Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Bumper mounted spare issue

Last summer coming back from VA Beach we had a really close call with the spare. I stopped for lunch and fuel and did my usual walk around and noticed the spare looked funny. On closer inspection the bumper had partially torn away from the mounts. I know those bumpers are weak but everything I've read said a spare would be fine on it and I even emailed KZ and asked them about it. Evidently not. I can't imagine the damage that bumper and spare would've done had it came all the way off and hit someone. I took the spare off and carried it in the camper until we got home.

After we got home I broke out the welder and welded the bumper back on. The problem I have now is what to do with this spare. I'm really not looking forward to wagging this thing around in the back of the truck all year. I have stuff already in the bed and it'll be a huge inconvenience in there. I also don't really want to carry it inside the camper. I'm just not sure how much I trust that thing on the bumper now. I've briefly considered trying to figure out a way to beef up that bumper to the support but the issue is the welds aren't what broke....the bumper itself started ripping away so reinforcing the bumper to the mount isn't really going to help that. Any ideas on what I can do here?
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

I had the same problem about eight years ago with mine. I welded everything back together then used some 1/8" steel to make some gussets that went on top and the bottom of the bumper where it attaches to the frame. Once I welded those on the bumper is still solid even with the tire hanging on it.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

That's kinda what I was thinking about doing and maybe even doing a 90 degree on either side of the support to the bumper. I figured if I tacked enough metal to it something would hold haha. Just not sure if I can trust it again. I was thinking about making a tire holder that goes under the camper behind the axles. Would be a pain to get out if I ever needed it but frankly if I'm getting the spare out I'm having a pretty terrible day to begin with so what's one more step.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Hi ORION, putting the spare under sounds good. Go to a salvage yard and get a spare tire assembly from a mini van or such. They have a cable and crank system. That would be quite easy to adapt. Crank the tire up ,crank it down.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #5