Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
My truck bed (long bed) is an integral part of my rig, and not just because it houses my hitch. Both when traveling and at the site, I depend on it for storage.

As long as items are well stored and not an obstruction to the movement of the hitch/king pin, why would one not utilize that space? I say load it up, but pay attention to the added weight as it's part of your payload calculation.
X2. Do this all the time.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
As Pete said,,, Make Sure Anything is secured in the bed.... There is a lot of turbulence under the cap in the bed... Heavy things are not a problem... Coolers or chairs, etc,,, Tie Them Down !!!! Other than that, you paid for the space,,,, use it...
Monkey
Please don't ask monkey or me how we know this but yes, do not underestimate the wind turbulence around and under that front nose cap.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:14 AM   #17

I use a trifold hard cover flipped up for towing with storage underneath. Keeps everything dry and covered up. Covered up when not towing.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #18

Several have mentioned turbulence in the truck bed; there are definitely some weird aerodynamics going on back there. I was carrying an extremely heavy mesh tarp in front of the 5th wheel hitch, running 60MPH, and I saw the tarp become airborne and flip over the side of the bed! It ended up off the road. I am very careful about securing everything, and I would have never have thought that that heavy thing would move.
I don't mind carrying stuff in the bed, but I just hate loading stuff so I try to have everything stored in the 5er.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #19

Just came back from holiday weekend with kids and grand daughter. We were following them in our rig and I noticed something "dangling" from their trailer axle. They had thrown a pair of kids wet tennis shoes tied together by the laces in the truck bed. At least they didn't have to buy new shoes...
Old 06-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #20

Air style tailgate also helps to keep things in place......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
i love that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
carry 2 generators, a honey bucket, legs for my ramps.....i carry a trike scooter up behind cab, on a platform that expands from bed rail to bed rail....2 5 gal fuel cans, 1 diesel and 1 gas, in a 8' bed with a automatic slider
joycev1105a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #22

Go to love your rv on Utube search for his video on what he carries in the bed
michael huot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael huot View Post
Go to love your rv on Utube search for his video on what he carries in the bed
Wow, with a 8' box there is a lot of room back there.

This is my kinda guy, a little of everything to hopefully address a bit of anything
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #24

I did not see any mention of a truck box. A way to contain stuff and keep it covered and secure.

GT
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #25

Like the others said just be sure that things are secured properly and below the level of the rails and you will be fine. I did it that way for 9 years.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #26

Have a rolling cover.
Put a Roughneck large container that gets strapped to the cover canister, honda portable (2k) sits next to it (back-up, do a lot of dry). Behind that is the hitch. Behind that propane and spare spare tire (not on rim).
Watch the ratchet strap ends... don't ask. If you have long straps use duct tape to tape the ends tight. or they beat the stuffing out of what they hit. Make sure gas cans are full or tied well. They will go over the tailgate and down the front of the 5er.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #27

Know that the airflow is much different in the bed now. I have carried loose tie down straps in the bed of my truck for over 20 years now.

Last year I had some in the bed just like always. The draft picked one up and the free end went between my bed and my cab. The strap then caught on my drive line quickly sucking the 2 metal hooks and the ratchet into my back window. Traveling at 60 MPH I heard 3 almost gunshot sounds as my window spidered out (luckily it was aftermarket tinted). It was really not cool.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #28

I carry my generator in front of the hitch with the firewood. Behind the hitch is the coleman NXT gas grill. On long trips I throw a floor jack in the back too.

I don't advise putting wet tennis shoes back there... They will dissappear. Don't ask me how I know
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems