Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Bubbling on our new Winnebego

We just purchased a Winnebego Destination 35RE. So far not impresse. It was a 2015 but we bought it new. The outside moulding is pulling away from unit and the front lower right corner of fiberglass is bubbling.

We are very scared that we may have the beginning of delamination.

The inside has a multitude of issues wrong with it. Some major issues and sone minor ones. We have had it 3 weeks and we are thinking we made a really bad choice in purchasing this 5th wheel.
The dealer, Giant RV issued due bills and said they would fix things when the parts come in. So far no parts have been ordered. Winnabego is being very nice on the phone. But words don't mean much if they are not backed up with actions.

Has anyone had issues with their Winnebego 5th wheel

Luvmyraiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Hey raiders....we purchased a 2014 36RL when they first came out...unfortunately my wife fell in love with it online and we bought it sight unseen. I posted several items of frustration we had after delivery concerning design things I felt (and still feel) were just really poor decisions by Winnebago. Location of the low point drain pulls behind the wall was one...I fixed by cutting through the sheet metal and installed an access panel door. The location of the water filter so far inside the basement, you had to crawl inside to remove...I relocated it to just inside the storage door wall. The bypass valves for the hot water heater for when you needed to use rv antifreeze to winterize being behind the wall in the middle of the basement storage....can not do anything about this, so I now blow lines out instead of using antifreeze. I would not have purchased the unit had I seen it in person, but I own it now!!

I have not had any fiberglass issues as of yet...concerning your mention of the outside moulding pulling away. I am guessing you are talking about the small metal trim piece that is at the bottom of the gelcoat wall where it meets the sheet metal bottom skirt. If so, we do have some areas that have pulled away ever so slightly. I learned this area is not too critical as it is basically a trim piece to hide that seam and any water that runs through there just drips to the ground and does not penetrate anything. However, to address it, I have some very small self tapping screws that I have placed into those spots and it has snugged it right down and has been fine since then.

Bottom line is that the unit has had no major fouls for us and is functioning really just as well as our former Carriage Cameo unit did. We have done several very long trips (in excess of 3,500 mile type trips) as well as many smaller trips under 1,500 miles and have had no issues with it. That said, even though I was a little turned off by some items mentioned above upon initial delivery, I am happy enough with the unit in its current state.

Wish you the best with addressing the fiberglass issues through Giant RV...Joella at Winnebago has always been extremely nice and helpful to me when I had to call them to get info or advice, so I imagine they will help your dealer address any issues that need attention. Hopefully, you will be a happy camper soon!!

mcumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
new destination 37fls

We purchased our destination in July. Unit was impressive but we started having doubts the first few days. One thing was the low point drains being so far in from the access panel inside the basement, they could not be reached.
I read mcumbies post and had the same idea about cutting the side of the convienance center. Just today I put a 8 inch round boat dock plate there with a screw in lid. When I cut the hole, right there was the drain valves and also the water pump. Why didn't winnebago think of something so easy and simple? Then there was our kitchen exhaust fan that didn't blow any air outside or draw any smoke from inside. Stopped at dealer on last camping trip and they found that fan in microwave had blower installed wrong. That problem fixed. Then there are the hid abed sofas that have nylon pallet banding material stretched across the frame to support the mattress that have broken. Im in the process of finding a solution for this. Like maybe real thick zip ties.
We like our unit, but have constant concerns about what we will find next. Thought we were stepping up by buying a winnebago. Sort of disappointed. But we like it. But saying that I would sell if someone makes a reasonable offer.
bob3346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
bob3346, if your couch is like our's, it's made by Lippert. And there have been issues like yours with the strapping breaking. You can unzip the cushion and cut a piece of plywood to screw to the aluminum frame. That will give your couch/bed a permanent fix.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote