Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2004, 04:07 AM   #1

Hi: I'm new to this forum. I cannot get into RV.NET for some reason, so I found my way here.

We had a blow-out on a fairly new KLEVER tire. We have low mileage on RV. Repair man suggested that KLEVER tire might be defective.

Coincidently, a few days after we had blow-out, repair man told us another CARDINAL owner with KLEVER tires had blow-out too on fairly new tire.

By chance, is there a owner of a Cardinal 5th wheel who just recently had a Klever tire blow out with your Cardinal at Camping World in New Braunfels, Texas? Do you have information on defective Klever tires?

Thank goodness no one was hurt because of blow-out, but we have approx. $2,000.00 worth of damage. It will take 4 to 6 weeks before the repairs are complete. We are going to replace all of the fairly new Klever tires with a better brand.

Thanks for any information. Cate

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. RV.nets loss is our gain, glad you came here.

You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them and as you'll soon see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

I moved a copy of your post over to the South Central Region Forum where a lot of folks from Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma hang out. Perhaps one will see your question regarding anyone who had a Klever tire blow out with their Cardinal at Camping World in New Braunfels, Texas and will respond on that forum.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #3

I have had to replace 2 of those tire on my 03 Cardinal already myself. I had large splits down the middle of the treads. Slowely putting goodyears in place of the Klevers. I live in NY and no one had every heard of Klever so I just bit the bullit and paid the GoodYear dealer.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
You don't mention the size of tire on your rig, but if you are running (or have room for) 16" wheels, I would highly recommend the Michelin XPS Rib (E-rated, 3042 lbs @ 80 psig) or the Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST (G-rated, 3750 lbs @ 110 psig). Both of these tires are all-steel construction, commercial trailer rated radials that have solved a lot of tire problems for 5th wheel owners - I've run both tires and never had a problem. On the other hand, I've had $2500 in damage to a previous 5th wheel running Goodyear Marathons.

Of course, the wheel must be rated for the inflation pressure and load of the tire selected should you decide to upgrade.

Edit: The load ratings shown above are both for tire size LT235/85R-16 - yes, these commercial trailer rated tires carry an LT designation from their respective manufacturers.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #5

I have a Cardinal Hybred, and had experienced 2 blow outs on my rig. However the tires were from a company named "Kenda". They are a major manufacturer on the east coast. I learned of the tire issues with their products from another Cardinal owner at a campground. I called their customer service on both occassions, and they paid me in full for all tires and damages. The second time it happened I pulled off all four and had them replaced. I sent them reciepts and some digital photo's of the damage and the tires. No questions asked.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #6

2004 Cardinal with about serious damage.. refrigerator was a total loss. the tire split and wrapped around all wiring and everything else under the camper. Having serious problems with Kenda tires right now. In fact, having problems with Forest River and dealer! Any suggestions.. Attorney General is next on the list here in Louisiana! Please email me at Anaaj@aol.com
Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #7

http://classactionsource.hugesettlements.com/ After researching Kenda tires I came across this website.. I do not have any information yet but before someone is hurt or killed with these tires a recall should be done!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
prc

Quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
2004 Cardinal with about serious damage.. refrigerator was a total loss. the tire split and wrapped around all wiring and everything else under the camper. Having serious problems with Kenda tires right now. In fact, having problems with Forest River and dealer! Any suggestions.. Attorney General is next on the list here in Louisiana! Please email me at Anaaj@aol.com
A friend of mine had the same problem and Kenda tires paid all the damages and gave him 120.00$ per tire to replace those cheap ones.

2006 Wildcat 30LSWB, 2006 GMC 2500HD.
prc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well, here we are almost a year later than the thread beginning. July 22, 2006, a Kenda Klever blowout. Only now they will only pay a prorated amount for remaining tread and all of the Cardinal repairs. The 5vr is going to the shop tomorrow for the repair estimate.

I am glad I was doing a search today of old threads regarding air bags, air hitches etc. and found this thread.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #10

I had a blow out today (09-30-2006) and the tire in question is the world famous Kenda Klever. I sustained damage to the 5vr and I have already left a message for Kenda representatives to contact me (hopefully they will). Anyway I have also let my RV insurance carrier know about what has happened. After reading everyone's post I am surprised I have not had a problem until today. I will be driving out to Florida with my family towards the end of November and I hope this situation is rectified by that time.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our blowout with the same tire was in July. We still have not been reimbursed by Kenda USA. We were told weeks ago that the check was in the mail. I will be calling again tomorow.
Nancy
Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Good news. I received the refund from Kenda USA in payment of the blowout July (2006). It took some follow-up phone calls. But they did reimburse the entire cost of the 5vr repair and paid $73 each rebate for the new tires. That is fair for me because we did use the tires for 4 years. New tires for the Cardinal were $580. If it has been a motorhome that would probably have been the cost of one tire.
N
Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #13

When are these RV manufactures going to stop install these cheap Chinese made tires on their new RVs.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #14

I know this is an old thred but add another klever blow out with damage to the trailer to the list. This has to stop, this is the third tire on an 03 trailer.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote