Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy View Post
Hello all, I know all the snow birds in Quartzsite are enjoying the winter. I can't wait to go there some day. This northeast winter is terrible. Anyhow, my question is has anyone ever used Carlisle tires. I'm looking at st 235 85r 16 f. Rated for 3960. F rating is higher than a g. At 160 $ apiece seems like a good buy as long as their not like those China bombs. Anyone with any knowledge of these tires please respond. Thanks and happy trails.
Give me a Goodyear G614, Michelin XPS ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribs any time. I don't want any tire on my fifth wheel trailer from China.

They're all great tires, and you can find a dealer handling them everywhere. I bought my R250 tires at Costco for a very fair price.

The Sailuns are also fine, but the dealer base is few and far between.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Fasteagle says;

Correct. However you said axle loads and I said axle load requirements.
Axle load requirements = the trailer axle ratings on the vehicles certification placard which is the only requirement for replacing tires on a trailer from any legal standpoint which is roadside enforcement.
The GAWR depicted on a RV trailer's certification label is set by the vehicle manufacturer. However, tires fitted to that same GAWR have to meet the minimum standard set by the DOT. Once the vehicle manufacturer selects tires for the GAWR they have demonstrated by that action that the minimum standard for tires for that particular vehicle are depicted on the certification label along with the recommended inflation pressures that set the load capacity they approve for that fitment.

There is nothing in FMVSS regulations that pertains to any OE fitments other than those directed at the vehicle manufacturer. The regulations tell them to use an appropriate tire fitment. The labeling displays that fitment.

The next logical fitment is replacement tires for the OE tires. Those procedures are from common, tire industry standards, normally supported by the TRA & RMA. They are all in agreement about having to be equal to, or greater than, the load capacity of the OE tires.

Iím not going to post again in this thread. Iím surprised something hasnít already been said about this blatant theft of the OPs thread asking about Carlisle Tires.

FastEagle

FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #17

Back to the OP question. As I've posted on other forums, our 'new to us' 14K lb 5er came with Carlisle RH F tires last year. Not sure how many miles were on when we purchased it, but we've now put ~6K miles on in the last year with no issues. I hope to drive them another 2-3yrs and ~20K miles and then replace with same. So far, so good...we'll see
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
I would think that if the tires aren't overloaded and kept to the correct pressure, you should get 5 years of service out the tires. I don't keep tires beyond 5 years period.....doesn't matter about how the tires look or the mileage or lack off.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hello all, I know all the snow birds in Quartzsite are enjoying the winter. I can't wait to go there some day. This northeast winter is terrible. Anyhow, my question is has anyone ever used Carlisle tires. I'm looking at st 235 85r 16 f. Rated for 3960. F rating is higher than a g. At 160 $ apiece seems like a good buy as long as their not like those China bombs. Anyone with any knowledge of these tires please respond. Thanks and happy trails.
I find the ST235/85R16 LR-F is rated at 3960# at95 psi.
I do not see a Load Range G tire listed.

Was it a typo when you said "F rating is higher than a g" or did someone tell you this. In fact Load Range letters go in order C, D, E, F, G, H, J etc
Am not familiar with any ST type tire 16" wheel diameter with a Load range higher than F but there may be one.

Remember if you go with a LR-F you will need to find a Carslile dealer if you ever need a replacement. You also need to be sure the wheels you have are rated for the load 3960 and inflation of 95. Get this IN WRITING from wheel company.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #20

The "f" rating is Carlisle specific according to their tire chart. The rating through me off also. I have 16" g rated goodyears now 3750 lbs. Their 16" f is higher, 3960. Thanks for all replys, it has been very informative and interesting. There is a lot more to tires than putting air in them, but as in the beginning, I'm looking for others that have experience with that specific tire. As of now I do very little long distance travel, maybe once a year 500 miles one way. Most of the time are 50 to 150 mile trips to area campgrounds as I am not retired yet. Once I retire then it's a whole other ball game.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #21
Commercial Member

I still do not see how tires of the same type and size can have an F Load Range tire rated to carry more load at the same inflation as a G load range tire.

Can you provide links to the tables you are using?
or a picture for the table?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I still do not see how tires of the same type and size can have an F Load Range tire rated to carry more load at the same inflation as a G load range tire.

Can you provide links to the tables you are using?
or a picture for the table?
Is this what you're asking about?

Trailer Tire

FE
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #23

Ah, Carlisle, my first China bomb experience! In all fairness, they didn't blow, just developed bulges. I'll stick with Maxxis 8008.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #24

If F rated tires are ST tires they will be rated higher then a G Rated LT tires. The LT is design for occupancy and under different requirement. That's why to me an ST tirevis way overrated in capacity for the weight of the carcass.
I would rather have 110 lbs of air in my tires then 90 lbs.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #25

FastEagle, yes that's the tire. Carlisle has an F rating at 3960 w/95 psi on that tire. That's what is confusing, other tire manufacturer's G rated tires are 3750 w/110 psi. I'm also looking at Sailun S637 tire.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not know if it is fair to say bad things about a tire brand if it has been several years since having bad things happen or not. However I had 4 Carlisle tires on a boat trailer and they came apart at the seams within the first 3000 miles, starting with the first tire at approx 1000 miles. They were willing to completly replace each tire at no cost. However, the tire was to be shipped by UPS because there was no local dealer. By the time the tires reached my home I had already replaced them all with Goodyears. They failed when I was 200 miles away from where I needed to be and waiting for a shipment was not in the cards. I have refused to use Carlisle's since. The replacement tires set in my shed for years. They made wonderful homes for a few rodents!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #27

Quote:
FastEagle, yes that's the tire. Carlisle has an F rating at 3960 w/95 psi on that tire. That's what is confusing, other tire manufacturer's G rated tires are 3750 w/110 psi. I'm also looking at Sailun S637 tire.
The Sailun S637 is a LT tire. It's construction mirrors that of the Goodyear G614 so it also needs to be mounted on 16X6.5" high load capacity rims rated at 3750# at 110 psi.

It's always a problem describing the difference in tire load capacity between the ST and LT tires. They are different constructions using different sized building materials.

A stainless steel bolt may be of the same size and dimension as a titanium bolt. However, the titanium bolt may be much stronger because of the materials it's manufactured from.

FastEagle

On edit: http://www.sailuntire.ca/MRT/S637.html
Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:

You still haven't identified the "other tire manufacturer's G rated tire"

Others have pointed out that you can not compare two different type tires i.e. LT vs ST vs Euro Commercial and consider the same simply because they fit a 16" rim.

Fast.. Thanks but I had already checked the Carlisle page and as can be seen there are no G Load range tires on that page. I still do not know what tires the OP is talking about.

I do find the Goodyear G614 LR-G rated at 3,750# @ 110 but that is not the same "Size" as the Carlisle St235/85R16 LR-F.

"Size" is not just the numbers

Proper nomenclature includes the letter prefix as well as Load Range and Service Description 9if any) after the rim diameter.

Lot of time wasted here because the correct information is not provided with the original question.

This is not the first time for this error to be made and I am afraid it won't be the last. Even Sailrun and Carlisle both do sloppy jobs of incomplete size designation on their web pages.

Tags
tires