Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
Cargo capacity of 5er

Hey all, Im curious about the max cargo weight specs of my Dutchmen denali. We just weekend camp and do an annually big trip with the kids so I'm not too concerned with bringing our lives with us but according to the brochure we can only carry 1750lbs in the trailer.

If you factor in some clothes, dishes and food for a family of 5. Plus firewood, BBQ and other assorted camping gear, how close could we possibly get to that 1750 capacity? There is no CAT scale in the area so I have no real way to weigh it at this time.

Also, if you wanted to increase that capacity, is it just a matter of replacing the axles?

The TV is a complete non-issue. I'm probably no more than 18000lbs combined and the truck is rated for over 30k with a payload capacity of over 5k.

sdrutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
If you work at it, you can get your weight down to 1750 pounds! 60 gallons of water at 8.3 pounds per gallon - 498 pounds, propane, 2 20 gallon bottles at 38 pounds each, 76 pounds - then there are dishes, pots and pans, bottle jacks, BBQ grills, stinky hose and accoutrements, leveling blocks, television set(s), bed clothes, towels and washcloths, jackets, clothing, cameras, computers, firewood, etc.

1750 pounds will get used up quickly...and it is more than just replacing the axles as the frame must have the strength for it as well.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Forest River Owners Club
You may want to check with your local Department of Transportation or Department of Public Safety, they have portable scales and can assist you with finding out what your loaded weight is. Just a thought since you don't have a scale available.....
Buenos Dias from New Mexico
Stephen & Nancy
2015 FR Widlcat 344QB 2014 Ford F350
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
We full time in a 40ft 5th wheel and never can reach 2000 lbs of cargo. There is no place to store that much including our washer/dryer. The most I weighted stuffing our unit full has been 1200 lbs and we have one of the most storage space unit. I used the scales once 23 years ago and it was so far off that I tried to get my money back. They are calibrated for 80000 lbs I was told, and my 8000 lbs unit was not close.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
You might save a little weight by leaving the firewood at home, and buying it locally as you need it.

With so many invasive insects devastating trees , either by spreading diseases or by devouring all of the leaves, many (if not most) areas are attempting to control the spread of the insect pests by prohibiting carrying in firewood from outside of the immediate area.

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Mid Atlantic Campers
It's not good to bring firewood anywhere these days. I do have some hardwood cabinet making scraps I usually put in a box to use for kindling wood, but anything with bark and even slightly moist can carry insects.

The whole thing about liquids is something most 5er owners have to think about sort of like pilots. We try to travel with as little fresh water and empty tanks as much as possible. If we know we're going to be dry camping for more than a couple of days, we may fill the fresh, but only then. It's the same with the grey (two tanks in our case) and black - I empty them as often as I can while we're on the road.

Also, that carrying capacity also does not include your propane, so you've got to figure that in as well.
2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
So it might not be that big of a deal then. We are used to packing light from when we had an undersized truck.

I guess ultimately we will have to figure out how much our belongings weigh and make sure we stay under the max capacity
sdrutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
You should look on the 5er to see what the real CC is. Should be a label on the door. You could be 1-200lbs lower than that. FWIW we carry 14-1500lbs and it's just the two of us. We like to pack the kitchen sink. But in reality we don't have a whole lot that we might never use. Our 5er will handle 4315lbs so I never concern myself with what I pack.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote