Originally Posted by Benbear
So, I've started removing the oxidation using Poli glow product. The Poly prep would not work on my stains. So I've now using Poli Ox and elbow grease. It's a slow process as I've gone over a a small area three or four times to get the oxidation out. May move to the 3M pads or wet sanding. Not sure if it would be any faster and want to exercise patience as to limit gel jcoat removal.
The sad thing is it's only the top 2 to three feet of the cap that has the problem. Everything on the lower two- thirds...roughly speaking...is in good shape and has great water beading when I washed the cap. I used marine polish spring and fall and it appears to be holding up on the rest of the 5er. I still believe this cap fading is a manufacturing issue. The older caps were painted and finished to a higher standard...and hopefully the new ones are also.
Want to try Poli Glow before I look at painting the cap.
in any event, back to the job. I'll keep posting progress on this thread.
So here's an update. On a scale of 1 to 10 for "happy camper" I'll take a 12.....TODAY. The true success will be what it looks like 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yr from now.
That been said, my biggest concern was getting a uniform result based on all the scrubbing, wet sanding and different degrees of oxidization that was on the upper cap. I could not believe the results. The embedded shadow is gone. Some of the other variances in the grey colour tones on the treated area were not visible or very difficult to find.
You will notice the second/right photo has a clear line between the upper...Poli Glow finish and the existing finish. I'm probably going to leave the bottom for another season..just polish it. It will allow me to compare weathering and the success of Poli Glow. I may also do a small section on either side and the rear cap for testing purposes.
If this product works, it will reduce my annual exterior maintenance by 50% and maintain a "like new appearance". Crossing my fingers!