Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, I think I'm in the right forum for this. I have the Atwood electric landing gear on my 5th wheel, the pinion gear is damaged from the hole being worn out in the plate letting it run at an angle to the larger gear. My question is: Do they sell that plate/gear set and shafts as an assembly? I can call tomorrow but thought I'd ask here tonight.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, I think I'm in the right forum for this. I have the Atwood electric landing gear on my 5th wheel, the pinion gear is damaged from the hole being worn out in the plate letting it run at an angle to the larger gear. My question is: Do they sell that plate/gear set and shafts as an assembly? I can call tomorrow but thought I'd ask here tonight.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #3

To contact Atwood with questions, call (574) 264-2131 Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm Eastern Time (holiday times may vary).
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #4

I had to do mine a few years ago, when I accidentally dropped the 5er... only fell an inch , but it was enough to shatter the the bronze pinion gears. the set ran me around 45 bucks, take your old set in with you when you get the new ones as there are about 5 different sizes available.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I found out that you have to buy the gearbox assy, includes gears, shafts, housing and all. The style mine has has square cut gears in a housing that can't be disassembled, kind of an all in one piece unit. You just unbolt it from the leg and replace it after removing the motor.

Got one ordered!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #6

Hey Tom,

I actually have the same problem. The leg with the motor assembly has 2 bad pinion gears so the leg doesn't move. I emailed Atwood about replacement gears or a whole replacement leg.

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost for a new leg?

Jake
Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Jake

I don't know what a new leg would cost, I'm just replacing the gearbox, it was a 100 bucks out the door.

You may have a different style if yours has more than one pinion gear. Mine has a pinion gear on a shaft that the motor turns which in turn spins a much larger gear that turns the shaft going into the leg assy, the gearbox assy and that larger gear slide over the shaft that comes out of the leg.

Most RV dealers are willing to help you look for the parts you need, mine bent over backwards, even called atwood to make sure we were looking at the correct part.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #8

Sorry Tom, I meant to say 2 beveled gears are stripped.

I will post a pic tonight.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #9

Ok, here is a pic of the stripped out gears...

Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ciscofreak - that looks like my set up. I put a zerk (grease) fitting in the cap, covering those gears, and also run a hose up from the bottom to grease the threads. The gears are available in different sizes.
It was a Pain 1st time taking the motor & assemble apart, but real do-able.
Mike

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #11

Thanks Mike. What I did notice is that after removing the gear and shaft, the bottom gear looks to have a broken bushing letting the bottom gear wobble around quite a bit. I am wondering how to get into the gearbox itself. Do I break the weld on that black part under the bottom gear to remove it? Can I go in from the bottom to get inside?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #12

Have you tried driving the pin out of the top gear? That should release the cross shaft. Once that is out the lower shaft gear assembly should screw out.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #13

Yea I removed the upper gear and shaft. I then removed the lower gear (slid off) and that's how far I am.

The lower shaft wiggles alot like the bearing/bushing is crushed. There is a plate that is tack-welded in place to close off the gearbox part of the jack. It looks like if I break that tack-weld I will be able to get into the gearbox part of the jack.

I wonder if all this is worth it or should I just order a complete leg from Atwood. I will post a picture of the leg with the gears removed to see if anyone has information on what to do next.

Maybe I will start my own thread because I totally highjacked this thread. Sorry...
Old 03-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
ciscofreak, don't worry about hijacking the thread. I already know what my issue is and hopefully solved as soon as I install the gearbox. It looks like your problem is in the leg where mine was in the gearbox. If I looked I'd bet the top of my leg has the same gears, think I will look in there and make sure there is plenty of grease before putting the gearbox on.