Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Camping World ripoff!

Our 5th wheel was towed to Campers World New Years Eve with a seized bearing. We got it back 24 days later! We had to stay in a tent for 24 days! New axle needed (according to them) $2,100! The assistant service manager had to get involved when I picked it up because they damaged my RV by jack knifing! He made out the report and didn't apologize, or even acknowledge me!! I would stay away! Camping World prices are about 2 cents under highway robbery. There isn't anything in the Campers World Store that can't be bought at Amazon or other places at 30 to 40% cheaper. One example small cylinder of propane $9.49!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is a shame that Camping World made you stay in a tent.
And I thought, most CW were built near available Motels.

Was the delay getting the new axle CW fault or the axle maker?
How many days from time ordered to CW receiving it?

And that you had a seized bearing, after you had done the yearly service to your bearings. You have been doing that, Right?

If the assistant service manager was driving and done the damage. He should have apologized. What tow vehicle was used for the jack knifing? Theirs or yours?

But as for that CW $9.49 cylinder of propane. Amazon sells it for $10.96 plus $4.79 shipping. 30 to 40% cheaper, NOT

Don't forget to do the yearly maintenance. You can either choose to pay now or more later.

As for the ripoff. Have you priced a axle or labor from another shop?
I wasn't able to find any axle for sale on Amazon.

Is your 5th wheel a single or double axle?
If double the bad one could have been tied up on one side and used parked outside until the new axle arrived.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

Well, in all fairness, that cylinder is less than $3 at Lowe's or Walmart. All fuels (like butane as well) are pricey online for some reason - could be the shipping requirements.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
While I have never taken an RV to Camping World for service, I don't think they would be on my short list of service providers. Their pricing and membership BS is rediculous. I try not to buy anything in their stores unless I don't have time to wait. I can always find anything they have on-line delivered to the door with no sales tax for less money. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have gone to CW for routine service and an inverter install. I doubt I'll go to them again but I will give you some facts.

An oil change (Gasser) was 99 bucks, and they put in regular dino oil when I specified SYNTHETIC.

At the local Workhorse authorized service center the oil change (Full Synth) was 63. Alas, that place is history.

The inverter install they did a fairly good job, HOWEVER they re-arrainged the breakers a bit in the main panel, The result was both A/C's on the same leg. (NOT a good plan) I have the skills to fix that. (And did). This is a minor complaint and they did give me credit for the wrong oil.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club

keithfan, Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing! Triker56 sort of gave you a spanking, but he is dead on with his comments. RVs require much preventative maintenance and a seized bearing points to a lack of it.
The manager's apparent lack of emotion is perhaps trained, if he had admitted sorrow or apology it could have been interpreted as guilt or responsibility. He did take a report.
Prices in the stores are generally full retail, but they are a specialty shop after all. With a Good Sam discount and watching for sale items, I've gotten some pretty good deals online when free shipping is offered. RV parts are no different than Marine parts, they cost more bought in dedicated stores. I was looking for a float switch for a sump pump, so I went to a Marina near my Sticks and Bricks. $35 for a the exact same switch I drove to Walmart to purchase for $6.

Rants like yours vent your frustration but a 'ripoff'? You did get it fixed, didn't you? Price the same job at another shop willing to work on your 5th wheeler before judging.

And I do welcome you to the forum.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer axle-6,000# $143.57 CW must have either a huge markup %, or outrageous labor rates.
Just in case you wish to contact Marcus Lemonis, CEO of CW,GS. his email address is:
mlemonis@campingworldrv.com His office also maintains an ongoing thread at RV.COM forums.
Your experience should not go quietly into the night.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Seems from other threads some Camping Worlds are good and some are not so where is this one located?
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ray,
it's www.rv.net for CW's forum and he has a section to ask questions and responds to them IIRC..

I guess I have to have a little more info to vote on the flavor of a ripoff or not...

We all have the right to go elsewhere to vote with our dollars,
and with the internet we can search 5 other places in 15 seconds to price them...

You never know what a store locations rent or taxes or other overhead is and
IMHO, if I'm going to buy something from a store, I WANT them to make a LITTLE profit so they'll be in business to take care of me if I need to come back...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

That is precisely why I buy my needs at the local rv dealer instead of the wholesale distributer in the city. I could buy it for less, but I want my local dealer to stay in business so he will be there when I need him, plus it is convenient and they are nice people. I like to think my tax money is staying in town to help my community stay solvent, too.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfan View Post
Our 5th wheel was towed to Campers World New Years Eve with a seized bearing. We got it back 24 days later! We had to stay in a tent for 24 days! New axle needed (according to them) $2,100! The assistant service manager had to get involved when I picked it up because they damaged my RV by jack knifing! He made out the report and didn't apologize, or even acknowledge me!! I would stay away! Camping World prices are about 2 cents under highway robbery. There isn't anything in the Campers World Store that can't be bought at Amazon or other places at 30 to 40% cheaper. One example small cylinder of propane $9.49!
Hello and welcome to iRV2. Sorry to hear of your poor experience with CW, and I hope all is repaired to your satisfaction and you are back on the road.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping world does not impress me a bit. I have decided NOT to renew membership. The whole service dept in Longmont, Co. is inept, and then if you want your RV back in less than 6 months, they don't return calls and/or flat out lie about parts they forgot to order. I won't ever go back there for any reason.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

What kind of maintenance is required on "never lube bearings"?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
What kind of maintenance is required on "never lube bearings"?
If these are the bearings installed on Dexter axles, they have a 5 year, 100,000 warranty. I'd think you should have had this repair free.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled