Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Bumper fix opinion

I'll shorten the story up. Last summer while hauling the spare tire almost took our bumper off. It tore the metal where the support mounts to the bumper...the welds didn't fail...it was actually the bumper that tore. I torqued bumper back into place and welded the tears up.

Forward to this year. I really want that spare tire back on there so I don't have to wag that around in the truck or mount it under the camper. I was thinking about welding some extra supports under that bumper and then moving the spare over to one side next to the support. The factory had that spare right in the middle of the bumper and I think the torque it would put on the bumper would be a lot less if it were closer to the support instead of in the middle where it's easier to flex the bumper. Opinions on if you guys think this would work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

Mounting the spare in the center puts equal weight on the two body brackets. Moving the spare to one side puts more weight on that body bracket. If you feel the bracket can handle the weight go for it. Your welded plates will do the job,moving the spare to either side will certainly reduce flex and metal fatigue . Don't know what kind of an RV you have or the ground clearence, but don't sell the under rv spare mount short. This same failure was discussed a while ago and someone suggested the under mount. I looked at the system and was impressed with the simplicity and the low cost. My suggestion is ,,,check it out.

CLIFF

Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

that may have been a thread of mine haha......I've been pondering this for some time now. I'm not a fan of that under body mount. My water tank drain and galley grey tank's exit are behind the rear axle so it would have to go aft of that. I boon dock fairly regular and would worry about it catching something being that far back if I was going from one hill to the next. I jacked up a stabilizer last year getting my camper into a spot because of the inclines. If I did it forward of the axles it would have to be up at the very front because of where my black/grey tanks exit. It's just nice and out of the way on that bumper. What isn't out of the way is if that bumper comes off and goes bouncing down the road so I would like to prevent that haha.
I was going to use boxed tubing welded under the support and bracket. Looking at those rips in it last year it was due to that tire being up high like it is and bouncing back and forth. The supports are pretty hardy on it and the welds look great so I can't see where the spare being to one side would hurt anything there. The bumper is the weak link. The trailer is a KZ Spree 305BHS.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
IC2

Our 5er has (had?!!) a belly mount spare until I dragged it in a gas station tank fill and then a very high crowned road. No damage beyond a scare but it came out and was put in the bed of the truck. Unfortunately the back bumper is about 3/4s recessed and made of pretty puny material. Soooo that 8 foot truck bed seems to be the only decent way to carry that 'bomb'.

What I'm saying is that the belly mount while a good idea, may not work for all 5ers
Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

that's kind of my concerns with it too.....I put my camper on some land every fall for hunting season. It's really tricky getting it in there as I have to pull up a hill and then back it through a low spot up onto another hill. Like I said....last year I drug a rear stabilizer and ruined it. Lesson learned....those stabilizers will be coming off this year before I attempt it but I also don't want to add a tire hanging down back there either. Pretty sure my current plan for that bumper will work. I think basically extending those supports out under the bumper should take all the twist and bounce out of that bumper.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

Orion, can you weld a diagonal bracket from under the spare center to the under-body support bracket . This would be like adding a lever to reduce square bumper flex.

CLIFF
Old 05-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

I had given that some thought also. Appearance is important to me too and I was worried how that may look back there. I'd also thought about making shorter 4-6" diagonal pieces instead of going straight out from under the supports or going all the way to the center. I'll mock a few up and see what it looks like and how visible those pieces are.

Something like this if you were looking vertically at that bumper:

Old 05-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Orion, that's what I had in mind, but maybe change the angle so the bracket falls onder the center of the spare. ( one inch sq. tube? )

CLIFF
Old 05-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #9

I looked at it a bit yesterday and mocked up a couple pieces. My stabilizers are mounted to the bottom of that support and they don't leave me a ton of room on that support to play with....about 4". I think that's enough support to work with though. Yes....I was planning on using 1" boxed tubing. The entire time I'm looking at this I can't help but think how unnecessary this should be.....if KZ (and others) didn't skimp so much on the bumper it wouldn't be an issue. Why even put that bumper on there? It's so light it'd serve zero purpose in a crash and evidently you can't mount a spare to it in stock form so it's really serving no purpose there.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #10

It's not a bumper it's a storage place for your sewer hose :>)

CLIFF
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

good point
Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #12

Instead of strengthening the rear bumper, why not just replace the factory set up with one that is of thicker steel. Once welded into place on the frame it should be strong enough to hold whatever you want. Just my 2 cents.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Instead of strengthening the rear bumper, why not just replace the factory set up with one that is of thicker steel. Once welded into place on the frame it should be strong enough to hold whatever you want. Just my 2 cents.
That is what I did. Not only is the original thin, I found that because they had no weep holes in the bottom, it had rusted completely through. I was fortunate that the original had a aluminum L shaped cover that went back on so you can't see what changes I made. 1/8" wall now and I no longer use it for slinky storage.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

I wrapped my bumper with a thick angle iron on the top and bottom on the side against the back of the trailer. Both pieces were notched around the trailer frame then welded directly to it, I did this to add a hitch so I can pull my boat. It's tough and it aint going nowhere. Kinda like I wrapped the back side of the bumper in a super heavy U. Also when we got ours it didn't have rear stabilizers. I added some but made a angle iron slot for them to slip into when needed. It leaves then un attached so there's no chance of them ever dragging and they are the handiest and quickest little jack to use for all sorts of projects. One will jack up the riding mower like butter.