Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Cap fading 5 wheel...Poliglow products?

My front cap requires attention due to oxidation and fading.

Has anyone used the Poliglow products to deal with cap fading? The product is widely used in the marine industry and orginates out of Florida.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #2

I used it on a boat, once. It looked really nice and a few years later it started peeling off like sunburned skin. I would find another product, recognizing that I used it on a boat not an RV.
Snowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

Polyglow works nice on boat fiberglass but you need to prep it correctly first and continue applications as directed. If you let Polyglow age on the fiberglass it looks horrible. It can still be removed but wanted to share experience.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can shine it up for a while, but it doesn't solve the long term issue. Consider a color sand and a UV-resistance clear coat (paint shop).
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:43 AM   #5

We have the same problem with our 2013 27-5L and it is a well known problem with a lot of the 2013 and 2014 models. I can tell you Northwood will not be of any help, they just tell you to buff and wax it. Over on the Northwood Owner's website Home - Northwood RV Owners Association Forum there's a lot of discussion on the faded front cap problem and the best option so far has been to get the cap painted at your cost. I got an estimate on mine at $1200 and the place said it will not fade again when they finish. We still aren't sure what we will do but the cap on ours is getting bad.
Bill & Gloria
Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lowest cost I've seen was $400 for wet sand and clear coat.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

It sounded Ike you were discussing normal oxidation over time. If you're talking about the really bad fading due to a problem with no UV inhibitors in the paint Jayco had with many 2013 and 2014 models then that is.comlletly different. Poly glow isn't going to help that. I recently had my cap repainted because I had one of those defective painted caps.

Just for reference I attached a pic of the new paint which is the same color as the sides not the original brown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464134592903.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	128115  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

I bought into the Poliglow ad buildup--never again. Too difficult to use, and even when following directions to the letter, not much success. And very expensive to boot...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try a product called Gel Gloss. It's both a cleaner and a wax...I swear by it. Their "Heavy Duty" formula has a added UV protector.

A few year back a friend had a 99' Aerolite trailer that I would say was never ever cleaned / washed in 10 - 15 years. Took two of us about an hour to do just the back. This trailer was bad , afterwards it took off 90% of the oxidation and came in with a nice shine. Even the decals came back to life.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Is this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Gel-Gloss-RV-W...ords=gel+gloss
Snowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboat View Post
That stuff will never take away the continuous oxidation process from a poorly gel coated RV cap.
You can't wash N wax at the same time. Only way to try and restore an oxidized gel coated front cap is to use an elec RO polisher and a 3 step process. You need to 1st remove the oxidation with a compound specifically designed to cut into the oxidation and remove it. Like Presta Gel Coat Compound.
Then you need a polish that's designed for an RO polisher that will bring the shine back. Like Finesse-it 2 Finishing Material.
Then lastly you need a good Marine UV wax like Collinite #845 for the last step.
Problem is when the gel coat is too far gone or is poorly done all the above won't help.
Painted front caps are not Gel Coated front caps. They're two separate processes. If you have a painted front cap that's fading then that's a different story.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
No, that is just Gel Gloss "car wash" You want Gel Gloss here is a link Gel Gloss (Walmart) Or Amazon here is the link Amazon 64oz Gel Gloss Amazon Usually it runs about $30 or $35 a 1/2 gallon. Once clean, the 1/2 gallon jug lasts me 5 years. ( on a 26' trailer) The Walmart around me don't sell it, 10 years ago they did.

** I just did the front cap of my trailer today, in preparation of our Alaska trip. With a good "coat" of wax, all the bugs will; mostly wash off. And God knows, I'm going to get some mosquitoes and bugs heading north.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #13

ZEP wet look, floor wax will do the same job as Poliglo. 24.00 per gallon at Lowes. Lasts about 3 years then needs to be redone.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #14

I did the Poli Glo on my trailer about 3 years ago. The front needs to be redone, but the back that is more shaded doesn't need it at this time.

I think the ZEP is the same stuff, I just wonder if it has as much UV inhibitor...

My front cap looks like it has a disease and is peeling, so I am going to buy the Poli Glo as I can't find a cleaner that does as good a job as that that comes in the kit. If I didn't need to clean it, I would go for the ZEP...maybe I can find the cleaner separately and buy the ZEP...

Oh - I had no difficulty in the process with the Poli Glo, unlike Wingnut. Use the scrubber and the cleaner and then wipe on the Poli Glo (about 5 coats) - notice I said WIPE on...no rubbing required. I loved how easy it was and how good it looked when done!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote