Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Carlisle tires

Hello all, I know all the snow birds in Quartzsite are enjoying the winter. I can't wait to go there some day. This northeast winter is terrible. Anyhow, my question is has anyone ever used Carlisle tires. I'm looking at st 235 85r 16 f. Rated for 3960. F rating is higher than a g. At 160 $ apiece seems like a good buy as long as their not like those China bombs. Anyone with any knowledge of these tires please respond. Thanks and happy trails.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

I have that same tire on my 5th wheel. I have had them a year and about 7000 miles. No problems. Before I bought them, I researched several brands. Those are the heaviest for the size. At one time, Carlisle had a bad reputation, but the new are supposed to be redesigned. I have it in writing that any damage done to my trailer by a faulty tire blowout would be repaired.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

I've had them for 3 years on my 5er and no problems, but they are SP with a 65 mph limit.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Well.... their still a ST tire made over there. A google around the net with all types of trailering forums tells the tail and it ain't pretty.

The Carlisle ST radial trailer RH is their new tire as of 2012 but has no track record yet to see if their any better than Carlisle ST tires in the past. Carlisle is #1 in ST tire complaints on NHTSA tire complaints website and has been for years.

Its not because their made in china as all ST tires had the same reputation when all ST tires were made in the usa by or major domestic tire makers. Years before the net.

Maybe the new ST RH from Carlisle will be a winner. Miles and several years will tell the tail.

I just mounted six Sailun S637 a commercial grade all steel ply casing LT235/85-16 load range G @ 3750 lb capacity on a 21k tri axle GN flatbed trailer/7k axles at 190 bucks a tire.

I sure wouldn't put a ST tire back on a trailer that heavy.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had one fail internally on my hauler trailer and they didnt blink and prepacked all four on our trip..the new ones were tow max and they paid all but 10 bux per tire in replacement

customer service was a win for me
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #6

I think Carlisle is owned by Goodyear. There were problems with both when they went to China for production. Seems that the problems have been fixed. I've had new Marathon's on my trailer for two years and they are great. If I had tires that were larger I would use Michelin Ribs because they are the most durable tire available and they are all position tires meaning they are for steering or traction. If you want peace of mind go with the Ribs but be prepared for the cost. The damage from a blowout can offset the increased cost of the tires and the inconvience of having to deal with it. Pay the money and move on.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

I have same tired on and like them. They are wearing even and I have no problems.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

Carlisle has always been up-front with information about their tires. If you're using them or considering purchasing them I highly recommend reading their "Tips & Best Practices" download in the reference.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

I'm not going into a debate over ST vs LT tires but consider this. LT tires carry precious cargo, people. Standards are very high on them. ST is for trailers. Standards not high on these, no precious cargo. People complain about ST failure and buy more. No loss. LT failure and major prime time news.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I'm not going into a debate over ST vs LT tires but consider this. LT tires carry precious cargo, people. Standards are very high on them. ST is for trailers. Standards not high on these, no precious cargo. People complain about ST failure and buy more. No loss. LT failure and major prime time news.
The last time I counted there were still 22 states that allow people to ride in travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers at highway speeds.

There are two very powerful enterprises involved with DOT certified tires. Vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Vehicles are end items. Therefore, their builders are responsible for the equipment used in their construction and certification. Tire manufacturers build tires to satisfy the needs of the vehicle manufacturers. The ruling body (DOT) has a long standing rule (regulation) that places the sole responsibility for tire selection in the hands of the vehicle manufacturer. In the many rules used for vehicle manufacturing you will find the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Within the FMVSS are the regulations that direct the vehicle manufacturer to select tires appropriate for each vehicle fitment. Then there is the recommended inflation pressure (s), set by the vehicle manufacturer and the GVWR and GAWR, set by the vehicle manufacturer.

The dilemma for RV trailer tire fitments arise when replacements are needed. Special trailer tires (ST) are not compatible with other tire designs. They are built with larger, stronger cording materials that will provide more load capacity than like sizes from other designs.

Manufacturers of tires from other designs cannot recommend their tires over the vehicle manufactures OE design selections. I can’t even imagine the millions of dollars in fines and penalties it would cost a tire manufacturer that did and his recommendations caused a catastrophic failure.

So, no matter what the “word” is or what the dealer or retailer says, misapplications are risky. The most risky is the replacement that doesn’t have as much load capacity as the OE tires.

The maximum load rating molded in to the sidewall of DOT certified tires is the only certified figure for that tire. It’s approved by the Tire & Rim association (TRA) and certified by the DOT.

FastEagle
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

To say that Quote;
Manufacturers of tires from other designs cannot recommend their tires over the vehicle manufactures OE design selections. I can’t even imagine the millions of dollars in fines and penalties it would cost a tire manufacturer that did and his recommendations caused a catastrophic failure.
This is pure conjecture on the ST vs LT replacement requirements.

There is no misapplication in replacing a ST tire with a LT tire as long as the axle load requirements are met.

You even said in your tire blog; this is a direct quote;

"I have literally spent hundreds of hours searched government regulations for tire fitments. I’ve read numerous tire manufacturer standard operating procedure manuals for replacement tires and cannot find anything that will prohibit the use of Light Truck (LT) tires as replacements for Special Trailer (ST) tires. With any “plus sizing” fitment situations, safety factors must be weighed. Tires and rims must be of the proper size for each other. Off-set must be compatible with trailer axle requirements. Load capacities must be equal to the task."

No one will be sued or fined because they replaced a ST tire with a LT or even a P tire if the axle load requirements are met.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post

There is no misapplication in replacing a ST tire with a LT tire as long as the axle load requirements are met.

Axle loads have nothing to do with replacement tire selections. They are determined by selecting tires that will equal or exceed the Original Equipment tires load capacity. FMVSS regulations are not written as a guideline for the public, they are minimum standards the vehicle manufacturer must abide. Vehicle manufacturers select OE tires that - in their judgment - are appropriate for each vehicle they manufacturer. That information is required on the vehicle's certification label along with the recommended inflation pressure (s) and rim size (s). That action constitutes a minimum requirement.

"I have literally spent hundreds of hours searched government regulations for tire fitments. I’ve read numerous tire manufacturer standard operating procedure manuals for replacement tires and cannot find anything that will prohibit the use of Light Truck (LT) tires as replacements for Special Trailer (ST) tires. With any “plus sizing” fitment situations, safety factors must be weighed. Tires and rims must be of the proper size for each other. Off-set must be compatible with trailer axle requirements. Load capacities must be equal to the task."
The industry standards for plus sizing does not specifically disallow design changes. However, that post is no longer in my trailer tire blog. I removed it some time ago when numerous tire manufacturers started voiding their warranty coverage for LT tires used to replace ST tires and labeling that action a misapplication. Some of those warranty packages now refer to the vehicle owners manuals for replacement guidance.

FastEagle
Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #13

"Load capacities must be equal to the task." Therein lies what I see is the problem--nowhere does the law specify that there should be OVERcapacity in tire loading--thus the trailer mfgs put the minimum load rating on the trailers. Its legal, over and done with..
FastEagle--I know you have done a lot of research and have tire knowledge over and above what most of us have--but to me, its near criminal when the mfgs put tires on that barely cover the axle weights (which is all they all required to do). So it goes back on the buyer to be sure he has the tire capability to handle the load. If every trailer tire in use had about 20% (or more) extra load capacity than the minimum, then a LOT of tire problems would disappear.
Just my 2 cents.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #14

Fasteagle says;
Quote:
Axle loads have nothing to do with replacement tire selections.
Correct. However you said axle loads and I said axle load requirements.
Axle load requirements = the trailer axle ratings on the vehicles certification placard which is the only requirement for replacing tires on a trailer from any legal standpoint which is roadside enforcement.

Tags
tires