Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Broken spring

When leaving for a weekend of camping two weeks ago I noticed the trailer was not tracking right. Sure enough I have a broken spring. It's the left rear axle spring. The tires on that side are now about two inches apart. The spring has come to rest against the frame My dilemma now is trying to get it fixed. My dealer contacted his mobile guy to see if he could fix it here at home on my paved parking spot for the trailer. He is out of town. Another dealer close by said they couldn't do it at my place, so has a couple of close by spring shops that say I would have to tow it in. I have been told to "use some wood and chain to hold the axle in place and tow it to the shop" Ok. Anyone here know how to do this. I assume I would need to pull the axle back to where it belongs. Hence the chain. Where would the wood go exactly? How exactly would I pull the axle back?
Or....what would I need in the way of equipment and tools do do this myself in the driveway and what procedure would I use? I know, a lot of questions but it seems I am stuck. Can't fix it here and no one knows how to get it there. I thank you in advance for your help.

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #2

First a compound question. Is the actual spring broken, just the hanger brackets, just a bolt, what exactly? If one has the proper equipment this is not a mind-bender, just time consuming work. You have the opposite side as a pattern. Tools required, adequate jack-stands, hydraulic jacks for lifting the 5er enough to place the jack-stands, a small floor jack for positioning the axle, various hand tools. That is not an all-inclusive list. Of course this task cannot begin until replacement parts are on site. I do know you will need new axle U bolts as they are not reusable.
Caution- you must have your trailer parked on reasonably level concrete.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get the trailer to a spring shop I didn't know was so close to home. About a kilometer away. As the shop start working on the trailer it was apparent that everything was pretty wore out. Bushings were shot and the shackles and equalizer holes were oval in shape. He said that the original equipment was barely adequate. Changed all four spring sets for new including an extra main spring support leaf in each. New bushings, shacles, equalizers, U bolts and bolts and nuts. Should be ok for a while now. The shop owner said that new bushings should be installed at least every two years. Sounds like good advise to me.

Dan
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Did they install a wet bolt kit or simply install more of the original plastic junk?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

Having broken spring shackles I would definitely go with the heavy duty, greasable shackles. First thing I had done when I got a new, used 5er - since they were greasing the bearings, not much extra labor to do the shackles.
frankparisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #6

I would call a mobile truck repair company , buy a ez flex kit from dexter and a replacment spring . Its not a bad job maybe 2~3 hours with the right tools. the EZ flex kit comes with brass bushing for all the springs with grease fitting and you get the ez flex rockers as a bonus. I would not take a chance on towing it , not worth the problems that can happen. Again these trailer repair shops are just general mechanics at best anyways so I would deal with a pro over them !

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - K71-653-00 E-Z Flex Complete Tandem Kit
Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

you might want to install shocks
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote