Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Broken black tank vent cover

The trees have grown around the driveway where I store my 5er, and I broke off one of the sewer vents on top of the trailer when I pulled it out this weekend. I found the vents on Amazon for like 5 bucks. My question is about the sealant around the vents. What is it?

Are there any vents out there that don't degrade so bad in the sun?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know what the mfg used, but you want to use Dicor self-leveling sealant on a roof.

Yes, they make vents with different types of material and quality. They also make just replacement tops the same way. I just replaced one on my trailer that didn't last 4 years in the sun. The new vent lid is 5 times thicker/stronger, UV proof and I believe a lifetime guarentee.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I don't know what the mfg used, but you want to use Dicor self-leveling sealant on a roof.

Yes, they make vents with different types of material and quality. They also make just replacement tops the same way. I just replaced one on my trailer that didn't last 4 years in the sun. The new vent lid is 5 times thicker/stronger, UV proof and I believe a lifetime guarentee.

Which vent is that?

It really sucks because we got rain in between the time it happened and the time I found it...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by treypal View Post

Which vent is that?

It really sucks because we got rain in between the time it happened and the time I found it...
The vent was just a standard roof vent, 14x14 used in trailers and RVs. There are 3 different styles (used over the years) as far as what replacement top fits it. You would need to get the mfg name and model off the vent. Then go to an RV store and get a replacement. I got mine online, but don't remember where. A google search for "rv roof vent lid" should give you what you need to do your shopping.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Like someone else said, self-leveling caulk is what you want to use. Dicor is one brand that sells it.

Assuming you are talking about a sewer tank roof vent and not a 14x14" roof vent, I would suggest getting a metal replacement like this one. Shipping cost more than the vent on that site, but maybe you can find it locally.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

I always carry two new vents in my storage at all times. Most come with a strip of white butyl putty tape. Lay that around the base of the new vent, put the screws thru the tape to hold them in place and make it easy to find the old holes, tighten it down snug but don't overtighten and crack it. Then seal the screws and around the edge with Dicor.
Bob
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #7

I replaced mine with the same plastic one that was on it before. I used the dicor self leveling caulk or sealant. Also I covered the exposed area of vent cap with a layer of the dicor as sun protectant. Seems the old one was all brittle and dicor seem indestructible. Picked up a extra cap as a spare. If I did it over again I would use one of a galvanized metal ones.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced one of the 12-year-old plastic sewer vent caps on top of the 5er last week. It was a plastic jobbie that fit into the pipe via a spring steel clip. Available at the first RV store I could find near Austin. Cost around $5. But yeah, UV will destroy it in another 12 years.

Looks like this:

Here's a source.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/p...nial-white.htm

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, vent