Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Cargo hitch strong enough to carry ATV?

I want to add a cargo hitch to my FW to carry a small ATV for the kids.

Any idea where to source this? I found one but the item was discontinued. There are plenty of cargo hitches that can carry a motorcycle. Why are the ATV ones so hard to find?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

500 # cap

Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not clear on where you want to carry the ATV, on the trailer hitch of your truck or the tail end of your 5th wheel? Most 5th wheelers don't have a strong enough frame to weld a hitch. In addition, measure the distance from rear axle and trailer end. The up/down motion and shock will be magnified back there resulting in violent stress. Also putting a couple hundred pounds on the tail might reduce pin weight to an unstable degree. Just some things to keep in mind.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm not clear on where you want to carry the ATV, on the trailer hitch of your truck or the tail end of your 5th wheel? Most 5th wheelers don't have a strong enough frame to weld a hitch. In addition, measure the distance from rear axle and trailer end. The up/down motion and shock will be magnified back there resulting in violent stress. Also putting a couple hundred pounds on the tail might reduce pin weight to an unstable degree. Just some things to keep in mind.
All good points, I guess I didn't consider that.

I want to carry the ATV on cargo carrier attached to the tow hitch on the back of the FW.

Previous owner of my FW is an expert in RVing (has a very establised RV repair shop). He towed a boat behind the FW using the installed hitch. So I just assumed I could put a cargo carrier on it and haul a small ATV (3-400 lbs).

Looks like I found it though... and it will address the rear axle weight:
Blue Ox Wheeled SportCarrier II for 3-Receiver Hitch - 84" Long x 48" Wide - 1,000 lbs Blue Ox Hitch Cargo Carrier SC2102

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #5

I just found this one also:

VersaHaul ATV Hitch Carrier - VH-90RO

If you scroll through the pictures in the listing, the second to the last one shows the hitch being used on a MH or FW.

I am concerned about the rear axle weight, and kingpin weight reduction. But I am wondering if putting weight toward the front of the FW to offset is a logical approach?

I like the Blue Ox Wheeled sport carrier better because that dual wheel setup will obviously take the load off the hitch and rear axle. But I'm wondering if that will be perceived as a "trailer" rather than a cargo-carrier hitch... since some states don't allow towing behind a FW.

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Since it connects to the back of the trailer and doesn't swing independently, I don't think it's considered a trailer. (it doesn't have it's own license) I'm a little shocked at the price, $2600+ Amazon. You might consider trading for a toyhauler or mount a carrier on the roof of the tow vehicle.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

Think leverage.
Even if the receiver has a 500 lbs capacity, that's on a hitch ball only about 6" back. Doing the math, 125 lbs @ 24" will exert the same force. Not sure how far back that carrier would put the CG of the quad, but I can't see it hanging on too long on the back of a bouncing fiver...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Since it connects to the back of the trailer and doesn't swing independently, I don't think it's considered a trailer. (it doesn't have it's own license) I'm a little shocked at the price, $2600+ Amazon. You might consider trading for a toyhauler or mount a carrier on the roof of the tow vehicle.
You're right... seems pretty spendy.

I think maybe I'll just rent the occasional ATV.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #9

I told myself I'd be willing to pay $700-$1000 for a carrier. The Blue Ox on etrailer.com runs around $2811 plus another $300 for a 3" hitch (can't recall what size hitch I already have on the FW.

We are new to the RV lifestyle. We [I]think[I] we want a TH but want to spend 6 months on the road first to make sure that's what we want. Then we're going with either a brand new truck and TH or a new MH. For now we bought a used truck and a nice Thor FW with bunks in back for the kids.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
we have blue ox utility sport carrier ll, slightly used

I am aware post is dated. I am hoping someone else might be looking for samething.

My friend has a Blue ox sport utility ll. slightly used, he is storing it at my place. wants to sell .. cheap. if interested, please make offer.

Email me please; ddanwong at hotmail dot com
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #11

The Blue Ox sport carrier is what we are looking for to add to the rear of our 5th wheel to carry an ATV. Before we go to the expense and trouble of getting it all set up we need to clarify it's legality between states? Some say it's not legal in some states. Please advise??
Old 03-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weightsnut View Post
The Blue Ox sport carrier is what we are looking for to add to the rear of our 5th wheel to carry an ATV. Before we go to the expense and trouble of getting it all set up we need to clarify it's legality between states? Some say it's not legal in some states. Please advise??
My friend has this approximately a year. He had it out a couple times. according to him. License plate is NOT REQUIRE in Arizona. This is consider an attachment - not a trailer - therefore license plate is not required in Arizona. maybe different with other states.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

Hi Dan, The issue we face is not licensing but rather legality. We live in Washington state and have been told the wheel on the rear of the carrier makes it considered a triple tow. In Washington triple towing is not permitted.The law is unclear and I can;t even get a straight answer from the state patrol. They keep quoting me laws based on Idaho truck totes (equipment laws ) Confusion is, "is it considered a triple tow because of the supporting wheel"??
Old 03-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weightsnut View Post
Hi Dan, The issue we face is not licensing but rather legality. We live in Washington state and have been told the wheel on the rear of the carrier makes it considered a triple tow. In Washington triple towing is not permitted.The law is unclear and I can;t even get a straight answer from the state patrol. They keep quoting me laws based on Idaho truck totes (equipment laws ) Confusion is, "is it considered a triple tow because of the supporting wheel"??
Oh, okay, I got it. For information purpose only; not trying to hustle a sale. the wheel can easily be detached by removing four bolt or it can easily adapt with a hinge - simply flip it up when you are going through state don't allow triple tow. would this solve the problem ?.

According to the following article; Arizona allows triple tow. (hehe... Washington does not )
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...ple_towing.php