Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #15

So, I've started removing the oxidation using Poli glow product. The Poly prep would not work on my stains. So I've now using Poli Ox and elbow grease. It's a slow process as I've gone over a a small area three or four times to get the oxidation out. May move to the 3M pads or wet sanding. Not sure if it would be any faster and want to exercise patience as to limit gel coat removal.

The sad thing is it's only the top 2 to three feet of the cap that has the problem. Everything on the lower two- thirds...roughly speaking...is in good shape and has great water beading when I washed the cap. I used marine polish spring and fall and it appears to be holding up on the rest of the 5er. I still believe this cap fading is a manufacturing issue. The older caps were painted and finished to a higher standard...and hopefully the new ones are also.

Want to try Poli Glow before I look at painting the cap.

in any event, back to the job. I'll keep posting progress on this thread.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbear View Post
So, I've started removing the oxidation using Poli glow product. The Poly prep would not work on my stains. So I've now using Poli Ox and elbow grease. It's a slow process as I've gone over a a small area three or four times to get the oxidation out. May move to the 3M pads or wet sanding. Not sure if it would be any faster and want to exercise patience as to limit gel jcoat removal.

The sad thing is it's only the top 2 to three feet of the cap that has the problem. Everything on the lower two- thirds...roughly speaking...is in good shape and has great water beading when I washed the cap. I used marine polish spring and fall and it appears to be holding up on the rest of the 5er. I still believe this cap fading is a manufacturing issue. The older caps were painted and finished to a higher standard...and hopefully the new ones are also.

Want to try Poli Glow before I look at painting the cap.

in any event, back to the job. I'll keep posting progress on this thread.

So here's an update. On a scale of 1 to 10 for "happy camper" I'll take a 12.....TODAY. The true success will be what it looks like 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yr from now.

That been said, my biggest concern was getting a uniform result based on all the scrubbing, wet sanding and different degrees of oxidization that was on the upper cap. I could not believe the results. The embedded shadow is gone. Some of the other variances in the grey colour tones on the treated area were not visible or very difficult to find.

You will notice the second/right photo has a clear line between the upper...Poli Glow finish and the existing finish. I'm probably going to leave the bottom for another season..just polish it. It will allow me to compare weathering and the success of Poli Glow. I may also do a small section on either side and the rear cap for testing purposes.

If this product works, it will reduce my annual exterior maintenance by 50% and maintain a "like new appearance". Crossing my fingers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-15 15.25.13.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	128469   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	128488  

Old 06-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Tried the Gel Gloss Wash n Wax

Due to a suggestion on this thread, I tried the Gel Gloss Wash n Wax on our faded cap. It was some good elbow grease, but the product did make a significant improvement overall. There is one stubborn point of oxidation that still shows but I'm overall happy with it. I found out that by applying one coat and then buffing didn't work. I would apply a very liberal amount over and over again to a certain area and then buff it out. I would have to do that several times to show a pretty good result. Hope that helps.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote