Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Buying Experiences/Opinions

I would appreciate any input on your experience with buying a 5th wheel at either Camping World or Ancera in Boerne, Tx. I will be a new RV. Also how were they after the sale? Thanks much!

DJCINTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by DJCINTX View Post
I would appreciate any input on your experience with buying a 5th wheel at either Camping World or Ancera in Boerne, Tx. I will be a new RV. Also how were they after the sale? Thanks much!
No experience with Ancira but Camping World Service sucks. If you make an appointment for service, that's the day you bring it in, not the day they will start working on your unit. We bought an Itasca Meridian from Camping World. It spent almost 6 months in their shop the first year we owned it. I doubt that someone actually worked on it more than a few days of that time. Maybe things have changed from 3 years ago, but I wouldn't count on it.

2014 Entegra Cornerstone 45K, Spartan K3 Chassis,
Cummins ISX 600HP, Allison 4000

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
I had an Airlift air bag system installed by Camping World. The installation was so bad that upon getting home I had the entire system reinstalled correctly. Heat shield was not installed. Compressor was installed under drivers side door and caked up with dirt after first rainstorm. Air bags twisted on axle. I would not trust Camping World with anything, from service to sales. Sadly, they have enough critical mass to remain in business.
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MORryde IS
2014 Ram 3500 DRW, Curt 24K
camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
X3, stay away from any Camping World.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
I was at Ancira in Boerne two weekends ago. Their sales guy seemed, "ok", and let us have a run through their Class A's, but we were not impressed with the class A's we were looking at. They were definitely not "front-line ready". When asking a question about some of the blatant craftsmanship problems with the class a's in the $150k range, the response was "the price point" was too low. So i guess spending $150k gets you poor craftsmanship? The only ones that seemed ready with minimal quality issues, were the class a's made by Newmar.

So, this past weekend we spent Saturday looking at $60k Fifth Wheels, and I didn't notice near as many craftsmanship problems as I did on the $150k class a's.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craftsmanship issues on Class-A's in the $150k range: Yea, the sales guy was telling you the truth. It's true of the industry in general until you really step up in price.

CW has the advantage of lots of locations, but obviously the service is "mostly miss" - at least that's what the feedback is.

I've been to Ancira, didn't buy there, reviews are mixed.

My advice on any purchase - START with "how soon can you get to my unit" question before the sale. Get it in writing. Georgetown basically told me (while signing the paperwork) that they had absolutely no promises around service...

And what they did say they would do still hasn't been done...

If you need every little minor thing fixed for you, you'll find RV ownership to be pretty frustrating...

Last, I don't know what unit you're considering, but check out the manufacturers BBB record. Not the A - F thing, but actually read through consumer complaints and responses. Some manufacturers pretty much won't work with owners directly at all. Some are absolutely great at it and that makes a huge difference...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
The issues I was referring to should be separated into two categories... dealer responsibility and manufacture responsibility.

Dealer: The inattentiveness of this particular dealer to get the unit front line ready was my point for the question about Ancira. The units looked like they had been driven to the lot and placed on the line. There was globs of glue on the floor from the tiles that had been installed. TVs not mounted yet. Not cleaning the sawdust off the floor from the factory. One unit had a counter extension that was broken and dangling. One unit had a lower cabinet door that was laying on the floor. The salesman said it fell off on a test drive and they hadn't fixed it yet! These issues, should be fixed by the dealer BEFORE they try to sell them. What about the issues that I couldn't check for? They are selling $150k units. If I am paying the dealer a premium, I have to get something in return. Start with prepping the vehicles for sale.

Manufacturer: The craftsmanship issues were things like not using molding in the shower corners to prevent water from getting behind the shower insert. The cheap wall paper was literally wrapped around the corner. The carpet over the engine compartment showed cut marks where it had been "pieced" together to conform to the shape of the dog house. The faux cedar linings in the closet were bulging out as they were cut too long and bowed out the cheap staples that were holding them in. I could stick my hand behind the molding on an extended slide wall and reach into the slide extension! (and got a sliver from the wood behind it). Slide marks on the floor. Difference in wood coloration between the cabinet doors (real stained wood) and the cabinet frames (particle board covered with printed paper to look like wood). These are just basic craftsmanship issues, that I am certainly not going to pay $150k for. $60k... maybe...

I get it. The units cost a lot to build and to marry mobility with livability... but they don't cost THAT much to build with THAT level of craftsmanship. You can buy a Ford F53 chasis and engine for $26k, RETAIL paying FULL MSRP and I know I can buy a better built trailer for less than the remaining $120k.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
Unfortunately everything you're saying is true. It's amazing what manufactures get away with and what people will buy. We have had trailers, class A motorhome and now a 5th wheel. Each time we went to a different unit I could not believe what they are charging for some of the units out there, with press board, fake tile, fake wood paper. I noticed it even on new trucks when we purchased the RAM. We were in 1 that had soda or coffee or something spilled all over it. The salesman didn't think anything of it, It's crazy. We looked for over a year for 5th wheels and we're happy with it, it was quite a event to get it. All I can say is that it is not suppose to be that way, don't settle, don't let any sales person persuade you and do your research. This site is great for research. I've never, not been able to get a answer here. Best of luck on you search, consider it an adventure!

2014 Thor A.C.E.
2015 RAM 3500 6.7 I6 srw
2016 Bighorn 3160EL
2015 RAM 3500 6.7L I6 4x4 CC SB SRW
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Bought a TT in 2012 and went back for a fiver this year. Best price and experience with Phil Bertram at United RV Fort Worth. Wildcat 295rsx loaded msrp $62,000 drive out $39,000. Shopped deal against out of state wholesalers etc. and no one could get within $2000.

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags;Andersen Ultimate Alum. 5erhitch w/Curt 4" offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6000# Dexters;CRE3000 w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 RearCam;King Dish Tailgater
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote