Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: Having used a cargo rack , mounted by a single center mounted 2" bar, I wouldn't do it again . If necessary I'd use 2 ; 2" receivers , one under each frame rail and fabricate the cargo rack the same way.
The single center mount of the cargo rack , allows the rack to rock side to side ; WITH EVERY BUMP IN THE ROAD ; eventually , the rack will start to flex tearing apart the welds , or more correctly the metal next to the welds , and if not noticed the rack and contents can drop on the road.
Have a look at the factory slide out racks that are an option on some 5ers, they appear to be built to last.
Also , any weigh added behind the rear bumper on a trailer , lowers your pin weight , any pin weigh reduction below 15 % of the total loaded weight on a 5er, will effect handling , in ways you'd rather not experience.
( Don't ask how I know this. )

I agree... I'm mounting a storage, generator, bike rack, skid plates, leveling jacks to the back of our 5th. I'll have a pcs of 1/4" x 5" steel tube welded to each frame rail. The tube will extend 18" out past the frame/bumper with 4' welded to the frame and it will be cross braced.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #30

Genny bent the frame

Last 5th wheel (Alpenlite 25) had a well built rack welded to the frame when I purchased. I installed a 250# genny, 12 gallon gas tank, small gas grill and a plastic tool box that held the gen battery and a few wooden leveling blocks.
Might have had 500# total, plus the weight of the rack itself. Coming south through Mississippi last summer, the interstates were so rough that the hard bouncing actually bent the frame behind the axles enough that the siding on the back of the camper separated about 2". Be careful how much you cantilever back there! Probably better off w/a swivel wheel.
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel