Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Can I add rear hitch to Keystone Alpine?

Has anyone added a rear bumper and/or hitch to a Keystone Alpine? We would like to have small rack to carry bicycles or perhaps a small trailer that would hold a medium size scooter & 2 bicycles.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
IC2

Nice 5er!!
Probably, but I would for sure contact Keystone or let your dealer contact them.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

I added 2in receivers on both our 5er. It needs to be solid to the rear frame. Etrailer has an available unit for motohomes that may be good for a trailer. Never go lighter then 2in if you value what will be on the hitch.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

If that Alpine is built the same as my Montana, then yes. I use a Curt bolt on 2" receiver hitch on my 5'ers rear bumper, and have carried 2 bicycles for over 8,000 miles and all the welds look good. This particular bumber is welded really well to the frame. The Curt hitch can support 500 lbs. I wouldn't put more than 300 lbs back there.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

Idaho Tote makes a nice option.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Just to clarify, the Alpine does not have a back bumper.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

Well that aint right :-)>
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2togoNebrask View Post
Just to clarify, the Alpine does not have a back bumper.
Your only alternative is to have a welding shop connect to the frame under the trailer. Whatever they end up doing the final support structure just before the receiver should be reinforced as close to that receiver as possible from the trailer frame. Although most people will say that the bikes or whatever you place on the rack is light the continual flexing while traveling is not something you want.

Dick
Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #9

I have a number of bicycle racks that fit just about any vehicle we own. I just put my high dollar racing bicycles inside my trailer while in transport. They'll also fit in my pickup bed in front of the fifth wheel hitch.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

I added one to a Keystone 25 RL. I built some mounts to bolt up to the I-beams and extend below the bumper. 2 inch heavy wall square for cross bar with flanges to bolt in so the whole thing can be removed. Pulled trailer and 2 full size atvs with it.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

Hi Dasmoeterhead, question. What year/model Montana do you have? I just bought a used 2005 2955RL and I want to add a hitch to it, but mine has no exposed bumper, and I'd rather not start tearing out the rear end until I have a better idea of what I'm doing and what to expect. What receiver hitch did you add to yours, and how? Any tips/gotchas I should look for?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Something to consider:
Quote:
In the new issue of Trailer Life, in the RV RESOLUTIONS section (the "hey help me" part of the magazine) there is a request from a Keystone owner (Avalanche) asking TL to intervene on his behalf because of a denial by Keystone to repair a crack in the forward section of his fifth wheel FILON skin. Apparently the installation of a "trailer hitch" on the back of his fifth wheel came up and caused Keystone to deny the repairs. The owner stated that the hitch had "never held anything but a bicycle rack and one bike" and he couldn't understand how that could cause a crack in the side wall 25' away...

After the responses (Keystone did repair his trailer) TL editors made the following note:

"Before mounting a bike rack on your RV, make sure the manufacturer has approved doing so for your model. Many RVs, particularly lightweight trailers, are not designed to handle the additional weight and stress of transporting bicycles. Trailer Life has received a number of letters from readers who have installed bike racks, only to find out later that the owner's manual forbids it and the manufacturer may not honor the terms of the warranty because of it."