Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Carriage Full wall slide issue

we have a 2011 36fws and are experiencing slide issues. There are 3 limit switches & one wall switch that operate it. We stop for the night & put the slide out, but in the morning it will not do anything. I have removed the fuse in the past and reinstalled it & the slide started working. I have had to remove the wall panels in the storage area and make some jumper wires to go to battery to make the slide go in & out. Has anyone experienced these problems & if so what is the fix? I have replaced all three limit switches.
fishermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #2

A good resource is carriage-lifestyle-owners.com this a forum with a lot of great folks who have our trailers and are always willing to help

Eric
32fws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

Have you tried testing or replacing the wall switch. See if power is going through the switch every time you press it. The switch contacts inside could be faulty.

Hopefully it is nothing more than that.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the chance of a faulty switch, also check the connections from the batteries to the slide motor, a loose connection will also give you the problem that you describe. The return(in) circuit is where your trouble is, so that would be the first thing to check.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we have experienced pretty much the same thing with our Berkshire,
Out of four slides, the dining room was slow to slide out and even slower to retract.
Put it the shop before Thanksgiving and they just called and said after going back and forth between the coach manufacturer, the slide manufacturer they finally found that the problem was it faulty hydraulic ram on the slide.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

If you can jump the motor from the battery , I may suggest to look at the relay , there should be 2 for the slide I believe. Mine are located in the floor and mine are not hydraulic but it did the same to me. Relay is $25.00
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What did the dealer tell you?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

As you may have found, the motor for the FWS is behind a panel in the left side of the basement storage area.
There are two shafts which move the FWS in and out. If these two shafts are not "in time" the rear section of the FWS will bind causing the motor to over work, get hot and trip the beaker. This issue is not very well known to many dealerships do to their unfamiliarity with this particular model.
In my particular case, I had to readjust the timing slot on the rear shaft so it would start just a little before the front shaft section of the FWS do to the extra length of the rear shaft being considerably longer than the front shaft which caused it to twist a few degrees before actually beginning to bring the rear section in. This was a constant issue on our coach.
Be aware that the FWS is only operated by one underpowered 12 volt motor in which there is an upgraded higher output motor available now. If you plan on keeping the coach, I would certainly consider replacing the motor with the recommended upgrade.
It is a task which can be done yourself, saving the extravagant ridiculous cost of having the dealer do it?
notewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide