stalls, windows, AC, furnace, counter tops, microwave, oven, refrigerator, other parts, floor plan and I can't tell, but just reading the brochure, they are probably using the Lippert frame, but IDK.

There are only few RV Parts manufacturers and distributors and "most" all 5th wheel RV manufactures purchase and install the same brand name parts as their competitors.

So what is the difference between the RV manufactures? It's the Attitude, Care, Pride and Workmanship of those installing these parts. It's the Management, Manufacturing Process, Materials, Quality Control, and Customer Service after the sale, and how Warranty Claims are handled in a Timely Manner.

It doesn't matter, if you purchase the best RV, Automobile, Washing Machine, etc. that money can buy, if you have a Warranty Claim and your unit sits at the dealer for 3 months, because they are waiting for a part from the manufacture, while you are making payments, canceling trips, you can't use it and the warranty clock is ticking down, then what good is it.

Most RV manufactures, purchase frames that are either stock frames or frames built on the RV manufactures specifications that their "engineers" specify. The Frame manufacture constructs these frames by using a jig, and the aluminum frames are welded my robots, like you see in the automobile industry. They are usually precise with strict specifications and quality control. Once completed, the frames are shipped to the RV manufacture.

The RV manufacture often makes modifications to these frames. They may cut, alter or add extra tubing. They sometimes add aluminum tubing support to the structure in areas that need extra support like the front cap, walls etc. The RV manufactures then welds or "attempts to weld" the extra aluminum tubing to the frame. But what happens, if the customer has a problem with the structure? Who is at fault here? The frame manufacture, often gets the blame (and sometimes rightly so), because after all it's the structure they are having an issue with. But, just because it's a structural issue, it's not always the Frame manufacturers fault, it can be the RV manufactures fault.

Here is a real life example of someone who is going through a similar situation right now on a different forum that I'm on. The RV manufactures product has been mentioned in this thread:

The owner purchases a brand new 2016 X brand. After a towing it a couple of short trips notices a problem. It looks like the front cap is pulling away for the frame. He immediately takes it to his dealer, who contacts the RV manufacture and they tell the Dealer to fix (patch) it. They attempted to fix it according to the RV manufactures instructions. After the patch or fox, the customer takes it home and notices when he gets home it is pulling away again. He takes it back to the Dealer who again talks with the RV manufacture and they tell him to try another "patch" or fix, but to no avail... still not fixed. They spent several weeks taking pictures sending them to the RV manufacture, trying different "patches" while the Dealer is trying to explain to the RV manufacture they can't "fix" it there. The customer is frustrated and is trying to get someone at the RV manufacturer to help him, but he only gets the run around. He is sending video and pictures to the RV manufacture and no one seems to get the video or pictures...

After several attempts to "patch" fix it, the Dealer cuts into unit and finds the aluminum tubing that the RV manufacture "attempted" to welded to the supplied frame that the Frame manufacture built for them has failed. Looking at the picture, I'm surprised it made it out of the assembly line and to the RV manufactures lot much less to the Dealer without breaking off. Whoever the person was that tried to weld the tubing has to be the most incompetent welder ever. This was at stress point on the front end and it was only spot welded on the sides and it was only a matter of time before it would fail. There has to be... Absolutely NO Quality Control at that RV manufactures to allow this. This should have never made it to the next station on the assembly line. I hate to think how many more hard working owners who paid hard earned money for one of these units. This unit is now at the RV manufacture to get "fixed", "patched" or whatever they are going to do. The owner, has been making payments, has had to canceled a planned trip, and yes, the warranty clock is ticking down. He is every disheartened, and is concerned how many other issues he may be facing down the road from the stress on the frame structure from all of this, not to mention other welds this "welder" has worked on, on his unit. I believe he has a valid concern. X brand should have replaced this unit for him. I know that two other forum members who were looking at purchasing the X brand 5th wheel, will not even think of purchasing one. To be honest, from what I've read and heard from owners that have had warranty issues I'm not sure they care.

It doesn't matter if you have a structure issue, an AC unit goes bad, a screw falls out or whatever issue you have, if you take it in for warranty work, the customer who paid for these units should be the focus, taken care of in a timely manner.

It's really sad reading about owners who take there RV's in for warranty work and their RV is sitting on a Dealers lot for 2-3 months waiting for a part, or because the RV manufacture say's the Dealer should have caught it and fixed it, or the RV manufacture blames the Frame manufacture, the Frame manufacture blames the RV manufacture, while the owner and their family have to cancel their trip, keep making payments all while watching the warranty clock tick count down.

I remember back with the automobile industry when the US brands where putting out shoddy work, poor fit and finish, autos were breaking down, poor workmanship, poor attitudes, poor quality, lack of quality control and you were lucky to get 50,000 miles out of an auto. What happened? Japan, started selling their products with, quality reliable autos, you could see the quality workmanship, quality control was excellent. Japan took a big part of the market share that they still have not gotten back.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Honda, Toyota or others, jump in and see if we can't get some competition going. I think it would be good for prices, quality, and help to hold the RV manufactures to a higher standard...it could only help benefit us the consumers. I would also like to see more US parts being manufactured and installed in our RV's. I wouldn't mind paying for better quality parts.

Thankfully, there are still a few smaller RV manufactures, which aren't controlled by 85% of the RV industry, whose senior management are in touch and actively working in the production facilities, that are Customer Focused and put their Customers before their bottom line.

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First we are full-timers, living in Texas, visiting the panhandle in the winter. The temps ate as low as -10 with blowing snow. With 3 heat pumps, a fireplace and baseboard heat, double pane windows, great insulation and padded soft walls like a motorhome, we stay warm. We also live in 100+ temps and stay plenty cool. We also have solar and a generator.

The Augusta is not light. It weighs 22k lbs. We haul out with a Dodge 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine with Dual Alternators Rated at 440-Amps, AISIN 6-Speed Transmission, 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio, and Auto Level Rear Air Suspension. It pulls up to around 30k#. If the weight is a real issue, they have a lower weight option in the Ambition line. They do not have a den option but they are coming. The RV Factory had some residential, instead of recreational looktoy haulers. Google them. They are The RV Factory and you'll find them.

What has your experience been with these brands? None, we were sold in our unit after touring the factory and finding out the manufacturing specs. Not to mention, they are beautiful.

Are there other brands you think are well-built for full-timing beyond what our sales rep told us? Yes, Augusta, owned by The RV Factory makes very customizable full time 5th wheels. I referenced our model with the den below. There is a link too. It's gorgeous in person.

Does anyone have one with a den? How do you like it?
We do. We have the Augusta Luxe 42MD. It has a den. There is a Jack knife sofa with an optional bunk over it. There is cabinet space under it. There is a closet across from it that holds the washer and dryer, a desk with overhead cabinets and a tv over it's there is a hanging closet with cabinets over it and drawers under it. You can see the floorplan and photos here.
https://augusta-rv.com/luxe/lf-42mIt

We obviously love it. It's currently our 17 year old sons bedroom but will eventually be my husband's consulting office. About the washer and dryer, several customers have turned the closet around to have it open into the hallway instead of the room. Just an idea.

If we go with one with less cabinet space, can you install more cabinets?
With the Augusta, yes. You can customize it several different ways, what works for you. For example, our den has a Jack knife sofa in it and instead of the bunk, we had them build cabinets all across the back. They are also raising the bunk a little more to increase the storage option under it.

Or there another way you deal with less built-in storage space that doesn't look clunky?
We have a coffee table that holds bedding, we store it upside down on the couch when traveling. We also have a bench for clothing at the foot of the bed that we store on the bed when traveling. The Luxe has a full size residential stove option so I store my cabinet stiff in it when moving, and my pots and pans in it most of the time.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTurner74 View Post
First we are full-timers, living in Texas, visiting the panhandle in the winter. The temps ate as low as -10 with blowing snow. With 3 heat pumps, a fireplace and baseboard heat, double pane windows, great insulation and padded soft walls like a motorhome, we stay warm. We also live in 100+ temps and stay plenty cool. We also have solar and a generator.

The Augusta is not light. It weighs 22k lbs. We haul out with a Dodge 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine with Dual Alternators Rated at 440-Amps, AISIN 6-Speed Transmission, 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio, and Auto Level Rear Air Suspension. It pulls up to around 30k#. If the weight is a real issue, they have a lower weight option in the Ambition line. They do not have a den option but they are coming. The RV Factory had some residential, instead of recreational looktoy haulers. Google them. They are The RV Factory and you'll find them.

What has your experience been with these brands? None, we were sold in our unit after touring the factory and finding out the manufacturing specs. Not to mention, they are beautiful.

Are there other brands you think are well-built for full-timing beyond what our sales rep told us? Yes, Augusta, owned by The RV Factory makes very customizable full time 5th wheels. I referenced our model with the den below. There is a link too. It's gorgeous in person.

Does anyone have one with a den? How do you like it?
We do. We have the Augusta Luxe 42MD. It has a den. There is a Jack knife sofa with an optional bunk over it. There is cabinet space under it. There is a closet across from it that holds the washer and dryer, a desk with overhead cabinets and a tv over it's there is a hanging closet with cabinets over it and drawers under it. You can see the floorplan and photos here.
https://augusta-rv.com/luxe/lf-42mIt

We obviously love it. It's currently our 17 year old sons bedroom but will eventually be my husband's consulting office. About the washer and dryer, several customers have turned the closet around to have it open into the hallway instead of the room. Just an idea.

If we go with one with less cabinet space, can you install more cabinets?
With the Augusta, yes. You can customize it several different ways, what works for you. For example, our den has a Jack knife sofa in it and instead of the bunk, we had them build cabinets all across the back. They are also raising the bunk a little more to increase the storage option under it.

Or there another way you deal with less built-in storage space that doesn't look clunky?
We have a coffee table that holds bedding, we store it upside down on the couch when traveling. We also have a bench for clothing at the foot of the bed that we store on the bed when traveling. The Luxe has a full size residential stove option so I store my cabinet stiff in it when moving, and my pots and pans in it most of the time.

Good luck!
Curious as to what the payload is on your truck. That Luxe has to have at least 5000# of pin weight at 22k gvwr.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffox00 View Post
We love Tiffin products. We have close friends that have a Tiffin Phaeton. In fact in 2015 they purchased three in one year...lol. My buddy’s wife had camped all her life, but he had never camped before. He is one that likes the best and can afford it. They started with the Allegro, Allegro Bus and finally settled on a Phaeton. He just wanted more HP and torque. Now he is looking at the 2017...

I've been camping since I was 9 yrs. old. My wife had never camped before. When we retired in 2011, even though we've been looking at purchasing a RV since 2004, I was kind of hesitant on pulling the trigger, because I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into it until I knew she was going to like it.

Four years ago, a good friend of ours from church had a 1995 36' Itasca Suncruiser that they weren't using much anymore, since all the kids were grown and gone told me that if would just pay it off we could have it. He still owed 7,900 on it. We went to look at it and it was in great shape... new tires, maintained with all records, etc. It was the first year that Itasca came out with a slide (large 12 x 3' deep slide) on the Suncruiser. We really weren't even looking at a motor home, but I figured for the price we couldn't go wrong. The first weekend we took it out, my wife fell in love with it and the RV'ing experience.

Our purpose for purchasing a RV besides loving RV'ing was to travel the US. Even though the Itasca is in great shape (strong engine, transmission, breaks, tires) it now has 82K miles and I just didn't want to travel the US in it especially in the mountains. I have to problems on 300-400 mile trips. I looked very seriously purchasing a 2016 or 2017 Tiffin Phaeton, but I just couldn't get the dealer to meet my price.

We decided for our purpose and for the money a 2017 F 350 DRW, King Ranch Ultimate, Loaded, with a Grand Design 384GK-R 5th wheel, was the best way to go.

There weren't any Vialno's to look at when we were shopping either. Looking at the brochures on-line though, I could have sworn I was looking at the Grand Design Solitude. They are using much of the same flooring, slides, fixtures, sinks, shower stalls, windows, AC, furnace, counter tops, microwave, oven, refrigerator, other parts, floor plan and I can't tell, but just reading the brochure, they are probably using the Lippert frame, but IDK.

There are only few RV Parts manufacturers and distributors and "most" all 5th wheel RV manufactures purchase and install the same brand name parts as their competitors.

So what is the difference between the RV manufactures? It's the Attitude, Care, Pride and Workmanship of those installing these parts. It's the Management, Manufacturing Process, Materials, Quality Control, and Customer Service after the sale, and how Warranty Claims are handled in a Timely Manner.

It doesn't matter, if you purchase the best RV, Automobile, Washing Machine, etc. that money can buy, if you have a Warranty Claim and your unit sits at the dealer for 3 months, because they are waiting for a part from the manufacture, while you are making payments, canceling trips, you can't use it and the warranty clock is ticking down, then what good is it.

Most RV manufactures, purchase frames that are either stock frames or frames built on the RV manufactures specifications that their "engineers" specify. The Frame manufacture constructs these frames by using a jig, and the aluminum frames are welded my robots, like you see in the automobile industry. They are usually precise with strict specifications and quality control. Once completed, the frames are shipped to the RV manufacture.

The RV manufacture often makes modifications to these frames. They may cut, alter or add extra tubing. They sometimes add aluminum tubing support to the structure in areas that need extra support like the front cap, walls etc. The RV manufactures then welds or "attempts to weld" the extra aluminum tubing to the frame. But what happens, if the customer has a problem with the structure? Who is at fault here? The frame manufacture, often gets the blame (and sometimes rightly so), because after all it's the structure they are having an issue with. But, just because it's a structural issue, it's not always the Frame manufacturers fault, it can be the RV manufactures fault.

Here is a real life example of someone who is going through a similar situation right now on a different forum that I'm on. The RV manufactures product has been mentioned in this thread:

The owner purchases a brand new 2016 X brand. After a towing it a couple of short trips notices a problem. It looks like the front cap is pulling away for the frame. He immediately takes it to his dealer, who contacts the RV manufacture and they tell the Dealer to fix (patch) it. They attempted to fix it according to the RV manufactures instructions. After the patch or fox, the customer takes it home and notices when he gets home it is pulling away again. He takes it back to the Dealer who again talks with the RV manufacture and they tell him to try another "patch" or fix, but to no avail... still not fixed. They spent several weeks taking pictures sending them to the RV manufacture, trying different "patches" while the Dealer is trying to explain to the RV manufacture they can't "fix" it there. The customer is frustrated and is trying to get someone at the RV manufacturer to help him, but he only gets the run around. He is sending video and pictures to the RV manufacture and no one seems to get the video or pictures...

After several attempts to "patch" fix it, the Dealer cuts into unit and finds the aluminum tubing that the RV manufacture "attempted" to welded to the supplied frame that the Frame manufacture built for them has failed. Looking at the picture, I'm surprised it made it out of the assembly line and to the RV manufactures lot much less to the Dealer without breaking off. Whoever the person was that tried to weld the tubing has to be the most incompetent welder ever. This was at stress point on the front end and it was only spot welded on the sides and it was only a matter of time before it would fail. There has to be... Absolutely NO Quality Control at that RV manufactures to allow this. This should have never made it to the next station on the assembly line. I hate to think how many more hard working owners who paid hard earned money for one of these units. This unit is now at the RV manufacture to get "fixed", "patched" or whatever they are going to do. The owner, has been making payments, has had to canceled a planned trip, and yes, the warranty clock is ticking down. He is every disheartened, and is concerned how many other issues he may be facing down the road from the stress on the frame structure from all of this, not to mention other welds this "welder" has worked on, on his unit. I believe he has a valid concern. X brand should have replaced this unit for him. I know that two other forum members who were looking at purchasing the X brand 5th wheel, will not even think of purchasing one. To be honest, from what I've read and heard from owners that have had warranty issues I'm not sure they care.

It doesn't matter if you have a structure issue, an AC unit goes bad, a screw falls out or whatever issue you have, if you take it in for warranty work, the customer who paid for these units should be the focus, taken care of in a timely manner.

It's really sad reading about owners who take there RV's in for warranty work and their RV is sitting on a Dealers lot for 2-3 months waiting for a part, or because the RV manufacture say's the Dealer should have caught it and fixed it, or the RV manufacture blames the Frame manufacture, the Frame manufacture blames the RV manufacture, while the owner and their family have to cancel their trip, keep making payments all while watching the warranty clock tick count down.

I remember back with the automobile industry when the US brands where putting out shoddy work, poor fit and finish, autos were breaking down, poor workmanship, poor attitudes, poor quality, lack of quality control and you were lucky to get 50,000 miles out of an auto. What happened? Japan, started selling their products with, quality reliable autos, you could see the quality workmanship, quality control was excellent. Japan took a big part of the market share that they still have not gotten back.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Honda, Toyota or others, jump in and see if we can't get some competition going. I think it would be good for prices, quality, and help to hold the RV manufactures to a higher standard...it could only help benefit us the consumers. I would also like to see more US parts being manufactured and installed in our RV's. I wouldn't mind paying for better quality parts.

Thankfully, there are still a few smaller RV manufactures, which aren't controlled by 85% of the RV industry, whose senior management are in touch and actively working in the production facilities, that are Customer Focused and put their Customers before their bottom line.
We looked at the GD384GK as well but I think the Villano is much better looking inside imo! For us it's the Vanleigh or spend 20k more and get the Landmark Newport!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

We looked at the GD384GK as well but I think the Villano is much better looking inside. I didn't like color of the wood in the GD! For us it's the Vanleigh or spend 20k more and get the Landmark Newport!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Curious as to what the payload is on your truck. That Luxe has to have at least 5000# of pin weight at 22k gvwr.
Our truck specs... 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine Dual Alternators Rated at 440-Amps AISIN 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 25,000 lb. Direct-Mount 5th-Wheel Hitch. GVWR: 14,000 lbs Max Payload: 5,910 lbs Max Trailer loaded weight: 29,300 lbs
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Honda, Toyota or others, jump in and see if we can't get some competition going. I think it would be good for prices, quality, and help to hold the RV manufactures to a higher standard...it could only help benefit us the consumers. I would also like to see more US parts being mahttps://m.winnebagoind.com/company/news/grand-designnufactured and installed in our RV's. I wouldn't mind paying for better quality parts.

Just a side note, Winnebago just recently bought Grand Design. The smaller RV manufacturers list just got smaller. https://m.winnebagoind.com/company/news/grand-design
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTurner74 View Post
Our truck specs... 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine Dual Alternators Rated at 440-Amps AISIN 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 25,000 lb. Direct-Mount 5th-Wheel Hitch. GVWR: 14,000 lbs Max Payload: 5,910 lbs Max Trailer loaded weight: 29,300 lbs
I have the same truck but a 2015. My pin weight is 5,800# and I am at my RAWR, I am under my FAWR and also within my GCVWR. Combo is 33K and tows my 23K Mobile Suites very well. The GVWR of 14K is irrelevant as it is the magical number that keeps the truck in Class 3 for licensing and insurance purposes.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #54

We bought an RV and rented out our house to get the feel for RV living before we hit the road. I also became a grandma right before we bought. We got the 379FL and have lived in it for a year, it has been perfect! I babysit my grandson during the week and it is perfect for him so far. I can place a baby gate across from the recliners to the wall to keep him from tumbling down the stairs. We also have a blanket we put up that attaches with velcro to the ceiling to keep the heat upstairs in the winter months if needed. We still have a lot of crap from moving but storage hasn't been a huge problem. I definitely recommend the Solitude just make sure you get a water pressure regulator to prevent water line bursts because this model doesn't come with one and they fail to inform you of that fact. I super love the space up here in this living room!
Glitterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote