Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Carriage Designs Full-Wall Slide in 37-ft. Fiver
RV Business
Monday, December 3, 2007

Photo: Shawn Spence
Carriage Inc. has engineered a 30-foot full-wall slideout into a 37-foot Carri-Lite fifth-wheel trailer that incorporates the front cabover bedroom and the living area of the coach. "Unlike a motorized unit where they are sliding out a small rectangle that is only part of a bigger rectangle, we've engineered the first full-wall slide in a towable of this size that carries into the bedroom," said Don Emahiser, vice president of sales for the Millersburg, Ind., manufacturer. "We've done everything that we can to max out the allowed square footage." The full-wall slideout floorplan made its debut last week during the 45th Annual National RV Trade Show at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Ky. With gelcoat-fiberglass-and-aluminum construction, the mid-profile Carri-Lite features custom-molded front and rear caps, heated underbellies, Corian countertops and edging, leather furniture and hardwood cabinets. Retail price: about $90,000.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #2

wow!! That is cool!

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #3

Sound innovative. What am I missing? The visible slide extends from just in front of the overshot to just in front of the front axle. That can't be 30'.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #4

Ray
Look again it drop down and just keeps going. I didn't see it at first until I read your post.

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Regardless of the number and/or size of the slideouts, floor area still can't exceed 400 sq. ft., right?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

Yup, 400 square feet is max. Pretty innovative though.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Time will tell, but from the look of it there may be issues with the mechanical in and out operation of such a large unusual shaped slide. The sheer mass of it would require a much beefier mechanism, I hope they put one in to handle it.

But, it does look cool. Just hope it works.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #8

The depth of the slide does not look to be that deep.Since the end of the slide does not have a window it could be deceiving.
Don
Old 12-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #9

I see the full slide now, after you pointed it out. That appears to be a design engineers headache. I wonder what holds up the roof on that side? I'm gonna have to find one of those nearby, so I can see up close and personal.
It is a great excuse to begin RV show hopping again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #10

Floor area is some 399.??, can't remember the numbers. That slide is riding on a brand new designed slide mechanism. Seems the response at the show was quite positive from all who saw it. First testing has been very positive.

Bob
Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #11

Isn't that unit 100 inches wide (without the slide)?

Hensley Arrow
Diesel Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #12

90K!!!! Thats a lot of bucks for a 37 foot fifth wheel if you ask me.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #13

I saw it at the HUDGE Tampa RV Show. I was surprised it was not much heavier then my current unit. I was impressed & would put it on my list if I was looking for a new unit.

Reg
Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #14

I have not seen this model yet. Missed the RV Super Show in Tampa. I'm up here in Portsmouth, VA. fixing a CG Ship..to far north of I-10 for this time of year. Got the fiver with me.

But, just looking at the mid body transition from one height to another, I would speculate that a crack could occur at the 90 degree angle between the upper and lower slide portion. Similar to the front lower corner of the slide out cutout on many other fifth wheels.

This corner should have been made with at least a 3" radius at the transition to elimanate the possibility of the crack occuring at the 90, from up and down movement when being towed.

I'll bet Carriage did not reinforce the inside portion of the slide cutout enough to make up for the lost material strength accross the length and height of the trailer cutout for the slide.

Unlike the front portion of fifth wheel this part is supported a little better with the wheels being closer to the transistion. Still I would be concerned about it.

Only time will tell.

National RV has a Motor Home with a 27ft slide on the same level with no verticle breaks in it. I've seen that one run in and out. Quick and quiet. Don't know if they have encountered any problems.

Dave