Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Buying in Canada

With the strength of the dollar in Canada has anyone purchased a 5th in CA and brought nack to the states? Do you really get more for your money or is it all the in the wash and you to hassel eith customs and the DMV.

jonran5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Years back I purchased my current coach in the USA, and was going to trade in my truck and 5er, in Montana. Getting the 5er across into the USA ; even though it was Canadian made; was no problem , had all the paperwork in hand in 2 days. The Detroit made truck , was another story , you'd have thought I'd applied to import drugs. The rules for motorized were unreal.
Canadian federal and provincial tax rules may be the biggest factor so if you do start a search in Canada you'll have to check each province's rules for when taxes are paid . Here in BC the provincial portion is paid when you license the RV so if your crossing into the USA to register/license it's a non-issue.

I know the export from the USA to Canada rules that were in place when I purchased have changed about two years back , so first I'd think a trip to your local DOT is in order.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
They will just cost more Canidian dollars and then go find a dealer that will work on it
Not like cars they will put you at the end of the repair line
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
This post makes no sense whatsoever. What are you trying to say
2015 3500 Denali DRW
Pushed by 2015 Redwood 36RL Loaded
shane wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
I can't say to RV purchases, but everything thing I purchased on my CC this last summer in Canada came thru in USD at about 70% less than the Canadian price.
If you are thinking new, then check in the US for a price, then find the same (maybe almost the same...) one in Canada and check the Canadian price. If it is about 30% higher than US, you aren't gaining anything. By the way, Canadian RV sales are in the tank--I think all types are way down--if what I hear/read is correct.
Good luck.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
The strength of our dollar can make thins cheaper in Canada.
jonran5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Because no one knew what my 5th was, I got it for less locally. Most companies that sell to Canada know all about the paperwork. make sure you factor in all the costs. Some sell a north american warranty.

What Jacknife was saying is that if you buy our of your area and take it into your local dealer, you will probably be put at the end of the line. After talking to several RV dealers, they *hate* all the paperwork that these companies require to be paid for doing the service and many refuse to do the work. It is not like an automobile dealership.

My rig was out of warranty when I bought it so it wan''t an issue for me.

Don't believe the hype and do your research.
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Check to see if there are import duties to be paid if you bring it back to the states. I know as an international pilot that anything we brought in over $400 US had to be declared and duties paid. May not apply to a vehicle.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
What your doing is IMPORTING either a NEW OR USED vehcle/unit into the USA... and you'll need a bonded warehouse who is used to dealing with vehicles and a broker...

I used to buy business trucks in Canada... I would get a check in CA $ and deliver it to the dealer and take possession of the vehicle.... you have to pay GST at the point of sale... and any province taxes like in BC.... you than need a trip permit to return the unit to the US(your local DMV can provide).... before you purchase you make arrangements with a BROKER to import the vehicle to the US and find a bonded warehouse to store the unit until our govt. handles the paperwork and allows you to take the MSO, (manufactures certificate of origin) and transfer that to a document you can use to register it with your state DMV.... on a $50K dollar truck I could save close to $9000 after jumping through all the hoops and fees.... than I waited for Revenue Canada to refund the GST I'd paid on the vehicle... at any given time it would take 2 weeks to 2 months.... provincial taxes are NOT refundable so I'd head to Edmonton to purchase (Alberta)...

It can function exactly the same way with a used unit/vehicle but your transferring a title and not a MSO

The broker, one I used over and over used to charge me $150 for the documents that I filled out correctly and handed to them... and they entered it into their computer... The bonded agent charged $500 for their warehouse (fenced lot highly secured) and did the documents to change the MSO to a US Document.... and on a vehicle you than need to change the DASH to a US standard DASH... in my case it was between $115-$200 based on the manufacturer.....

ONE LAST NOTE.... if you have some FEDERAL SAFETY LAW that is no complied with in Canada you'll have to have the unit/vehicle modified at your cost to conform to our laws.... like the change in the dash I outlined above...
Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Interesting and very informative, thanks.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Looking at prices of new RV's sold in Canada, there a lot higher than the US. Remember most are built in the US to Canadian standards. So what you gain on the exchange rate you lose on the higher price and the paperwork and taxes bringing it home

On another note: during our trip to Alaska his summer a few people I ran into would buy a good solid used RV in the lower 48. Drove it up to Alaska and sell it. They said it was enough to pay for the trip.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #12
RV sales in Canada are falling like a stone in water while US sales are increasing.

This will make the numbers for used RVs in Canada more appealing.

F350 6.7PS CC -TST TPMS - Honda 3000is
- Carriage Cameo 34SB3 Hensley BD3 & 19k Sidewinder
- Outdoors 270DBHS
-SwayPro1500 -BlueSea VSM422 - 2x50amp Chargers

jtbuilds is online now   Reply With Quote

ada, canada