Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Cadillac of 5th wheel

We don't know. That's what we're asking.

We've explored class A for a while. And are not sure if that's how we will go. Just starting a fifth wheel search and am a little (a lot) overwhelmed by the number of manufacturers, the styles and the prices.

What manufacturers stand out for producing a good full-timer rv? And are there any exorbitant types - i.e. Newell, Prevost, etc...

peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
p.s. - the Redwood RW39FL, front living area, was cool. Any more like that?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Augusta RV - Luxury Full-Time Use 5th Wheel Trailers
These people are making a high end fifth wheel. I looked at a couple, but they are way above my comfort level.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would stay VERY far away from Redwood.
Beautiful, all the bells and whistles, supposedly upscale, but we had 18 months of ownership horror that almost made us stop rv'ing altogether.
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Club
Look at the Heartland Landmark 365. There are several floor plans available and are rated and warranted for full time use.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Totally agree about Redwood. Some friends of ours bought a brand new one and nothing but problems since they had it!
Mr.fixitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
Take a look at Continental Coach by Forks RV. Home of Continental Coach by ForksRV
2012 F-350 CC DRW King Ranch
2014 Landmark Savannah
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Take a look at Augusta RV. They build the Luxe and Ambition high end 5th wheels. Both are rated and warrantied for Full-Timing. Plus they are factory direct so you get a better price, product, and service.
Fulltiming1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Originally Posted by 2007dura View Post
Take a look at Continental Coach by Forks RV. Home of Continental Coach by ForksRV

Looking at fifth wheels that are out of my budget, these are my favorite.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
just looking today at some pics I got on twitter from KZ of the gold series.....some pretty nice units although maybe not quite as upscale as some of these but nice either way.

Durango Gold G380FLF
I really liked that floor plan.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Thanks, all. We've been looking at all your suggestions. This is fun.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
We started researching several years ago. Although we ultimately went with a MH, we're back to checking out the possibility of a towable. Some of what we learned still applies.

1. An RV has been described as a rolling earthquake. That's not too far from the truth. A quality coach will be built to minimize the ill effects of this.

2. A high quality coach will be fairly heavy, and that means that it needs a strong frame. Some manufacturers will use an I-beam frame, while others use box beams. The I-beam is cheaper to build, but those who use the box beams say they are stronger.

3. Since you are looking at coaches with gross weights of 15-25,000 pounds you will need a strong truck. At the low end you can probably get by with an F350-class, while at the high end you will be looking at a modified Class 8. Some people go with the Class 8 trucks and a SmartCar mounted on it. That gives an economical car for a daily driver, and the big truck for hauling the big coach. Others have one person drive the big truck with the big coach and the other person drive another vehicle for the daily driver.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel