Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

Buying my first

I m buying my first fifth wheel camper. It is a 1975 Arabian. 25' long. Does anyone know if this thing will have electric brakes. The people I am buying it from said they do not think it does.
spanky63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I would think that it has to. Never heard of a Trailer of any size not having brakes. I would surely check before signing on the line....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #3

Thanks

Yea I tried to find information on this unit but being that it is so old I am having a hard time finding out for sure. The people I am buying it from say they don't think so. I looked on the internet and it is not hard to upgrade if not. But I just don't want to get there to find I can not get this unit home. It is 159 miles from my home. I have to go get the fifth wheel hitch and bring it home to get it installed how could I check without pulling the wheels if it does or not?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky63 View Post
Yea I tried to find information on this unit but being that it is so old I am having a hard time finding out for sure. The people I am buying it from say they don't think so. I looked on the internet and it is not hard to upgrade if not. But I just don't want to get there to find I can not get this unit home. It is 159 miles from my home. I have to go get the fifth wheel hitch and bring it home to get it installed how could I check without pulling the wheels if it does or not?
Hi Spanky. I would think the easiest way would be to look underneath and behind the tires to see if there are drum or discs and a brake line running to each wheel. I know it's simple but hopefully that would work if your able to get around it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Spanky, These brakes are usually controlled by electric magnets and a brake controller in the tow vehicle which supplies electric proportionatly as needed. You should be able to hook up power to a ground and the brake wire and hear the brake magnets move. Google electric RV brakes and see if you can get more details...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #6

While there are a number of ways to check, just look under the trailer at the axles and see if there are wires running to the backing plates. (back of wheels) This will let you know if it is equiped, whether or not they work is another question. good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #7

Does it have a 7 pin round plug or just a 4 pin flag plug? I can not remember back that far but brakes on trailers may not have been the law.

When were the 1st 5th wheels built. 1975 has to be one of the early ones.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

Thanks

I will look for the wires on the back plate of the hubs. I did not think of that and I think that would be the best way to know. I haven't seen the unit yet to know what type of power plug it has.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just look near the tongue at the trailer wiring harness plug that plugs into the tow vehicle. If it is a 4-wire plug, it doesn't have electric brakes. Electric brakes require at least 5 wires, but most of them are 6-wire round plugs on animal trailers or utility trailers, or 7-wire hexagon plugs on RV trailers. (6 wires around the outside of the plug, and the 7th wire in the center of the plug.)

The link below is to a good explanation of the various types of trailer plugs used today:
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Spanky, These brakes are usually controlled by electric magnets and a brake controller in the tow vehicle which supplies electric proportionatly as needed. You should be able to hook up power to a ground and the brake wire and hear the brake magnets move. Google electric RV brakes and see if you can get more details...
You wont hear the magnets move ...they only move if the rig is rolling
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #11

Hi all

I made the final payment on my camper now it is mine. I looked in the camper drawers and found all the original paperwork and the owners manual and yes it does have electric brakes. I have since purchased an electric brake module and now just need to hook it up. That is simple since my truck is already wired for a module. Thank you all for your help.