Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question C02 tire inflation

I would like to know about experience inflating tires from large c02 tanks, say 20lb or bigger. AC power is not always there for my air compressor. I carry 90 lbs in the 5th tires and 80 in the truck tires.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

works fine.....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where to buy the various tank to hose fittings?
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a CO2 tank in the jeep for airing up tires after off-roading. Have used it for Motorhome tires for years as well. Can run air tools in a pinch as well. Works well no problems.

Only fuss is the cost of refilling the tank used to be pretty cheap, now getting more pricy. But the flexibility, portability, speed of airing a tire, etc. are great.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #5

I carry a portable air tank that was purchased from Harbor Freight. The tank is rated for 125 PSI and 11 gallon capacity with an air chuck; hose and air gauge for under $50.

I fill the tank from my home air compressor and use this when I am on the road. Works' will for topping off tires on either the trailer or truck when needed. My truck tires are 70 PSI rear and 60 PSI front; the trailer are at 80 PSI.

Just another thought.

Jim W.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
CO2 is used quite often to re-inflate bicycle tires bacause of the small size and convenience of the 16~20 gram cartridges. It is a lighter gas than Nitrogen, and so the tires do lose pressure faster than using Air or pure Nitrogen. You may want to look into a Nitrogen tank setup as they are used in many applications including racing & is great to fill tires and run an air gun.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

inflator

i bought a Black and Decker inflatorm, $50 from HD,''set the pressure you want it stops automatically, works on AC/DC.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Where to buy the various tank to hose fittings?

Google this:

"Build your own CO2 tank system - high quality & lowest cost"

It's on just about every off road forum known to man.....for sure on the
Jeep Forum (author is "Magic Mtn Dan")

That will take you through the process - from entire system (expensive!) retailers like "Powertank" - to "cost effective" DIY.

For the posters that are saying they purchased an AIR tank from Harbor Freight - *NO* comparison!
And - no you can't use an air tank for CO2..

From a liquid to a gas, CO2 expands 512 to one!
Air is air. No expansion.
An air tank will give you (maybe) *one* flat tire inflate.

The (new) aluminum C02 tanks from Beverage Factory are great, quick shipping to your door.

Refill at any paint gun store, welding supply - or my preference - at one of the home (beer) brewing stores.
The home brew shops are very common - check your yellow pages.

BTW - you can easily check on remainder in the tank by weight.

10-9jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

On edit (to my post above)....

The expansion ratio of CO2 from a liquid to a gas is 553:1

10-9jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

I carry a 10 lb CO2 tank with a fixed 120 psi regulator. I have a curly hose with a tire inflation fitting on it. I bought the whole thing for about $160 at a local welding shop. When my tank goes empty I can trade it in for a full one. One tank fills a ton of 80-110 psi tires!