Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Smile Buying a consignment 5th wheel

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing an RV from PPL motor homes in Houston? They have a huge inventory and the prices are pretty darn good. It's a long way down there from where I live, but it just might be worth the trip to upgrade. Thanks
Sawdust53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I live probably 20 miles from PPL. Their reputation is OK as far as I know. Others here on iRV2 have dealt with them both as buyers and sellers - perhaps they'll see the discussion and chime in.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

PPL has been in business for many years, and I have not heard or read any negative comments about them.

I have read on one of the RVing forums about one problem, some years ago, with a small consignment dealer. Seems that small dealer kept the sellers money from the sale and never delivered the title to the new owner either; their trade-in was already sold and the dealer kept the money from that also. This left the new owner -and the seller, out in the cold while that dealer filed bankruptcy. Never did hear the outcome.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Does anyone know of a reputable consignment dealer on the west coast preferably SoCal?
Scybertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

I bought a Cougar thru them about a year and a half ago. Great experience, friendly and honest. It was a very smooth transaction, and they have a really good service department. No complaints here, in fact I sold a TT thru them also and wow, that was slick. Easy, simple and they did all the work and I mean all of it except getting the trailer there. I live about 200 miles from Houston and I have been going and seeing what they have in person for several years.
Gearitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

Thanks Gearitis. How do you like your Cougar? I've been looking at Montana and Cougar to upgrade from my old Newmar.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

I sold our motorhome through PPL earlier this year. They have a very good system and move a lot of inventory. I did some research on them before consigning my unit and could find very few negative comments about them. I was impressed with their professionalism and was very happy with the entire transaction.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sold a 5er there a couple of years back and the only thing to watch on selling is that any repairs are flat-rated and are a bit high.

They have a lot of inventory and a lot of traffic there. But you still need to really look the RV over. There are water leaks and rot that yo will have to find, so I'd insist that they allow a 3rd party inspection before the sale is final.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Back in 2003, Deb and I went and looked at PPL. Nice folks and a great operation. We selected a 2000 model Alumiscape 30' 5ver. We put our ernest money down and elected to pay the ( I believe 250.00 for them to check all systems) check out fee. The front slide motor was out and they called and told us that. They contacted the owner who, refused to repair it. They gave us our money back including the inspection fee and we went down the road. If you like a unit you see there , pay for them to do the inspection to be sure all systems are good. Like us , If we had not we would have been paying for the slide out repair at the tune of 1400.00.. Its just cheap insurance on a pre owned unit.
eagle1tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust53 View Post
Thanks Gearitis. How do you like your Cougar? I've been looking at Montana and Cougar to upgrade from my old Newmar.
We like it very well. For the DW and I it is plenty and when our 2 daughters meet us it is still not bad. It is solid rig and it tows very well with my 08 6.4l F-250. PPL usually has several with various floor plans. We found an 03 that was literally new. Did a little hageling and made the deal thru PPL. I catch myself going to their website and looking at the floorplans and see what is new.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll give them a look when we decide to upgrade.