Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Bunk House

My wife, 5 yr old, 7 yr old and me are looking at fulltiming. We are looking for recommendations for a 5th wheel with a bunkhouse. We like the double slides on the bunkhouse. Anyone have a bunkhouse with only one slide that is roomy.

It also has to be 3/4 ton 2015 Chevrolet 2500 Crew cab towable.

2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Crew Cab
flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
You're going to have a problem finding a bunkhouse that is both low enough in weight to be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck and one that is full time capable.

Most bunkhouses are very long and thus very heavy fifth wheels.

I bought a Grand Design Reflection 323BHS (bunkhouse), but it's not a full time unit. It is, however, capable of being towed by a 3/4 ton truck @ 12K lbs. dry weight and 2K Pin weight. We're very satisfied after ordering it with the SuperSofa in lieu of a dinette set we'd seldom use anyway.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
I agree with Bamaman about the full timing in a light weight 5er.

That being said, we have a 2014 Crusader 335BHS touring edition and use a Ford F250 as the TV. I have posted my real world weights in the Forest River/ Prime Time forums if you are interested.
- - - -
Mike & Lori
2014 Crusader 335 BHS TE
NewB2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
I pull a sabre 34tbok(39') with a f250 Gasser. It has one slider in the bunk house and is great for my family. I've got three girls, 11, 8, & 2. Like others said, probably not considered a full time unit though. I doubt you'd find a full timer bunkhouse fiver that is 3/4T towable.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Thank you everyone. Anyone else with double slides in the bunkhouse?
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Crew Cab
flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
We have a Mountaineer (342PHT) with three slides, one of which had 4 bunks in it. Since there are only two of us, I took the bunks out and use the room for storage. We have been full time for 3 years and tow with a F250 with a 7.3 liter diesel.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Evergreen Owners Club
I full time in my 2014 Bay Hill 385BH and it is very comfortable so far. There again I have only had it a few weeks, but it is supposed to be built for full / extended time living. So far, I love it. 5 slides, 41' long, pulls like a dream....not too heavy feeling. Anyway, lots of choices out there, good luck!
Chad And Lily Hendrick, 2009 F-450, Tuned, Exhaust, Intake, Studded, Bypass Filters, 2014 Bay Hill 385BH, 2 Kids And A Dog
texascowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Well we don't have slides at all in the bunkhouse but we bought the Cedar Creek 37 foot BH 2001 model in 2006 when we had two teenage girls to live in it for six months the first time we tried fulltiming--we hadn't sold the house so it was too easy to give up on RVing. We loved the big corner desk and abundance of cabinets in the bunkhouse but Cedar Creek is the craftiest I've seen at finding storage places. I still haven't used all of mine--I'd likely be overweighted if I did anyway. The CC is alumilite--lighter weight than those not built that way--and we pull her like she's not even back there with a Dodge 3500 diesel. They said it could be pulled by a 2500, but my husband went with what he considered the best truck at the time--Dodge made the only diesel on the market in 2006 and it was in the 3500--ask me about the Dodge, I hate it for a whole slew of reasons.

Think about this, if you have a double slide in the bunkhouse not only will it increase the weight so much you may put yourself out of the class, you'll only have more unnecessary junk to put up when you close the slides to move. But my girls were never clothes hogs--they loved to shop at thrift stores anyway so we didn't take much and got rid of stuff as we brought new stuff in--or had much normal teenage paraphernalia. Our 37 footer is considered small by some, and my husband doesn't like pulling that length, but it's not a matter of how big you can get your fulltiming RV but how little it takes to really live. Remember, you aren't leaving your house so you can take it all on the road.

We came home because I missed my house and the kids whined for their friends but now that the kids are gone I'm glad we kept her in storage all those years. The two of us are going to fulltime and the bunkhouse has become my office. We just spent two wonderful weeks in her after moving her to Branson, Missouri where we pretty much wear the same clothes all the time, cook in two skillets, and use the same two bath towels, plates, glasses, and coffee cups. Initially I packed it so full it would have belched if it could, but 7 years down the road...and more years in the stick house than I wanted to spend, I've found the less you own, the less you have to own you. Maybe you could teach the boys how to live on less. It's easy to live with more, but living with less is a lesson never forgotten and best learned when you are young.

God bless, and many blessings in your travels.

Art and Christene from Houston
Bertha--2001 37' Cedar Creek 5er
Babe--2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins with Megacab
Wanderchris is offline   Reply With Quote