Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Can't see the forest for the trees

Hello all. I'm new to the world of RV'ing and have questions that I know have been asked before but will ask them anyways.
Which is the best 5th wheel for year round living? My goal is in 5 years time to retire and take the following 10 years travelling around North America spending most of my time on the Western side of the continent (if will be myself, the misses and one dog). The 5th wheel will probably be in the 38ft range as to move from a house to a 5th wheel is a big change.
Which vehicle is the best to tow such a rig (I'm leaning towards the Chevy 2500or 3500 as I was raised a Chevy person) and should I be getting a dually?
Thanks in advance for your time and for those that have answered these questions several times in the past, thanks for your patience.

Ted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
I forgot to say that I have absolutely no mechanical ability and fix things only with a hammer so will be buying new.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. As far as the tow vehicle, IMO it deepends on the pin weight of the 5er you're going to be towing. I'm sure others may have opinions too. As far as the 5er, a lot recommend you choose the floor plan that works for you and DW first. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Hi Ted

As full-timers who are motorhome owners, we are seriously considering switching to a 5th wheel now that our travel style has slowed down. My investigation of 5th wheels shows if you want full-time durability and a reasonably high cargo carrying capacity (we feel we need at least 3,000 lbs - 4,000 lbs would be nice), the 5th wheels you will be looking at will require at least 3500 dually. I know there are probably people full-timing in lighter rigs, but I doubt if the CCC is there.

I am also a devoted Chevy person. Unfortunately, 3500 is as big as Chevy makes. Some full-timing 5th wheels will require something like a Ford F450, F550 or even a medium duty truck.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Good Evening,

Lots of others will start to chime in; and your questions are generic so expect a variety of answers.

I might suggest you start with your budget and that means determining what you can afford that leaves you enough wiggle room for extras, upgrades and repairs.

For 150K+ you can have a look at coaches like New Horizons or Continental Coach among a couple of others. Expect that you would need a medium or heavy duty truck to tote a fifthwheel around in their category. They are custom built, heavy duty and have a price tag to go along with it.

For 80-150K you can look at DRV, Heartlands Landmark and some others like Lifestyle and Redwood. For the heavy coaches at this price point plan to look for a dually by your favoured manufacturer because they will have bigger pin weights.

Under 80K you run the full gammet of coaches that are all built very similar, while perhaps not advertised as full-time units many members do use them year round.

If your list doesn't include medium or heavy duty trucks then buy a 1 ton, single or dual rear wheels. It will be much more capable for only a nominal cost increase.

Finally I will end by saying that there are some now defunct manufacturers that built quality units some of which can be had at a fraction of the cost of what they were new. My list is partial but they would include; Newmar, Teton and Carriage.

Let us know what other questions you may have and good luck shopping!
Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
Thank-you for your replies, I thought afterwards that I should have let people know that my budget was between $150k-$200k for everything.
I was speaking with someone yesterday and he suggested I research HDR RV Haulers for a large 5th that when loaded could be 17,00 lbs. Do many of you use these kind of pullers?