Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #1

We are dealing on a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star M-35LKS and need some imput on what kind of problems this unit normally has. I would like to hear of the bad items to help me make this decision. It will be in use about 60 days a year. What needs checked before we make a deal. Thanks for your input and hope many people reply's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #2

We are dealing on a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star M-35LKS and need some imput on what kind of problems this unit normally has. I would like to hear of the bad items to help me make this decision. It will be in use about 60 days a year. What needs checked before we make a deal. Thanks for your input and hope many people reply's.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

The above unit is a 5th wheel that is being purchassed. Jim McElwee
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

Jim,
We have a 1999 Kountry Star and love it. Bought new in 2000 and mostly trouble free. Make sure you have enough truck as they are really heavy. Suggest you weigh it and then get proper truck.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not familiar with that model and I've monitored Newmar product since early 2000. I have an `05 35-LKSA, is that what you meant?

In any case. We love this trailer. I haven't had any problems to speak of. One of my recliners wasn't working right which was fixed promptly. The squirrel cage fan (on my heater)was out of adjustment and rubbing on the heater case and was also fixed promptly. This is my 2nd Newmar 5er and I absolutely would recommend them.

You should go over the trailer and check for any obvious damage. Make sure everything works. If possible see if the dealer will let you hook up electric and water to test the components.

Good luck.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #6

Hi Jim, we have a 2002 35LKSA and just love it. Have not had any problems other then very minor things, (KNOCK ON WOOD). As mentioned earlier they are on the heavy side, so be awair! I'v pulled it over 10,000 miles (+ -) with an F-350 dually diesel and still going strong. Good luck and BE SAFE!
Bob Quinn

36' Kountry Star fver with 2006
Bob-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
I've got an '01 Kountry Star 5er. Structurally it has been great. I have had to do routine maintenance like re-caulking the roof and replacing sun-damaged plastic parts on the roof. The vinyl trim pieces have become completely infested with mold. This is not cleanable, the trim has to be replaced, and it is a big chore. The seals on all three of my slides failed within six weeks of each other, they were 5 years old when it happened.

On the inside I have had a problem with the wall paper. It has not faired well sitting on the storage lot closed up in the summer heat and humidity. Every room is having significant bubbles that are easy to see. We are just living with it.

All-in-all the good outweights the bad. I am in no hurry to get out of my Newmar.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #8

Thanks for your input. It is a 2003 35 LKSA Kountry Star. I have noticed that these units 2003 and older has a lower resale value than other Newmar 5th wheels. Is there a reason for this? jperry29 had a problem with his wall paper, is this a condition that many units have experienced? I live in Florida and we do have hot storage. Can this be pulled with a 2500 Dodge Cummins? Has any one had any success pulling with this truck? Again thanks for your input.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Jim,

You probably want to take a close look at the weights. My 33' was at the absolute maximum limit of my 99' F-250. It was at the maximum of my rear axle weight rating (GAWR) and my gross combined weight rating (GCWR).

Your 35'er is going to be heavier still and there is a good chance that you will exceed either your axle, combined or both ratings.

But don't assume that just moving to a 350/3500 is the answer. Many times the GCWR is the same between 3/4 and 1 ton. What changes is the payload capacity of the truck, not the combined weight rating. My 250 actually had a higher 5th wheel trailer towing capacity than an F-350 of the same model year. I was at the limit with my F-250 but I would have been over the limit with an F-350 by roughly 400 lbs (the exact amount of weight added to the truck to turn it from a 250 to a 350).

These Newmars are nice rigs and built well but in this case (and the case of most other high-end RV's) that translates into a heavy rig.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The problem with any SRW truck when towing a heavy 5th wheel is going to be GVWR. Given the same GCWR, a heavier dually may have marginally less "manufacturer's trailer towing rating" than a SRW truck, but the advantage of the dually is the higher GVWR and rear axle GAWR.

I suspect an F-250 would be far over its GVWR trying to tow the 5th wheel in question.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #11

Hi Jim, I can give you an idea of what your looking at for weight. I weighed my rig about a month ago, now keep in mind I'm living fulltime in it. The is GVWR=16,400lbs my real weight is 14,480lbs. Hope this will help you!
Bobq

36' Kountry Star fver with 2006
Bob-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #12

Jim,

We have a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS. The earlier comments about weight were correct. Ours weighs 15.2k dry; 17.5k ready to travel; both actual scale weights. The GVWR is 20k.

So you definately need a good sized truck to tow it (see signature!). I think the Kountry Star will be a bit lighter - all things equal. As I recall the models ran Kountry Star, Mountain Aire, and Kountry Aire, that being the heaviest.

We researched for a number of years and narrowed our choices to a Newmar or Teton.

We have had the MA since February and are really happy with it - no issues to speak of so far. Only real problem was that the water heater & stove would not work with the slide closed - dealer found a pinched gas line and rerouted it.