Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #57

Nothing ever stolen in 13 years. Stay mostly in Military and SKP parks. That being said I do lock things like my portable satillite dish pathway x2 and expensive E bikes. Otherwise No issues.
yasbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #58

My husband locks our EMS tight. He also locks most everything else too... Retired police officer and still thinks about crime.
tvsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #59

Old saying: Locks keep honest people honest. There are desperate situations in all walks of life. Happy Camping, and Happy Trails!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #60

Yes - recently

Wife and I haven't had a problem but last week, at St Augustine FL KOA, daughter-in-law's $500 bike was stolen. And we were sitting within 20 ft around a campfire when it was taken. Police report filed but I guess it would be a miracle if it were recovered.

My wife's and my old junky wal-mart bikes sat out for several days and were not bothered.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have only been RVing for the past 3 yrs, mainly weekends, but a few week or two long trips here and there. So far, thankfully no issues. I leave the basement doors unlocked, except for the one with my tool box. I recently got a Weber Q grill and have to admit I've been a little concerned about leaving it out at night. I do set it under the kitchen slide so its not out in the open.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #62

Had all the gas siphoned from our Jeep in Albany, OR this Summer. Now have a locking gas cap. Nothing else over 20 years has been stolen.
goldenhawk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #63

I almost lost one of two collapsible orange marker cones I had out at a festival campground a couple of weeks ago, I found it leaning behind a tree about 150 feet away. My guess is some kids were playing with it. Otherwise nothing ever stolen at a campground, at least nothing that I can remember.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #64

Basement locks

After 7 years of RV travel with stays in interstate rest areas, Walmart parking lots, many RV parks and a few boon docking areas we have never had anything stolen. While reading an article in the Escapees RV club magazine I learned that MOST RV basement compartments and most pickup camper tops use the same CH751 key. Not exactly safe is it? Do a Google Search for ch751 and you can find a link to a company that makes a tubular key and lock to replace the CH751 locks.
It is perhaps not really that important, but for just a little money your stuff is more safe. We also switched to led lights in the RV. Why waste battery power and replace bulbs as often?
BobK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #65

Texas Boomers Club
Been camping since 1990 with trailers and never had a theft. Fulltime for over ten years and I never lock my underbelly-I would rather they take what they want than to risk the damage to the doors when they pry them open. NEVER LOST ONE THING!!!
Old 12-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #66

Had a cooler stolen once. While eating chow in the RV we heard a loud explosion from the other side of the campground. Guess they got past the lock. P.S. I would have added an emoji but I do not see them here.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #67

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After pretty close to 50 years of rving, We've experienced theft twice that I can recall. 1rst time out in a state park near Mt. St.Helens or maybe a NF campground, we left a lawn chair with a rope attached to it at the entrance of our campsite to indicate the site was occupied, as we were out and about taking in the sites.This is what a ranger told us to do.( At that time there were no posts where you put paper work to show the spot was taken)When we returned to our site, rope and chair gone and someone parking in our paid for site.Being much younger then,( mid twenties) I confronted the people parking in our spot and they denied seeing any rope or chair and refused to move.????? Ranger was no help..2nd time was 2 years ago at Death Valley National Park While out site seeing with the toad, someone helped themselves to the firewood I had stored under the rig while camped at Furnace Creek.🤔🤔🤔🤔.
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #68

I've been camping most of my life (I'm 72 yo) and camping in a TT for the last 12 years. I only had one thing taken in that time. Tent camping and a cute citronella candle disappeared from my picnic table, I think some kids did it. Saying that, lately I just don't trust there isn't someone lately who would'nt just take something they want. The world has changed in the last years. I have an EMS and have a padlock to lock the power stand. The last place I camped, the box wouldn't close right. I'm going to get a piece of chain so I can still lock it down. I try to secure anything I don't want to lose.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Never in almost 45 yrs of camping have I had anything stolen though I do lock the bikes up if I have them and recently have picked up a Surge Suppressor Hasp Lock just because it would be more aggravating if it was stolen with the loss of power than the $100 or so for a new one. Though the campground could be the driving factor, it really if the right(wrong type) of person is in the campground you're in at the time and if it's something they want bad enough.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #70
Rcs

I lived in Houston for 35 yrs. I lock everything when ever in leave. Out of site out of mind. I would not worry about your basement doors. Most thieves will walk through your site and try the doors. If they open they take what’s in them. If locked not wanting to call attention to themselves they just go on. I have a part English Sheepdog who is very protective of his flock, us and the coach. If his barking doesn’t stop the intruder our 85 Lb Golden will knock them down and waterboard them by licking. If I hear a bump in the night or Bennie does I turn on the docking lights and check the cameras. I have an alarm on the coach which will wake up the dead with a touch of the key or the touch on the door. If all else fails Mr Glock travels with us on most occasions. I have not had any problems with thief.
These days it’s foolish not to be diligent and lock up.
Rcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground