Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Dexter recommends any axle equiped with never lube bearings be inspected annually or at 12,000 mile intervals. Whichever comes first.

Here's a link to the "Operation Maintenance Service Manual":
http://www.towmaster.com/pdf_manuals...00lb_axles.pdf

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, this is far from the first report of a CW service customer not being satisfied with the work performed. I can't comment on the charges nor on any maintenance issues but I would have felt the same as you if my rig had been damaged... the service manager didn't acknowledge me or apologize... and I had to stay in some tent for 24 days!

Put it all behind you and log it as a lesson learned.

Best of Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
When I stopped at Freigtliner in Gaffney SC for annual service we could not get hot water to the tap, plenty in the hot water heater! I called Spartanburg SC CW ...they agreed to look at our coach first thing in the morning..showed us where the elec was. 8am next morning tech working on our coach..issue was the mixing valve...they did not have one. Asked us our route south...they looked at the inventory at each CW along the way...first available Jacksonville FL. Then agreed to work on our coach next morning...of we went. Jacksonville closed at 6pm we arrived 6:15 pm, the service writer had waited for us to arrive, parked our coach, plugged our elec in and said good night! Next morning we were taking a HOT shower! I know what I have read on line about CW service...but I was impressed with their professionalism and their desire to help us. Pricing of parts though high, we needed the fix now. If I was home I would have ordered on on line.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

It's not the company it's the people they employ. We did a lousy job of raising this latest generation of workers. They want less duties and responsibilities, more time off, more money, and they are disrespectful. Did I leave anything out? Lousy service is the new normal.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
24 days in a tent? Really? Thats almost laughable. I'd have been gone after 3 days, but not before having a little face parade with the service manager. 24 days is almost a reality TV season. 24 days....man oh man
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfan View Post
Our 5th wheel was towed to Campers World New Years Eve with a seized bearing. We got it back 24 days later! We had to stay in a tent for 24 days! New axle needed (according to them) $2,100! The assistant service manager had to get involved when I picked it up because they damaged my RV by jack knifing! He made out the report and didn't apologize, or even acknowledge me!! I would stay away! Camping World prices are about 2 cents under highway robbery. There isn't anything in the Campers World Store that can't be bought at Amazon or other places at 30 to 40% cheaper. One example small cylinder of propane $9.49!
This is a good place to blow off steam, but if you're looking for some other kind of satisfaction I recommend that you take advantage of Camping World's very public website that's there for that purpose.

Complaints such as yours that are posted in their forum at this address are neither edited nor removed, generally get immediate response from the higher-ups, and from what I've seen every effort is made to come to a fair resolution.

Note:

Except as an occasional participant in their forums, I have no stake/interest whatsoever in Camping World.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #21

Thank you for your comments. A couple clarifications. We were towed into the Kissimmee CW New Years Eve. Due to a service persons incompetence the axle ( Al-ko) was not ordered until Jan 9. I called him to get a status on Jan 16 and he replied " what do you want me to call them every 5 minutes" I got there service manager involved that day and he found an axle in FL. A week later it was complete. My comments about pricing in there store was based on items I had purchased elsewhere Amazon Walmart et. al. And if there is anyone out there buying 1# bottle of propane for $9.59 you can buy 2 for $8 next door at Walmart. As for the 24 days in a tent my wife and I were headed to South Fl to volunteer in a State Park so we made a commitment and kept it....in a tent! As far as a motel yes there are motels in almost every area of the planet and we could have added another $2400. To this nightmare and stayed in one.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
I would have been in their office Monday, Jan. 4 to follow up on dropping the rig off on New Year's Eve. Waiting until the 9th makes it sound like you weren't in any rush. Notice I said in their office, I would have inspected the RV after it had been towed by a third party and seen the damage from the jackknife maneuver. At the comment, "Do you want me to call every 5 minutes?" I would have responded with a very loud, "YES! if that's what it takes!" I would also have followed up with a call to the CW national offices to let them know I wasn't happy with their attitude. Posting a complaint here isn't as effective as a call to headquarters of a business, one that is trying to improve it seems to me.
About the prices in their store, if you know it's available cheaper next door, I'd let them know and go next door.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #23

I'm just a little bit lost by your rant. You had to stay in a tent...you mean they would not pay for you to stay in a hotel....really!!! I'm sure BigO tire or the local repair shop would have paid for your hotel stay during repairs...ok, a bit of sarcasm.
If a CW employee jackknifed your rig I and took a report there should be no problem with the repair. If the tow company did the damage you should take appropriate action against the tow company, they probably have insurance.
In your last point, many things in brick-and-morter stores are more expensive than on line, as on-line still maintains a competative advantage of reduced overhead. But, CW maintains an inventory of what you need when you need it. No delay for shipping, and you can touch and feel an item to see if it meets your needs before purchase.
There have been many threads on the worthlessness of extended warranties. It would appear that in your situation an investment in an extended warranty would have been worthwhile.
I simpathize with your repair problem, but in this case I cannot attribute blame to CW. As I mentioned in previous threads, the Camping World in Wilsonville/Portland way beyond anything required to help me when I needed service.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfan View Post
Thank you for your comments. A couple clarifications. We were towed into the Kissimmee CW
Uh, oh! I was hoping you weren't talking about Kissimmee ...

Quote:
Due to a service persons incompetence the axle ( Al-ko) was not ordered until Jan 9. I called him to get a status on Jan 16 and he replied " what do you want me to call them every 5 minutes"
We're still "waiting for the parts to arrive" before we deliver our coach to them for repairs. I wonder if we dealt with the same service rep. It has only been 4 weeks since we went in for the service write-up, but our coach was not disabled so we did not have to leave it.

Quote:
I got there (sic) service manager involved that day and he found an axle in FL. A week later it was complete.
Yep. Another call tomorrow ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #25

We stayed in Kissimmee across the road at the RV park and I wanted some extras put on and they would not send a guy over to check it out to see if it could be done 5 min look at it they wanted me to bring it in and since I was setup and with my family I thought forget them,

At the Springfield Mo one I had them install my fifth wheel hitch. My first fifth wheel so I was ignorant on all the hitch stuff so I thought I would have them do it and make sure it was right. $600 to just bolt it down to the bed of my truck. My trucks has a hauler bed and they said they could just you bolts and fasten to it so they drilled 4 holes and bolt it down now the bed is real thick and they broke several bits but boy after all said and down and I pick it up and that's all they had to do for that price I learn a quick lesson.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by life2short View Post
We stayed in Kissimmee across the road at the RV park and I wanted some extras put on and they would not send a guy over to check it out to see if it could be done 5 min look at it they wanted me to bring it in and since I was setup and with my family I thought forget them,

I thought you were in a tent and the RV was already there...or was this "we don't do house calls just because you don't want to bring it in" event a different time?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I thought you were in a tent and the RV was already there...or was this "we don't do house calls just because you don't want to bring it in" event a different time?
That was a different person I just wanted them to see if they could do the work instead of hauling it across the road to be told yes or no then having to go back and set it up then take it over there again to have the work done. As a business owner I do think the RV industry needs to be introduced to customer service, from most campgrounds to service, its not like we are dropping little dollars.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
There business model doesn't do on site service... that's it...

and they feel it's either not profitable or not necessary based on the amount of business they get...

Does your doctor come to your house (anymore) ?

Tags
disabled