Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Carriage RV

I went to a RV Dealer today to buy a few small items I needed for my new Mobile Suite RV...There was a new Carriage 40' 5th wheel open and on display so I walked in and around it just to take a look...What a disappointment these 5th wheels used to be spectacular units but no more...Everything about them is low end and cheaply done...Thor has ruined the Carriage brand I just hope DRV doesn't suffer the same fate as Thor bought DRV this past February...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #2

It is my guess Thor has a bunch a bean counters. They will sifen off as much profit as they can. They will funnel the money to the top brass and let the product suffer. It is nothing for these companies to fold up and go out of business once they are not profitable. The top brass walks away with a ton of $$$.

The worker bees get screwed along with the buying public.

Ever notice new rigs coming into the market as others disappear? It is one big shell game trying to find a good unit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #3

I never judge a unit by the bling of the inside. Practicalities are more important. Like mid W/D for decent pin weight. Heavy I beam frames and proper axles and tires.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

I'm with you suiteowner. That was the subject of much speculation at the suites owner's rally just held in Las Vegas. The rep from Drv says they have been told to just do business as usual. The only changes so far have been in the accounting dept since Thor is a publicly held company. There is more reporting that has to be done. We'll see how it shakes out but can't imagine there won't be changes down the line. Hoping for the best.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Carriage actually went out of business and was started again with Thor. The LifeStyles are the new Carriage.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I never judge a unit by the bling of the inside. Practicalities are more important. Like mid W/D for decent pin weight. Heavy I beam frames and proper axles and tires.
Neither do I wouldn't be in an MS otherwise...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

You have to rethink how the name Carriage is used. It was a company as well as a brand known for quality and factory support. Today "Carriage" is a sub-name for a 5th wheel line of a parent company that also has other mid-high price lines and then the newly acquired DRV company. Thor bought the name, nothing else.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Does anyone know what Thor company is building the new 5th wheel they are calling 'Carriage'?.

Evergreen builds the LifeStyle which is the old Carriage Cameo 96" wide frame while the old Carriage Carri-lite was wider 102". Evergreen builds the Alpha Gold (in name only) which is wider than the LifeStyle. The Alpha Gold is wider at 102" than the 96" wide Lifestyle. Throw in the Bay Hill and Evergreen now has 5th wheels that compete with just about anyone.

So I wonder who builds the new Carriage and where does it fit in?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #9

The new Lifestyles are also 102" wide. While Evergreen is the parent company for Lifestyle, Lifestyle makes the Alfa Gold. CrossRoads uses the Carriage and the Cameo name.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

Lifestyle update, Yep...I see an asterisk "specifications changed 3-6-15". They are now listed as being 101".

And wow - 8,000lb. axles, disc brakes, known box frame, H rated tires. Looks like a direct competitor to DRV.

And I see the Carriage name belongs to CrossRoads.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #11

The Lifestyle is built by the same people that built the Cameo. Uses same frame, same building technicians. Basically same unit with upgrades. The only feature that wasn't offered was wide body and now they do so the Carri-lite is back.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #12

In the old Carriage line up, Royals Internationals was the top, Carrilite was next, then the Cameo line. A Carrilite with all options was a Royals International. If ours had been ordered with disc brakes and 17.5 wheels it would be a Royals, and there is nothing "Lite" about it...
Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #13

I always thought that Carri-lite was one of the worse mis-named rigs out there.
A very heavy well built 5th wheel called 'lite'.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

Have to agree. Never understood why the word "lite".