Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Bristol Bay 5th wheel 2009 model 3420bh

I was just wondering if anyone else is having problems with their SB 5th wheels. Since we purchased it brand new last january (2010) we have nothing but problems with it. Had to replace all 4 tires between bubbles on the side walls to a blow out. The toilet exploded though the exhaust vent when I first tried flushing it out with the flushing attachment on the rig, this happened due to the mislabeling of the tanks. The bed came apart in the master bedroon due too the screws fastening it at the top missed the frame itself so the whole thing shifted and broke the frame. Cabinet latches would not hold the doors closed they have been replaced a 4th time. The couch drawer fell apart, the main slide needed to be adjusted it was sticking out at the bottom. The awnings had to be adjusted due too them sliding down. Three day night shades broke and whenever my dealer ordered new ones they either were the wrong color or size. Then the spring in the oven door broke so it wouldn't stay closed all the way. We went through the manufacturer and they said it wasn't covered, I called them instead of my dealer and talked to a representative and he said it was covered so my dealer called back and talked to the individual I did and got authorization for replacing the spring. And then to break the camels back I took it to my dealer to have the hubs lubed and brakes inspected and when they got ready too do the work they noticed that the torsion bar box between the axels was bent out 30 degrees and the other was bent in 10 degrees. They mounted the torsion bar box that was 6 inches wide to the frame that was only 2 inches wide and maybe an eight of an inch thick, someone placed a small piece of steel as a gusset to add strength which obviously didn't work. My dealer called Sonny Brook and he also sent them pictures. Their answer was that the rig is out of warranty and besides all they did was weld the moreride suspension box to the lippar frame and that the Lippar representative okayed the work done at the factory. My dealer called lippar and they said it was Sonny Brooks responsibility for the welding and the torsion box being installed improperly. So now this repair is going to cost me over $1400 dollars to repair. the trailer is inoperable until this is repaired because it could cause the trailer to flip on it's side and take my truck with it. So please if anyone else has been having problems with their Bristol Bay 5th wheels please let me know. You all have a great day.
Ron Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sorry to hear of your problems. Sunny Brook used to build a good quality RV. but it appears that they are suffering from the same issues as others...lower cost, cut corners and worked that have never heard of Quality Control.

Lippert has been having frame problems for several years now. i am surprised the the frame did not come from Lippert with the suspension installed.

As for tires, When I looked at the Bristol Bay, the first thing i noticed were the tires looked woefully inadequate. When I looked at the tire load ratings, they were barely adequate fro the axle capacity.

Since they are having to do suspension work, it may be best to go ahead and upgrade the axles and or tires for a higher capacity rating.

And glad to have you here on iRV2.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Ken

Thank you for your comments. I have already upgraded the tires where they are now rated for 7,000 lbs per axel and the axel's are rated at 6,000 lbs. We are currently working with SB to see what they can do about this suspension problem, my dealer did get a response back from Moreride and they are sending a bracket to mount between the suspension boxes to hold them straight, maybe that should have been done the first time I don't know. Also we talked to a higher up in SB who is looking into the frame problem with Lippard, he looked at the pictures provided by my dealer and says it looks like a frame problem. He is suppose to be calling us back today, we will see what happens thwen. I am still going to write to Trailer life as soon as I see how much it is going to cost me out of pocket to correct the problem and after I send letters to the CEO's of lippard and Sonny Brook to ask for re-imbursement. Again thanks for your comments.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #4

Please keep us posted.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5

Well asusual SB has not return our call with an answer, Looks like we will call again tomorrow. (Love their Customer Service) NOT.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should start a registered letter writing campaign.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Kinda late now but hope when you changed tires you put LT's on.......
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote