Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Camper not tracking right

When I first bought my 5th wheel is was tracking to the driver side alot. Well the service center suggested we put a Correct Track 2 system on it to straighten it out and CT2 guarantees it to fix it. So I pick it up and its whole lots better, go first trip, look at all tire and checked them with a temp gun. All four tires where pretty close to the same as my truck tires. Well now on the second trip out I see this on two of the tires. My wife comes out of the store and says the camper looks like its not tracking right. I wanted to hear your thoughts. Are the tires trying to wear in the old pattern or what do yall think?[/IMG]

Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
You might want to measure between the tires on both sides and compare the numbers. You might want to locate a large trailer alignment service that can help.

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #3

You should not need any aftermarket device to make a trailer track properly. I suspect your axles are out of alignment. Look in the phone book for a truck and trailer alignment shop. Meanwhile, try this website: Tandem axle alignment That is the same method Dexter axle had on their website, but it has been removed/relocated for some reason.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #4

Find a good big truck trailer & alignment shop and get the axles checked, you should not need any after market device to make any trailer track correctly..
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #5

I just read the correct track 2 installation pdf. It explains the same tape measure/plumb bob method Dexter axle recommends.
Upon further investigation I discovered the correct track 2 also raises the trailer 2". The axle adjustment feature is innovative.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
IC2

On a correctly built trailer of any sort, it is difficult to see it dog leg down the road from manufacturing misalignment. The axles are held in place by a center bolt to a welded in place axle bracket What isn't difficult is to bend or break something ranging from bent axles and/or spindles, broken or loose U-bolts or hangers ripped loose from the frame. A couple frame manufacturers have had an occasional problem with ripped out spring eye end hangers. While it's fairly easy to correct, it isn't always inexpensive.

One more item to look at - spindle/hub bearings

The first thing I would do is to crawl under and determine if there is any visible mechanical failure - then off to the alignment shop. They then will be either able to re-bend the axle or replace it. Replacing it if a Dexter is relatively inexpensive and fairly quickly done. I have to assume that any other brands are about the same.

And that 5er in my AVATAR - I replaced both axles in about 4 hours working time (done for other reasons)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would call the alignment place and ask if you should replace the tires before it's aligned.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

After breaking springs and wearing tires on my previous 5th wheel I decided to do the proper measurement from the pin and found thatthe rear tire wear was caused by the front axle being out of alignment. The trailer had not been build right and the front axle was off by 5/8". I do beleive if anyone finds the spring attachments out of alignment its best to use the Kit. I was impressed by the design and for someone without a welding machine its well worth it to align the springs on the frame. Also I was able to bend the rear shackles to suit the wheel spacing but it was to much to make up for the 5/8" required at the end. I did the repairs while raising the trailer by 2" like the Kit does but only needed to realign on side of the front axle becausae the rrear axle tracked perfectly.
Transport trailers have a solid attached axle and the second on has a one side alignment adjusting tie rod.
So I beleive with the money we spend on our units these adjusters should be a standard equipment, both to save tires and springs. At over $300 per tires its well worth the effort to try to standerdize the system. Might not need it on both axle but at least like Transport trailers have one on one axle.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
thank all,my tires are new and im tring to take care of them. When I bought the camper it was tailing awlful. After putting the CT system on it it seemed to be ok. Now on the 2nd trip its fussing the right front tire on the outside and the left rear tire on the inside. One of my buddys said that the tires maybe trying to wear like they were when it was way out of alignment.
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

If you want a really good alignment, don't buy new tires first. A good alignment tech will look at the old tire wear pattern to help determine what the vehicle needs to fix it. Put on new tires, and all he has to go by is what you say or what he can measure. The tire wear pattern will tell him everything he needs to know. Now that said, the tire wear pattern will probably continue, even after alignment, but it will track/drive better. Buy the new tires after the alignment is done if you want.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
If you want a really good alignment, don't buy new tires first. A good alignment tech will look at the old tire wear pattern to help determine what the vehicle needs to fix it. Put on new tires, and all he has to go by is what you say or what he can measure. The tire wear pattern will tell him everything he needs to know. Now that said, the tire wear pattern will probably continue, even after alignment, but it will track/drive better. Buy the new tires after the alignment is done if you want.
Humm, every time I've had a vehicle aligned, they recommended I put on new tires first if I wanted the best alignment.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
IC2

New tires/old tires - not going to make a bit of difference to the tape measure method of home alignment of your TT/5er or even the pro electronic aligners. What will make a difference is the tire diameter or different brands on the same axle as well as suspension hard parts.

On your daily driver, the caster and camber are set in degrees, the toe in inches (or mm).

Caster is the number of degrees the spindle support leans forward or back, camber is how many degrees the tire tops lean in or out. Toe in/out is the measured distance between tire centers at the horizontal centerline. You get shops that brag on about adjusting thrust angle/4 wheel alignment - this is baloney unless you have adjustable(seldom) and usually independent rear suspension or have been in an accident and need some chassis work