Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #15

Yes Rad-Mini is the brand / model. Twilightzone's link is correct.
The 20"x4" fat tires do lend themselves to flotation on most surfaces. We spend half the yr. in AZ / CA and they do well in the sandy and desert areas we frequent near the Colorado river region. We've not actually tried them in vast deep fine dry sand where it would be difficult to maneuver most any vehicles.
The bikes perform and handle well. We've been pleased with their utilitarian nature and forgiving characteristics. Easily adjustable and ample power and battery reserves.
Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #16

There are several racks available for bikes. I think mine was ordered from Camping World and then the racks for the bike tires. It is in pieces and may need some reinforcing just because I want to. It is single receiver hitch mounted and says 500# capacity. It handles the bikes well but I would be hard pressed to get a generator on with them.
I believe they are fairly standard in size so you may need to build.
Another option is a single wheel or double wheel trailer that attaches to the receiver hitch. I believe they are larger than the racks. Good luck and happy searching.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #17

Those off the shelf racks are weak. The 2 inch tube is only 1/8 inch thick. Had to help a friend rebuild one on the way to Alaska. That receiver tube needs to be 1/4 in wall just like the receiver. Yes they wobble back and forth. My friend used bunge cords to the ladder on one end to stabilize it. I put one receiver on the end of each frame rail. To haul my quad, the 2 receivers are the attachment points for my tilt wheel trailer that has a down force of 300lb when hauling 600lb with Quad.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #18

Why not put the bikes on the pin box, and the generator on the back by its self??

Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Why not put the bikes on the pin box, and the generator on the back by its self??

Where did you find that hitch receiver? Is it after market or custom made? That would work great for my 5th wheel that has a split rear bumper due to the back door on the Heritage Glen 356QB.
schwabml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post

I'm liking that pin box receiver a lot!! That would solve my problems.
Where did you get it, and who makes it? I hope it's premade and not a fabricated piece as that's much easier.

What size truck bed is that?

I see you're using a Swagman bike rack with a rise to it. Makes it clear nicely. How do the bikes ride? Any tips...would you do anything different if you set it up today?
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
I'm liking that pin box receiver a lot!! That would solve my problems.
Where did you get it, and who makes it? I hope it's premade and not a fabricated piece as that's much easier.

What size truck bed is that?

I see you're using a Swagman bike rack with a rise to it. Makes it clear nicely. How do the bikes ride? Any tips...would you do anything different if you set it up today?
The receiver can be bought at any steel supply store.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
The receiver can be bought at any steel supply store.
As a piece...or buy the receiver and fabricate the two angle brackets then have it welded...?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #23

You can also go a slightly different route - I've got a swivel wheel trailer behind my fifth wheel, and it seems to work just fine. No issues going down the road, and I'm able to back into a spot just fine. I plan on putting my grill, generator, and assorted odds and ends on it. The bikes are going on a front receiver hitch on the tow vehicle. I'm not sure I like the idea of lifting them all the way up onto the pin box when I want to travel....I like easy!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
You can also go a slightly different route - I've got a swivel wheel trailer behind my fifth wheel, and it seems to work just fine. No issues going down the road, and I'm able to back into a spot just fine. I plan on putting my grill, generator, and assorted odds and ends on it. The bikes are going on a front receiver hitch on the tow vehicle. I'm not sure I like the idea of lifting them all the way up onto the pin box when I want to travel....I like easy!
How far up do the bikes sit? Are they in your line of sight too bad when parking or that sort of thing? We've seen front mounts a lot on the road...I forgot about that idea. What brand of bike rack do you have?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #25

I am building a mount for my generator to attach to my front receiver hitch on my truck, and plan on bikes on a rear rack welded to the trailer frame. That way, when I need the generator, it's separate of the bikes, and I don't screw with the weight distribution on the trailer too much.
nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Does your trailer use a single receiver hitch or 2?

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #27

This is a great thread !!! One thing I miss the most of two from our class A , is a genny.. For emergency use. Not a lot of room in a short bed truck with a 5th wheel. Please keep the ideas coming on the genny/rear mount thing !!! Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Does your trailer use a single receiver hitch or 2?

Brad
Navy might chime in,but swivel trailers use 2 receivers.Some models have one wheel,some have 2 wheels.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel